Confused on how to install Vapoursynth on Linux

Running Ubuntu 17.03 (i think) Im new to linux, and I wanted to install SVP, Linux seems unfriendly to new comers

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Google it. What's the package name? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

First all of all, it never hurts to try "sudo apt-get install <INSERT NAME HERE>". If that doesn't work, did you download a specific file/folder? If it's in the form of a deb., do "sudo dpkg -i (or -install) <INSERT FILE NAME HERE>". If it in the form of a folder, look for a directory named "bin" inside of it. Inside that directory, look for a file name like <INSERT NAME HERE>.sh. Try running <INSERT NAME HERE>.sh.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Google it. What's the package name? 

Just now, Navbryce said:

First all of all, it never hurts to try "sudo apt-get install <INSERT NAME HERE>". If that doesn't work, did you download a specific file/folder? If it's in the form of a deb., do "sudo dpkg -i (or -install) <INSERT FILE NAME HERE>". If it in the form of a folder, look for a director named "bin" inside of it. Inside that directory, look for a file name like <INSERT NAME HERE>.sh. Try running <INSERT NAME HERE>.sh.

www.vapoursynth.com/doc/installation.html

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Try:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:djcj/vapoursynth" (Adds the vapor synth repository to your sources list)
"sudo apt-get update" (Downloads the new vaporsynth source information to your package manager but does not actually install or download 
all of the files?. just like "meta-data" ones)

"sudo apt-get install vaporsynth"

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

598c6e3613cf0_ScreenShot2017-08-10at9_31_02AM.png.89dba188112dd1304e0c244680ca8334.png

Says you need all these. I know Python and ImageMagick are already installed (at least they were when I used Ubuntu 16.04).

For the other ones, either look for them in the App Store, or install them through the Terminal. You'll need to start with

sudo apt-get update

enter your password, then type in

sudo apt-get upgrade

and when it's done, type in

sudo apt-get install packagename

To install more than one package, it goes like this:

sudo apt-get install package1 package2 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Navbryce said:

Try:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:djcj/vapoursynth" (Adds the vapor synth repository to your sources list)

"sudo apt-get update" (Downloads the new source information to your package manager but does not actually install or download 
all of the files?. just like data ones)

Don't forget sudo apt-get upgrade, it updates everything. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Navbryce said:

Try:

"sudo add-apt-repository ppa:djcj/vapoursynth" (Adds to your packages sources list)

"sudo apt-get update" (Downloads the new source information to your package manager but does not actually install or download 
all of the files?. just like data ones)

this is gay. It worked I think. Linux is weird.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Learn through experience! Now you know :D

Just now, Navbryce said:

Learn through experience! Now you know :D

I will contact you if I get confused again.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

edit: welp I didn't see all the other replies.........

That app isn't natively available in the Ubuntu repositories but you can add it using PPA. PPA are links provided by software developpers to include their software to the Ubuntu repositories. You should really take a minute or two to discover PPA if you don't know what they are as it allows you to install even more software or newer versions that aren't available on the regular Ubuntu repository.

https://launchpad.net/~djcj/+archive/ubuntu/vapoursynth

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:djcj/vapoursynth
sudo apt-get update

to add the vapoursynth repository to your system and then install it

sudo apt-get install vapoursynth vapoursynth-extra-plugins

(I think those are the right package names)

apt-get will then automatically update the software when applicable in the future.

There are a lot of newbie friendly places in the Linux community but not all are nice to us (I'm still a newbie to).

3 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Just so you know, `apt` is easier than `apt-get` if you're just a user. The syntax is simplified and you get a progress bar.

Use `apt help` to see what commands you can use. Also, `sudo` means Super User Do, or "Give me temporary admin powers."

Linux id weird at first, but once you get used to using a package manager, it's much more convenient and much safer than installing things like you do in Windows.

If you don't like using the terminal, you can use Synaptic Package Manager. If it's not already installed, use `sudo apt install synaptic` to install it. When you open up Synaptic, you'll see a list of all packages and you can install, update, remove or purge (removes the package and some configuration files) by right clicking on a package.

There's also the GNOME Software Store, which may or may not be installed by default, if you want something more like an app store. If it's not installed, use `sudo apt install gnome-software`.

Once you get used to the terminal, you'll find it more convenient that opening up a package manager or app store sometimes.