am i able to test my pc without cpu?

stevenly

hi, i just started building my pc and my cpu is coming in next week. I've already built and placed everything where they should be with everything plugged in. Am i able to test my pc if i turn on my psu and maybe see fans spinning. If so i've already tried, but nothing turns on could there be a problem?

my build is https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3LZ8tJ

No, the CPU is needed for the computer to even test itself. It's the brain. Come back if you have problems once you have the CPU installed. :)

I edit my posts a lot.

2 minutes ago, stevenly said:

hi, i just started building my pc and my cpu is coming in next week. I've already built and placed everything where they should be with everything plugged in. Am i able to test my pc if i turn on my psu and maybe see fans spinning. If so i've already tried, but nothing turns on could there be a problem?

my build is https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3LZ8tJ

I have tried this and I wasn't able to get the system to post.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

No, the CPU is needed for the computer to even test itself. It's the brain. Come back if you have problems once you have the CPU installed. :)

so i literally cant notice any sign of life until my cpu?

The CPU is required for the computer to work. You'll need that. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, stevenly said:

so i literally cant notice any sign of life until my cpu?

yup

In theory, there's nothing stopping you from pressing that power button... just that don't expect anything to happen since the brain is literally missing.

I know I've started my PC without RAM before and it the motherboard did power on... only to scream very loudly at me. So maybe it does the same without a CPU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You could always use an old PC. If there is no CPU installed all that will happen is that all the fans will spin at max and you wont get any post and lots of beep codes.Not really testing a PC then, your better off assembling your PC and then taking it from there. :) 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?