Vega crossfire vs 1080 ti sli

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Performance of Vega 64 falls just under the performance of a 1080. If you're going for zero compromises, I'd go for the 1080 Tis. Even one 1080 Ti would be more than enough, really.

Hi I am building a no compromise vr build exclusively for vr and video editing and was wondering which would be better to run in it for what I need, two 1080 ti oc or two Vega. I'm using a thread ripper 1950x and 64gb DDR4 3466mhz

It's pretty much safe to say that vega won't be as fast as a 1080ti. So if you want a no compromise build, go with the 1080ti's.

If you find any grammar or spelling errors please fill out entry permit A38, thanks.

Greetings from germany

Profilepicture by Chibiterasu-chan

Vega 64 competes with the 1080, so get the 1080 Tis. They are way more powerful in games, although, Vega may be better for video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Wait a little bit for the reviews to come out

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I would like to add SLI scaling seems to not be as good as it used to be, I don't know how crossfire scaling is so I can't speak for it. If I had to pick now I would go for the 1080 Tis unless I'm doing something that requires the Vega compute power.

There will be a liquid-cooled dual-GPU variant of Vega:

If you have FreeSync or G-sync, I would go with whichever one can make use of whichever adaptive-sync technology that your monitor has.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Performance of Vega 64 falls just under the performance of a 1080. If you're going for zero compromises, I'd go for the 1080 Tis. Even one 1080 Ti would be more than enough, really.

5 minutes ago, CaptainMike47 said:

I would like to add SLI scaling seems to not be as good as it used to be, I don't know how crossfire scaling is so I can't speak for it. If I had to pick now I would go for the 1080 Tis unless I'm doing something that requires the Vega compute power.

last i heard on that field was that crossfire had more stuttering but i dont have any first hand experience on either.

also, if i recall nvidia had this thing where SLI could put the gpus each towards rendering one eye or something, not sure if AMD has a similar tech, or if it even got implemented at all.

I would get 2 dual chip vega cards ;) that should put any other existimg combo into the dirt.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I would get 2 dual chip vega cards ;) that should put any other existimg combo into the dirt.

and quad gpu will be frikking stutterfest ;)

Just now, manikyath said:

and quad gpu will be frikking stutterfest ;)

I dunno, two of them would apparently have 100 tflops of fp16... try and beat that for editing xD

Just now, Damascus said:

I dunno, two of them would apparently have 100 tflops of fp16... try and beat that for editing xD

sure.. but stutterfest for gaming, which is a nono for VR ;)

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

sure.. but stutterfest for gaming, which is a nono for VR ;)

Honestly makes me wonder, is there a cap to the usefulness of upping your hardware for VR?   Beyond like 180,200, whatever, does it matter?  Resolution is set and comparatively low.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Honestly makes me wonder, is there a cap to the usefulness of upping your hardware for VR?   Beyond like 180,200, whatever, does it matter?  Resolution is set and comparatively low.

well.. the resolution is high but not extremely high, and the refresh rate is above average but not extreme as well..

the main thing tihat makes VR a tough nut to crack is the VERY high requirements when it comes to smoothness, the slightest stutter can get some people filling up the paper bags.

35 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

we don't know how vega performs yet... so who knows

AMD said they expect it to trade blows with the gtx 1080 so I'd say we have a pretty good idea.

If I get the liquid cooled vega for the rendering and editing aspect and then sli 1080 ti for vr and run them on sperate motherboards would that work?