Alienware Area-51 THREADRIPPER EDITION

Alienware has the FIRST Threadripper-based system on the market - Does it live up to the hype?

Buy an Area 51 Threadripper Edition direct from Dell: http://geni.us/IHGiC

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

pre-embargo "review", Linus so lucky

whats up with hand written labels for the front IO?

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Ketchup and Mustard cables.:$

All cables are beautiful :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

All cables are beautiful :) 

Mines are not and I dare younto say otherwise 

14 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

5 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Why can't Alienware do some proper cable management and give you a good looking motherboard for that price?

How hard can it be?

To be fair to Alienware, and we did point this out in the video, the cable management in this Area-51 is pre-release. Retail versions will have more proper cable management done.

3 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

To be fair to Alienware, and we did point this out in the video, the cable management in this Area-51 is pre-release. Retail versions will have more proper cable management done.

Yh saw the disclaimer in the video

Hello

54 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

You guys totally forgot to mention it's RAM speed and timings. As if it's like Ryzen it's going to be super limited when using 4 sticks or when using dual rank RAM, which can impact it's performance a pretty good amount.

really though I don't know who the machine is for either. Angry Joe I guess because his upgrade will likely be free.

Also it's a threadripper system without Vega? You'd think AMD would throw some weight to make that happen.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You guys totally forgot to mention it's RAM speed and timings. As if it's like Ryzen it's going to be super limited when using 4 sticks or when using dual rank RAM, which can impact it's performance a pretty good amount.

really though I don't know who the machine is for either. Angry Joe I guess because his upgrade will likely be free.

Also it's a threadripper system without Vega? You'd think AMD would throw some weight to make that happen.

Threadripper does have quad channel memory support (details to come on why it isn't a problem like Ryzen), and the RAM used was single-rank 2666MHz. I don't have much more info to give right now, but we are tentatively planning to explore it in more detail after our initial review.

As for why no Vega, they probably don't want to go too far in with the new platform out of the gate, but Dell does have a Ryzen + RX 500-based Inspiron Gaming desktop.

1 hour ago, GabenJr said:

Threadripper does have quad channel memory support (details to come on why it isn't a problem like Ryzen), and the RAM used was single-rank 2666MHz. I don't have much more info to give right now, but we are tentatively planning to explore it in more detail after our initial review.

As for why no Vega, they probably don't want to go too far in with the new platform out of the gate, but Dell does have a Ryzen + RX 500-based Inspiron Gaming desktop.

Why review a pre-preduction CPU(blue frame TR1950x)? These scores are pretty low for the threadripper.

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Why can't Alienware do some proper cable management and give you a good looking motherboard for that price?

How hard can it be?

2 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

Only going to see them when you have the case open. Not a big deal, as long as the system works.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, 8KDPS said:

Why review a pre-preduction CPU(blue frame TR1950x)? These scores are pretty low for the threadripper.

I can't really comment on whether or not the Threadripper CPU scores were low for Threadripper, but I can confirm that when we swapped our CPU, we got higher numbers just like HotHardware. Unfortunately, we became aware of this too late in the process to go back, but bear in mind that this is a review of the system first, not Threadripper itself. That's coming later when the rest of the media are allowed to post their reviews

A 120mm AIO? What a piece of garbage xD 

Good joke.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Mines are not and I dare younto say otherwise 

otherwise

15 hours ago, GabenJr said:

To be fair to the buying public, I find it irresponsible for you to promise buyers that their desktop 'will have proper cable management done'. I'm struggling to understand why you would place your reputation on the line like this. Their idea of poor factory cable mngmnt is & always has been one click away to the latest owner unboxing videos on uTube. The same cable set in your test rig there has been in production for 3years now. it's the same cable set that Gamespot called out in 2014: 'Similarly disappointing are the modular cables, which are your basic mismatched OEM set, and again, given the cost, it's odd not to find a more aesthetically pleasing and sturdier set of wrapped cables inside'. 2009, 2014, 2017, nothing's changed. Most wires have no sleeve, some cables are only half-sleeved, the rest have reduced sleeve counts, all of it purposely done as a cost-cut, a budget set quickly hewn into a rat's nest by factory workers, no attention to detail, same as always. You should retract your statement that buyers will receive better than what they already saw, or amend it to say you 'hope' they do, because that is all you can say in good faith. It is Ill advised to rush to this company's defense the way you did. Show me one desktop in their 20year history that had proper cables & management

17 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Retail versions will have more proper cable management done.

If they're like current retail ones, they won't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 hours ago, Sgt. ShadoWolf said:

Did you just assume my cable color?

Yes, Yes I did.:P

Hello

9 hours ago, A Beautiful Lie said:

To be fair to the buying public, I find it irresponsible for you to promise buyers that their desktop 'will have proper cable management done'. I'm struggling to understand why you would place your reputation on the line like this. Their idea of poor factory cable mngmnt is & always has been one click away to the latest owner unboxing videos on uTube. The same cable set in your test rig there has been in production for 3years now. it's the same cable set that Gamespot called out in 2014: 'Similarly disappointing are the modular cables, which are your basic mismatched OEM set, and again, given the cost, it's odd not to find a more aesthetically pleasing and sturdier set of wrapped cables inside'. 2009, 2014, 2017, nothing's changed. Most wires have no sleeve, some cables are only half-sleeved, the rest have reduced sleeve counts, all of it purposely done as a cost-cut, a budget set quickly hewn into a rat's nest by factory workers, no attention to detail, same as always. You should retract your statement that buyers will receive better than what they already saw, or amend it to say you 'hope' they do, because that is all you can say in good faith. It is Ill advised to rush to this company's defense the way you did. Show me one desktop in their 20year history that had proper cables & management

I mean, I'm not defending them, I'm just saying what they said to us: That the cable management isn't indicative of the final product, and is messier than should be expected, which in spite of Alienware's history I'd believe is correct given that it's a pre-release unit and we had to deal with other caveats as a result. For example, there were cables connected to the PSU but just kind of hanging out doing nothing in the bottom of the chassis, which seems like something that would cost more time and money for an assembly line versus just keeping them in a box. I expect the final unit to be cleaner. This doesn't necessarily mean good cable management. Just better.

I don't quite know why saying that would set you off this way. I never said anything about the cables themselves being better - The power supply, its cables, and the general cost-down aesthetic the interior has are clearly pointed out in the video. I'm guessing you mistook what I said to mean that production units would have better cabling, which wasn't what I said or meant at all.