What is RX Vega's purpose?

Armakar
3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

I completely agree, Volta will be epic BUt *See below

I'm not talking about Volta Vs Vega.. vega's fight is with 10xx and the next thing they release will fight Volta. I'm talking about over the past few years it goes like this.. Don't buy a 980Ti 10xx is coming out.. Years later 10xx Comes out.. Don't buy 10xx Vega is coming out soon.. Vega comes out.. Dont buy Vega Volta is coming out soon. After Volta comes out Don't buy volta buy Penutbutter coming out soon. 

It never bloody ends, right now, Don't bother with Volta OR vega, if you want the best buy the 1080Ti, ONCE volta gets a release date and its only a month or two away than wait but since we don't have squat on Volta besides the name and the hype there is zero point in holding off. 

Thats my point, not anything to do with Vega Vs Volta. 

oh i agree! Volta will be for the absolute hardest hitting users who have seemingly bottomless pockets. to suggest that a 1080ti just wont be enough for a new builder once Volta drops is just an ignorant thing to say.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 hour ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

The prices are supposed to be around the same, the $800+ ones were false.

It's exciting because it's AMD's first high end card in a while. But with that being said Volta (GTX 1100 series) is probably going to come around the corner and make Vega pointless (without a price drop)

Volta is half a year away.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Just now, sgloux3470 said:

Volta is half a year away.

Exactly. That's not that long.

I'm not saying Vega is bad, it's just late (unless it does end up outperforming the 10 series)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Exactly. That's not that long.

I'm not saying Vega is bad, it's just late (unless it does end up outperforming the 10 series)

Long enough to sell Vega cards.  

Especially if Volta pulls a Maxwell and isn't a big leap in performance.

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

To the OP you made a valid point that I never thought of. Volta is coming soon, AMD is late to the party. Soon Nvidia will be right back on top.

Nvidia is still on top honestly, the 1080 has enjoyed 15 months without any competition and now it's the same price and performance than Vega 64, consuming A LOT less, and with probably better overclockability. Not to mention, the 1080 Ti is still untouched.

Hello Armakar, I've read through the thread and many people seem to be looking at this qualitatively. I am not a technology expert but I have studied consumerism and consumer culture for a long while. Steve Jobs often stated that in order for one to achieve success in the market, one must create a culture that surrounds the product. Nvidia and Intel for the longest time, have not established a culture around themselves. Think about it, why would they? They've got the monopoly in check, but not anymore. AMD has proven itself to be a formidable opponent and even I have come to my senses and recognize Intel's lack of quality. Now that they have established themselves as a company, the CEO seems hellbent on creating a culture around its products and you can see it through the release of Vega.

Capitalizing on Etherum mining fallouts, AMD markets its Vega lineup through the use of bundles, coupons and dealbreaking discounts. To a gamer and enthusiasts, the bundle is an absolute steal, especially when it features new games, motherboards and nort to mention that swanking asus monitor! To a selfish Etherum establishment? Who the hell wants to buy 40 bundles just to get a graphics card? Especially the value of the things offered would diminish as a result. To us enthusiasts and content creators, AMD has found a place in our hearts and while they may be exploiting the passionate partisan in all of us, we certainly consent and invite such "hardware nationalism." We support it even if it ironically causes anti-competition sentiment to arise. 

So what is the purpose of RX Vega? It's a product that offers a plethora of discounts for those wanting to get into the enthusiast consumer culture and partake in the discourse surrounding high-end performance without having to compete with cryptominers and pay out their nose. Yes, technology is part of the reason and AMD is passionate about its partners and game developers but the truth is, the 1080ti still reigns supreme in performance, even though it's a slashed Titan. What matters here is the culture behind AMD, people vouch for team red and will invest out of love. If you think this is all tosh pot talk, then ask any marketing expert as to why people still massively consume Apple products despite the irrelevant price to performance ratios and undeniably inflated marketing schemes.

On 8/1/2017 at 1:06 PM, Megah3rtz said:

RX Vega would be amazing if it were last summer, but that would be an impossible target as they were already rushed for this summer.. 

Feels like AMD is always one step behind for GPUs. 

should we wait for vega ?

Just now, noobee said:

should we wait for vega ?

If you're excited for Freesync 2.0 sure. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

If you're excited for Freesync 2.0 sure. 

better wait for vega 56 than buy 1070 now?

1 minute ago, noobee said:

better wait for vega 56 than buy 1070 now?

The RX vega cards likely wont have good coolers until atleast september. I'd just get whichever has a better price tbh.

1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

The RX vega cards likely wont have good coolers until atleast september. I'd just get whichever has a better price tbh.

The stock cooler would be fine with me. vega 56 would be about $399, so around the same with 1070?

8 minutes ago, noobee said:

The stock cooler would be fine with me. vega 56 would be about $399, so around the same with 1070?

I would hope. 

amd go fucked by hbm2 being super late to market (delayed 3 times and still not here at its full frequency of 1ghz)

vega will do fine in games and will be excellent for compute, some games have announced fp16 support which means great perf, amd suffers from trying to inovate too much and not having enough dev support for their innovations to be leverage.

we still don't have the final numbers of vega's perf, so i will wait until then for my final judgment.

On 8/1/2017 at 7:59 AM, sgloux3470 said:

Long enough to sell Vega cards.  

Especially if Volta pulls a Maxwell and isn't a big leap in performance.

I re-read that to be sure I understood you correctly. Maxwell not a big leap in performance? Wut? Maxwell vs Kepler is a similar leap to Vega vs Fury X even though Vega is both a new architecture AND a node shrink. If Volta shows the "small leap" of Kepler to Maxwell, that means 1080ti performance at 1070 price. I think it's unlikely this time around, but who knows. And even if it's not that impressive, Volta should be enough of an upgrade to render Vega virtually useless at the announced MSRP. And this might happen too close to the Vega release date for AMD to make enough profit unfortunately... I know this is all speculation, but I don't see why it would be different. The only way the improvements would be really underwhelming is if nvidia decides to simply refresh pascal instead of bringing Volta to the consumer market. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

2 hours ago, roylapoutre said:

I re-read that to be sure I understood you correctly. Maxwell not a big leap in performance? Wut? 

I suppose it depends what you compare it to.  I compare the 980 to the 780Ti because the 780 was just a cut down 780ti and the 980 was also a fully unlocked chip.

The 980 was marginally faster than the 780ti.  5% ish.

The 970 was quite a bit faster than the 770, but marginally compared to the 780 (which as per above is the more apt comparison, since 970 is a cut down 980) it was around 6% faster.

960 was barely any better than the 760.  Roughly 10-15% depending on the title.  

I would expect Nvidia to do the exact same thing they've done for awhile now.

GTX 2080 will be around 1080ti speeds with a good overclock for $649 MSRP (we'll see if they do founders edition nonsense again)

GTX 2070 will be a cut down 2080 and match the 1080 almost exactly for $449 MSRP

In that case Vega54/64 will still be price competitive with Volta's offerings just like how the R290/290x were still quite competitive vs the GTX970/980.