7700k vs 1600(x) vs 1700(x)

When I got my parts for my first ever build, I had a i7-6700k with an MSI motherboard and shortly returned it waiting for the 7700k.  However I held off the 7700k because of Ryzen disrupting marketplace if you will.  After around 6 months of going dormant, these past 2 months I did a lot of research.  At first it was Google/YouTube searches of 7700k vs 1700/1700x and seeing numerous gameplay and benchmark comparisons.  Because buying one of these cpus cost a good amount of money, I want to buy a new one that I will be confident in (buying and using) thus I am making this thread to ask the community for their own personal opinion, experience, knowledge and belief.  I hope this thread will ease the burden of posting a similar thread to some people.  

On an average day, I mostly do web browsing and watching videos while talking to my friends through Discord.  I guess I call myself a casual gamer as I play here and there.  Before I use to do Twitch streaming of an average of at least 3 times a week and now that I think of it, I was probably using low settings with OBS because of my CPU (4c 3.00 GHz).  If I was to get a new CPU, I would maybe start streaming my games at 720@60fps.

Examples of games I play (stuff 4 cores have an advantage on):

• American and Euro Truck Simulator
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Battlefield 1 (will get into after new build)
  • Arma 3 (I play when my friends play)

Multitasking stuff I do (stuff 6 or 8 cores have an advantage on):

• Streaming games (plan on doing)
  • Rendering (rare for me, don't do that often)

It's now between 7700k and the 1600 or 1700x

In regards to R5 v R7, I saw that the 1600 is more suited for gaming but on some benchmarks, I've seen the the 1600 and 1700 preform pretty much the same give or take a couple frames.  I would think the 1700(x) would do better in my opinion but before I buy I want to hear what others have to say.  And I plan on doing overclocking

Also I have corsair 16gb of ddr4 3200 MHz ram and still haven't decided on a motherboard.  

Thank you.

16 minutes ago, kennyfa34 said:

i'd personally get the 1700 as you mentioned you'll be streaming in the future, so having the extra 2 cores above the 1600 will help in playing a game and streaming at the same time. although you can stream with Shadowplay to twitch and have the gpu take care of that, but you will need an Nvidia card.

as for the motherboard, i'd just get any X370 board so you have room for SLI in the future.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 hours ago, SeanAngelo said:

i'd personally get the 1700 as you mentioned you'll be streaming in the future, so having the extra 2 cores above the 1600 will help in playing a game and streaming at the same time. although you can stream with Shadowplay to twitch and have the gpu take care of that, but you will need an Nvidia card.

as for the motherboard, i'd just get any X370 board so you have room for SLI in the future.

I don't have plans on SLing in the future, but is an x370 a better motherboard?  from what I hear it is better for overclocking which I plan on doing of course.

1 minute ago, kennyfa34 said:

I don't have plans on SLing in the future, but is an x370 a better motherboard?  from what I hear it is better for overclocking which I plan on doing of course.

to put it simply, yes. X370 is the way to go if you're overclocking. it has more features than B350.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

12 hours ago, kennyfa34 said:

When I got my parts for my first ever build, I had a i7-6700k with an MSI motherboard and shortly returned it waiting for the 7700k.  However I held off the 7700k because of Ryzen disrupting marketplace if you will.  After around 6 months of going dormant, these past 2 months I did a lot of research.  At first it was Google/YouTube searches of 7700k vs 1700/1700x and seeing numerous gameplay and benchmark comparisons.  Because buying one of these cpus cost a good amount of money, I want to buy a new one that I will be confident in (buying and using) thus I am making this thread to ask the community for their own personal opinion, experience, knowledge and belief.  I hope this thread will ease the burden of posting a similar thread to some people.  

On an average day, I mostly do web browsing and watching videos while talking to my friends through Discord.  I guess I call myself a casual gamer as I play here and there.  Before I use to do Twitch streaming of an average of at least 3 times a week and now that I think of it, I was probably using low settings with OBS because of my CPU (4c 3.00 GHz).  If I was to get a new CPU, I would maybe start streaming my games at 720@60fps.

Examples of games I play (stuff 4 cores have an advantage on):

• American and Euro Truck Simulator
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Battlefield 1 (will get into after new build)
  • Arma 3 (I play when my friends play)

Multitasking stuff I do (stuff 6 or 8 cores have an advantage on):

• Streaming games (plan on doing)
  • Rendering (rare for me, don't do that often)

It's now between 7700k and the 1600 or 1700x

In regards to R5 v R7, I saw that the 1600 is more suited for gaming but on some benchmarks, I've seen the the 1600 and 1700 preform pretty much the same give or take a couple frames.  I would think the 1700(x) would do better in my opinion but before I buy I want to hear what others have to say.  And I plan on doing overclocking

Also I have corsair 16gb of ddr4 3200 MHz ram and still haven't decided on a motherboard.  

Thank you.

Why would you want to upgrade your PC? It is quite high end for your listed usage.

Totally not worth it for you to upgrade to ryzen. It will be just a sidegrade.

I would recommend you for zen2 or next cannonlake or whatever they call.

Maybe try overclock your cpu if you havent.

1 hour ago, NoMercy said:

Why would you want to upgrade your PC? It is quite high end for your listed usage.

Totally not worth it for you to upgrade to ryzen. It will be just a sidegrade.

I would recommend you for zen2 or next cannonlake or whatever they call.

Maybe try overclock your cpu if you havent.

OP doesn't have a pc at all right now.  Also, I went from 6700k 4.6ghz to a 1700 3.6ghz and haven't regretted it once.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

OP doesn't have a pc at all right now.  Also, I went from 6700k 4.6ghz to a 1700 3.6ghz and haven't regretted it once.

Oops i missed out the part he returned the 6700k.

Ofcourse if OP is building new PC then 1700 is the best i can think of.

Anyway, going from 6700k to 1700 is really not worth the money, especially for casual gamer like how OP described himself. I guess you don't play much games, or you need those cores for productivity task, then it make sense.

13 hours ago, Damascus said:

IMO a 1700 non x is bae

Completely agree

AMD 1700 4ghz - sli 980tis 1554- crosshair hero 6- xb271hu- 16gb ram at 3200mhz

1 hour ago, NoMercy said:

Oops i missed out the part he returned the 6700k.

Ofcourse if OP is building new PC then 1700 is the best i can think of.

Anyway, going from 6700k to 1700 is really not worth the money, especially for casual gamer like how OP described himself. I guess you don't play much games, or you need those cores for productivity task, then it make sense.

Yep, for me it was being able to game/edit/model as I rendered whatever project I was working on.

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

Cores help a lot, I actually saw a small yet present improvement when I bought this second hand i7 3970x that's 6c/12t, Kaby Lake was a mistake that should not have existed as the i7 8700/8700k might actually become a great purchase but for now Ryzen still deserves the market share way more.

I'm probably only advising Intel heartfully when 10nm processors arrive.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Kaby Lake was a mistake that should not have existed

Wholeheartedly agree here, I actually recommend the 6700 (k,t) over kaby chips as the TIM is just so atrocious and the upgrade minimal