Core2Quad Workstation Machine with 6 Pin GPU Connector

Go to solution Solved by aisle9,
On 8/10/2017 at 11:27 AM, StarboyXO said:

Hello to everyone

My friend is facing a problem regarding his Workstation PC  ( HP Elite 8000 MID TOWER/Core2Quad ) Since he had no money to buy anything, He requested his relative to buy him a new graphics card which he did got from him, "MSI GTX 1050Ti GamingX". Now the problem he's facing is that his PC doesn't support the 6 Pin Power Connector which that GPU requires.As i told he can't afford any big upgrade to other machines, cpu e.t.c, He just wants the same alternate Workstation  Core2Quad Tower which can support 6pin connectors and might having a bigger supply(Not important as the gpu requires 300 Watts). I whould be thankful if someone can look up Workstaion computers for these suggested requirements. 

Please don't give advices  for changing GPU cuz he likes the MSI variant of the card and wants to play with it and Dont say on  upgrading to higher Cases,motherboards or cpu as i have told that there is no budget.

Waiting for your response

Peace <3 

IIRC, the PSU in the Elite 8000 uses a proprietary MB connector. If I'm recalling that correctly from the Elite 8000 that I flipped, a new PSU would require an adapter--but they do make those adapters.

The thing about Molex connectors, and why I do not recommend them in the slightest, is that any PSU ships with the connectors the OEM intends for you to use already built in. If your power supply doesn't have a PCIe connector already, it's because the OEM didn't design that PSU with the demands of a GPU in mind. It's entirely possible that you use the adapter for a year or more with nothing happening, as I've done with a cheapo Core 2 Duo system that I genuinely did not care about, but it's also possible that a cheaply-built Molex-to-anything adapter shorts out, fries something and/or catches fire. No joke.

The topic of Molex-to-SATA came up earlier. I think this was a typo, but I feel compelled to say it all the same: Molex-to-SATA, lose all your data. M2S connectors are very prone to shorts, overheating and fire., any one of which can damage the PSU, whatever it's connected to, your motherboard itself, hell, even your house if you're really unlucky.

To your original question, I would say that your friend is skunked based upon his original parameters unless I'm wrong about the proprietary PSU. If I am, change the PSU to something better and you're done. If I'm not, there are three options I see:

1. Trade out the Gaming X for this MSI model, which doesn't need a 6-pin. If the built in PSU is 320W, your friend is fine.

2. Find a PSU adapter so you can replace the PSU entirely with something more appropriate for the use case (CX450M would be more than enough)

3. Sell the entire PC (nuclear option) and replace it with one that supports an aftermarket PSU

Hello to everyone

My friend is facing a problem regarding his Workstation PC  ( HP Elite 8000 MID TOWER/Core2Quad ) Since he had no money to buy anything, He requested his relative to buy him a new graphics card which he did got from him, "MSI GTX 1050Ti GamingX". Now the problem he's facing is that his PC doesn't support the 6 Pin Power Connector which that GPU requires.As i told he can't afford any big upgrade to other machines, cpu e.t.c, He just wants the same alternate Workstation  Core2Quad Tower which can support 6pin connectors and might having a bigger supply(Not important as the gpu requires 300 Watts). I whould be thankful if someone can look up Workstaion computers for these suggested requirements. 

Please don't give advices  for changing GPU cuz he likes the MSI variant of the card and wants to play with it and Dont say on  upgrading to higher Cases,motherboards or cpu as i have told that there is no budget.

Peace <3 

I think easiest option would be a cheap second hand PSU that has a 6 pin PCIe power connector really...

You can get adapters to convert 2x molex plugs (or SATA) into a 6 pin, but that's generally not advisable.

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

Workstation Computers are not compitable for changing PSU. Well atleast in my case i cant change the PSU. It is what it is which is why i have to change the whole system to other which can support all that. 

19 minutes ago, StarboyXO said:

He just wants the same alternate Workstation  Core2Quad Tower which can support 6pin connectors and might having a bigger supply(Not important as the gpu requires 300 Watts)

The GPU does not require 300W, this is an estimated minimum wattage required for a complete system with a 1050Ti in it.

The HP elite 8000 comes with either a 240W or 320W PSU, so not enough or just barely. If you have the 320W version you could use a Molex/SATA to 6-pin adapter but like MrJoosh said it isn't really recommended, especially if you have a PSU so close to minimum specs.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

The GPU does not require 300W, this is an estimated minimum wattage required for a complete system with a 1050Ti in it.

The HP elite 8000 comes with either a 240W or 320W PSU, so not enough or just barely. If you have the 320W version you could use a Molex/SATA to 6-pin adapter but like MrJoosh said it isn't really recommended, especially if you have a PSU so close to minimum specs.

Im aware of what that card requires (75 Watts) and i've also tried this method with my Quadro FX 3800 which requires 110 Watts and it totally did'nt work thats why i want an alternate tower which can just support a genuine connector.  

13 minutes ago, StarboyXO said:

Im aware of what that card requires (75 Watts) and i've also tried this method with my Quadro FX 3800 which requires 110 Watts and it totally did'nt work thats why i want an alternate tower which can just support a genuine connector.  

So you're asking what case is best?

You mentioned earlier that workstation cases often don't accommodate ATX PSU's, with that comes the issue that most proprietary mobo's often don't have standardised mounting holes and often non-standard power connectors as well. On top of that the mobo itself is maybe a weird shape which may not fit an ATX case regardless of mounting holes. So you'll probably encounter more problems to build this system in a different case than 'modding' a regular PSU in this case.

If you at least have standard ATX power connectors on the motherboard your best bet is to buy a cheap 450W ATX PSU and, given the budget, just mod the case to make it fit. 

I've seen all these techniques on youtube but i dont find them relaible. I think you don't understand what my requirement is. Well you probably know how much workstation computers bound the user. Nothing is replacable. So what im asking is a Workstation Computer in which i only have to install my cpu by replacing and genuinly that  already has a bigger supply and all those connectors and shit. 

I JUST NEED A WORKSTATION COMPUTER WHICH HAS BIGGER SUPPLY . CAN YOU FIND ME A MODEL OR COMPUTER ...

Can't you do a 2x Molex to 1x 6-pin ?
GTX 1050 Ti isn't a power hog, and there are SFF versions without any external power connectors as well.
Here's an example : LINK.
110W and 75W are actually quite a bit different (so not working FX 3800 doesn't prove anything).
I would try 2x Molex/SATA to 6-pin adapter and see how it goes.
What Core 2 Quad he's got in there ?

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

10 minutes ago, StarboyXO said:

I've seen all these techniques on youtube but i dont find them relaible. I think you don't understand what my requirement is. Well you probably know how much workstation computers bound the user. Nothing is replacable. So what im asking is a Workstation Computer in which i only have to install my cpu by replacing and genuinly that  already has a bigger supply and all those connectors and shit. 

I JUST NEED A WORKSTATION COMPUTER WHICH HAS BIGGER SUPPLY . CAN YOU FIND ME A MODEL OR COMPUTER ...

No need to yell.

I'm quite confused by your terminology and your questions aren't very clear either. Also in your initial post you said "there is no budget" so, good luck finding a new PC without money.

I'm happy to help but could you please rephrase the question and perhaps provide more info on the hardware you have (maybe a photo), your budget and what you want the PC to do?

22 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

Can't you do a 2x Molex to 1x 6-pin ?
GTX 1050 Ti isn't a power hog, and there are SFF versions without any external power connectors as well.
Here's an example : LINK.
110W and 75W are actually quite a bit different (so not working FX 3800 doesn't prove anything).
I would try 2x Molex/SATA to 6-pin adapter and see how it goes.
What Core 2 Quad he's got in there ?

Ill surely try what you say if 2x molex to 6pin works but even if it works will it be okay ? i mean will it be risky later on plugging the card that way ? and he has Q9400 running at 2.6 Ghz (He won't be overclocking anything if thats what you were asking)

22 hours ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

No need to yell.

I'm quite confused by your terminology and your questions aren't very clear either. Also in your initial post you said "there is no budget" so, good luck finding a new PC without money.

I'm happy to help but could you please rephrase the question and perhaps provide more info on the hardware you have (maybe a photo), your budget and what you want the PC to do?

"There is no budget" What i meant with this is that we can spend 50 to 60$  for upgrading to any other Workstation PC Which can run my card by connectors instead of molex and i guess getting a pc from scratch will definetely cost more than that which we can't afford. What im saying is that almost every workstation PC i have seen don't have support for big cards. What if i can find a workstation which can support the card? But i can't find it.. But if  i get the kind of workstation i want. it still won't cost much due to it's office grade hardware. and it will also get the job done for me and my friend.

On 10.8.2017 at 5:51 PM, Jonathan Lemmens said:

DO NOT EVER DO THAT with a system that connects the peripherial connectors to the motherboard!

On 10.8.2017 at 5:27 PM, StarboyXO said:

Hello to everyone

My friend is facing a problem regarding his Workstation PC  ( HP Elite 8000 MID TOWER/Core2Quad )

(...)

Now the problem he's facing is that his PC doesn't support the 6 Pin Power Connector which that GPU requires

It is possible to use an ATX PSU with an adaptor. You have to either buy one or make an adaptor yourself.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-power-supply-upgarde/m-p/5467856/highlight/true

however it has to have DC-DC!

So the minimum is something like be quiet Pure Power 10 (NOT before 10!) or Corsair CX450/550 (NOT anything else!!)

"There is no budget" What i meant with this is that we can spend 50 to 60$  for upgrading to any other Workstation PC 

No need for that, when you just can replace the PSU!

And that indeed seems to be possible as the system does not use a +12V Standby rail for standby.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, StarboyXO said:

Ill surely try what you say if 2x molex to 6pin works but even if it works will it be okay ? i mean will it be risky later on plugging the card that way ? and he has Q9400 running at 2.6 Ghz (He won't be overclocking anything if thats what you were asking)

I wanted to know if it's 65nm or 45nm Quad Core :)
It's a 45nm (and not even high end one), so at least you don't have to worry about power.
In theory it's not risky at all (it should distribute power draw across more connectors).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Pls make picture of the computer!

The pictures I've found, do not show any molex connectors, only S-ATA

And those are connected to the motherboard, NOT the PSU!

So when you connect the GPU via Adaptor to these connectors, it might burn the Motherboard!!

On 8/11/2017 at 10:40 PM, Stefan Payne said:

Pls make picture of the computer!

The pictures I've found, do not show any molex connectors, only S-ATA

And those are connected to the motherboard, NOT the PSU!

So when you connect the GPU via Adaptor to these connectors, it might burn the Motherboard!!

I have experienced this before. My last workstation ran for an year. But later it burned due to the Molex connector powering the gpu . 

On 8/10/2017 at 11:27 AM, StarboyXO said:

Hello to everyone

Peace <3 

IIRC, the PSU in the Elite 8000 uses a proprietary MB connector. If I'm recalling that correctly from the Elite 8000 that I flipped, a new PSU would require an adapter--but they do make those adapters.

The thing about Molex connectors, and why I do not recommend them in the slightest, is that any PSU ships with the connectors the OEM intends for you to use already built in. If your power supply doesn't have a PCIe connector already, it's because the OEM didn't design that PSU with the demands of a GPU in mind. It's entirely possible that you use the adapter for a year or more with nothing happening, as I've done with a cheapo Core 2 Duo system that I genuinely did not care about, but it's also possible that a cheaply-built Molex-to-anything adapter shorts out, fries something and/or catches fire. No joke.

The topic of Molex-to-SATA came up earlier. I think this was a typo, but I feel compelled to say it all the same: Molex-to-SATA, lose all your data. M2S connectors are very prone to shorts, overheating and fire., any one of which can damage the PSU, whatever it's connected to, your motherboard itself, hell, even your house if you're really unlucky.

To your original question, I would say that your friend is skunked based upon his original parameters unless I'm wrong about the proprietary PSU. If I am, change the PSU to something better and you're done. If I'm not, there are three options I see:

1. Trade out the Gaming X for this MSI model, which doesn't need a 6-pin. If the built in PSU is 320W, your friend is fine.

2. Find a PSU adapter so you can replace the PSU entirely with something more appropriate for the use case (CX450M would be more than enough)

3. Sell the entire PC (nuclear option) and replace it with one that supports an aftermarket PSU

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

3 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Your right bro. The best 2 options I have are 

1. Replacing the card to other non connector version

2. Changing the system to other capable of that can handle the card easily.

What about something like this? A SATA Power to 6 pin PCI-E cable? Wont this be fine?

EDIT: Also Could buy this and wire the 6 pin cable through an extra pci slot and keep it outside the case.

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

4 hours ago, Tech22 said:

What about something like this? A SATA Power to 6 pin PCI-E cable? Wont this be fine?

No, because PCIe connector is rated for 75W or 6,25A.

And S-ATA only for about 2A or so.

So in other words: It will cause a fire under load. And that's not the only problem. Because in the System he uses, the S-ATA connectors are connected to the Motherboard with a Cable. Yes, for power, not just Data.

Because the VRM for S-ATA is on the Motherboard, the PSU is +12V only.

4 hours ago, Tech22 said:

EDIT: Also Could buy this and wire the 6 pin cable through an extra pci slot and keep it outside the case.

That won't work because it's a group regulated unit, voltages will be out of spec...

So with that in mind, the only option he has is get a good quality DC-DC unit with an adaptor to his Compaq. 

There seems to be adaptors available on amazone, so that's a pretty decent option, although a bit more costly. Because the System is +12V only, you _NEED_ a PSU with DC-DC...