Which brands of psu's are less problematic ?

Tadziunia

Hey people, friend asked me to build him new pc, but i haven't decidec which psu should i take, budget isn't problem it can be anything from 450w to 700w. Recently i built pc for my another friend, and i took corsair vs650 psu because i myself used that model for 4 years now and everything works fine, however, new one i took for my friend, produces ticking noise and that sound drive us insane, we will bring that psu back to shop for exchange. So i am afraid of taking something from corsair if they have this kind of problem. 

Any model/brand from this list in Tier 1 or 2 is great:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

None of them (with some exceptions). Don't shop by brand, it's no indication of reliability or quality. Most brands are just that, they don't actually make the PSUs, they use various OEMs for different units and put their stickers on them. 

Have a look at the PSU tier list we have here on the forum, it shows how PSUs stack up based on individual units, not the brand. It's generally advised to stick to tier 3 and up to ensure you get something that is good, but tier 4 is acceptable on a budget. I wouldn't advise going below that really. 

all brands have their ups and downs, its the specific models you need to look at, for example from the thread listed before.

that said, duds happen on just about any level. the reason why rockets go boom isnt (always) because they messed up, but sometimes they just have a bad o-ring.

3 hours ago, Tadziunia said:

Hey people, friend asked me to build him new pc, but i haven't decidec which psu should i take, budget isn't problem it can be anything from 450w to 700w. Recently i built pc for my another friend, and i took corsair vs650 psu because i myself used that model for 4 years now and everything works fine, however, new one i took for my friend, produces ticking noise and that sound drive us insane, we will bring that psu back to shop for exchange. So i am afraid of taking something from corsair if they have this kind of problem. 

The Corsair VS650 is a cheap unit so it's more likely to not be so great when compared to a higher-end unit like the HX. That said, Corsair doesn't actually "make" any of their PSUs - that's OEM outsourced to CWT or Great Wall in Corsair's case - and they have different tolerances for each PSU. You're not likely to have that problem with just any Corsair PSU in the same way you wouldn't likely have the same problem with a Honda that you had with a Lexus because they're both from Japan.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||