6600k with VEGA 64 / 1080 Ti / Volta (bottleneck?)

Hello!
So I currently have a 6600k paired with a 1060 6GB, along with a 144hz 1440p monitor (with freesync).
I feel like it certainly was perfect for 1080p 60hz, however not for 144hz 1440p.
But I feel like I wanna step up my game, and get a new graphics card (and upgrade the rest of the system as well, once I can afford it)
I am aiming to buy the new stuff on black Friday, since in Sweden we usually have some pretty sick sales around that time.
However.. there are plenty of options to choose from.

My first option is 1080 Ti, a very powerful card that most likely will be on sale,
however nvidia definitely does not support freesync, which seems pretty sweet.

My second option is RX Vega, which might get on sale (.. or might not), does support freesync.
However, since it is Sweden we are talking about, taxes might set it to up to 1000 dollars (9000 SEK),
making this maybe a bit too expensive.

And then the third option.. volta, which might not even be released by then.

The games that I will play are most likely: GTA 5, call of duty WW2, Civ 5-6, and maybe some battlefield 1 as well
My budget is max $1000, although the less I pay for that, the quicker I'll get my other hardware upgraded.

What would you guys suggest?

5 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

RX Vega is just around the corner, so you might as well wait for benchmarks and pricing.

True, however we pretty much know everything about it already

1 minute ago, olesien said:

True, however we pretty much know everything about it already

Also what the price in Sweden is going to be? And benchmarks from independent reviewers?

But let's say it's just a tiny bit better than the GTX 1080, for same pricing in the US, but about 50-100 dollars more in sweden?

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

No contest Vega is going to be terrible in the power consumption and therefore heat output department, so take that into account.

Yup, so what do you think?

Personally id go with the 1080 Ti Strix version because we know clock speeds and everything else on the card, but that might just be because im a sucker for the Asus versions of the GTX cards, as for the Vega it'll have higher power consumption and most likely higher heat output, so take that into account. And for the Volta, ff its not released by the time Black Friday hits don't even consider it.

Ok so 1080 Ti would be the best option?
Taking to account about freesync as well? (which will be VERY useful in games like civilization, but really pretty pointless in some like call of duty)

Just now, olesien said:

Ok so 1080 Ti would be the best option?
Taking to account about freesync as well? (which will be VERY useful in games like civilization, but really pretty pointless in some like call of duty)

If power consumption means nothing to you, Freesync is worth it imo. On the other hand Vega will not be as good as the 1080 Ti.

I have a 750W 80+ Gold so I'll probably be fine

Maybe.. I'll buy the one that's on sale the most? xD

Also how soon do you guys think I will be able to use my i5 6600k, before it starts being a bottleneck (as seeing the games start using more and more cores)?
Remember that I use 1440p 144hz

i5 6600k will starting bottlenecking a GTX 980ti/1070 already depending the game, for instance AC Unity and other CPU poorly optimized titles, I think getting a 1080ti with it would be waste with this processor unless you plan on playing 4k60hz, which isn't your case here.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Bottleneck depends 100% on following points:

- Your Software

- Your Settings

- Your expectations (how much fps do you "want" to get)

You "only" have an i5 CPU. For 60 Hz ( = 60 fps target) that's fine. But in Mind fo 144 hz, you might struggle to get 144 fps, even if your GPU would be fast enough for it. A mere i5 won't.

If you reduce Graphic settings to achieve 120+ fps in all your games, you will probably sit in a CPU limit in many games.

BUT: Even so, ask yourself 1 Question: Are those fps, your CPU is able to deliver, enough for YOU?

If YES: No problem. Who cares if there's a small Bottleneck here, or there. YOU have enough fps, everything is fine. Enjoy your game.

If NO: You will have to upgrade your CPU. Bios update your Motherboard, get an i7 7700k, and sell your i5 6600k. Won't be that much of a Price then. And you will be able to push much higher fps in those high regions of 120+ fps.

Sorry, Edit:

You do have a monitor, that supports Freesync. Forget Nvidia.

You are underestimating VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) damn hard.

Wait for Vega, get Vega. Be happy.

Depending on Games/engines, and how much YOU are sensible to Tearing / stuttering.. you WILL notice Freesync (or G-Sync) aLOT.

In some games, having G-Sync on vs. Off is for my Eyes a difference like Day and Night, despite me having a 165 Hz Monitor.

You have Freesync ---> Use it. You will NOT regret it.

Having like 80-90 fps with Freesync enabled feels MUCH smoother, than having unsynchronized 100-110 fps with Screentearing/stuttering 

That means, even if a GTX 1080 ti might deliver 10-20% more fps on paper, a Vega 64 might give you subjective smoother gameplay, thanks to Freesync.

1 minute ago, olesien said:

I will be upgrading asap though

I would personally leave it as it is to save and get something like an i7 8700k with a Volta GPU on 2018 Q1 if you're willing to stick with what you have for now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I would personally leave it as it is to save and get something like an i7 8700k with a Volta GPU on 2018 Q1 if you're willing to stick with what you have for now.

I thought of that as well, however what if there WOULD be a pretty good sale on black friday? would it be worth considering then?

10 minutes ago, olesien said:

I thought of that as well, however what if there WOULD be a pretty good sale on black friday? would it be worth considering then?

Totally, if you buy a 1080ti now and upgrade CPU on black friday it would work out nice, the i5 6600k will still be enough just won't allow you to have the utmost out of your monitor.

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Totally, if you buy a 1080ti now and upgrade CPU on black friday it would work out nice, the i5 6600k will still be enough just won't allow you to have the utmost out of your monitor.

No, I meant more like.. GPU on black friday and then CPU, motherboard and maybe RAM after Christmas or later?

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Personally i wouldnt say the new Intel chips will be worth having to upgrade your Mobo for. Settling for an already existing chip or changing to Ryzen might be the better option and then get the 1080 Ti. The I7-8700k wont support the current Mobo's after all so he'd probably be forced to go out and get either a x299 or x399 board for the cpu.

1 minute ago, Claus_B_DK said:

His current platform's already dead, the fastest processor he can get an i7 7700k becoming an i3 8300 on the next platform already, the i7 8700k is going to be the best gaming processor on the market capable of keeping up with the 1080ti to its full capacity what is exactly what he needs since he has the desire of high frame rate of 144fps on demanding titles.

Ryzen is not as good as for pushing a lot of frames, so no it is not the best alternative especially facing the bleeding edge latest i7, again the user case OP desires is high frame rates.

X299 and X399 are workstation for content creation platforms that are not needed at all for gaming and would be a waste of money.

I see you're a new member to the forum, allow me to advise you research better before going wrongly correcting other people.

Personal Desktop":

1 hour ago, olesien said:

Hello!
So I currently have a 6600k paired with a 1060 6GB, along with a 144hz 1440p monitor (with freesync).
I feel like it certainly was perfect for 1080p 60hz, however not for 144hz 1440p.
But I feel like I wanna step up my game, and get a new graphics card (and upgrade the rest of the system as well, once I can afford it)
I am aiming to buy the new stuff on black Friday, since in Sweden we usually have some pretty sick sales around that time.

My first option is 1080 Ti, a very powerful card that most likely will be on sale,

My second option is RX Vega, which might get on sale (.. or might not), does support freesync.
However, since it is Sweden we are talking about, taxes might set it to up to 1000 dollars (9000 SEK),

The games that I will play are most likely: GTA 5, call of duty WW2, Civ 5-6, and maybe some battlefield 1 as well
My budget is max $1000, although the less I pay for that, the quicker I'll get my other hardware upgraded.

RX Vega is around the corner and I'm sure it'll come faster than we expect.

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

His current platform's already dead, the fastest processor he can get an i7 7700k becoming an i3 8300 on the next platform already, the i7 8700k is going to be the best gaming processor on the market capable of keeping up with the 1080ti to its full capacity what is exactly what he needs since he has the desire of high frame rate of 144fps on demanding titles.

Ryzen is not as good as for pushing a lot of frames, so no it is not the best alternative especially facing the bleeding edge latest i7, again the user case OP desires is high frame rates.

X299 and X399 are workstation for content creation platforms that are not needed at all for gaming and would be a waste of money.

I see you're a new member to the forum, allow me to advise you research better before going wrongly correcting other people.

Indeed i am very new to this site and only joined a few hours ago, and im not to keen on all the pc stuff as most others, and im here to learn as much as i can, but from what i know the I7-6950X is still well capable of running the 1080 Ti at full capacity, but its one hell of an expensive CPU, im also aware of that. No matter what he will be needing to upgrade his motherboard as Intel have been out saying the I7-8700k wont be supporting the current motherboards.

6600k, 1080ti and rog pg278q here.....     buy what you can afford or is the best value and quit worrying about the rest!    If you can spend 700 dollars on a graphics card, i dont think thriftiness is much of a concern to begin with

even in games that I dont hit 144fps the gaming experience is still exceptionally fluid       

1 hour ago, olesien said:

Hello!

Take into account that vega has absurd power consumption for its actual performance... Which means more waste [heat generated] if not utilized efficiently.

I think nvidia has the edge in terms of efficiency if you ask me [coming from a 1080ti owner] but if ... you really need that freesync advantage, there is no other choice but amd then.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers