Mining Profits Decreasing?

Hello Linus Tech Tips Community :)

So I am currently testing out a mining rig that consists of 3x 1080 Ti's, 2x 1080's, and 1x 1070.

A few months back I saw a YouTube video where the individual was consistently mining ~$20 a day with 2x 1080 Ti's. Here I am with much more video card power, but I am only able to mine about $~12 a day with the NiceHash Miner.

Is this just the way it goes, profitability decreasing over time? Or am I doing something wrong. My Biostar mining motherboard's BIOS was also adjusted accordingly. 

Any ideas? Thanks. 

Well lets see...

Harder difficulty->more valid shares (aka hashing power) required to get the same result (or a block)

Lower value of ETH now (as a couple of months ago, it hit $400~ per eth)

The combination of a higher difficulty and a lower value of ETH, earning less is expected. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

it decreases over time because difficulty increases with the power of the pool. The more miners there are online, the harder it is for each unit to mine.

And thanks largely to some tech bloggers opening their big fat mouths about it to every Tom, Dick, Sally, and Susan highschool gamer, you now have over half a million more high powered GPUs mining than just a few months ago. I was mining at about $7/day per 1070. I'm now down to just over $1.50/day.

to get paid for the time and effort, you're now looking at ASIC miners.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, Massimo480 said:

So I am currently testing out a mining rig that consists of 3x 1080 Ti's, 2x 1080's, and 1x 1070.

A few months back I saw a YouTube video where the individual was consistently mining ~$20 a day with 2x 1080 Ti's. Here I am with much more video card power, but I am only able to mine about $~12 a day with the NiceHash Miner.

Is this just the way it goes, profitability decreasing over time? Or am I doing something wrong. My Biostar mining motherboard's BIOS was also adjusted accordingly. 

Any ideas? Thanks. 

Difficulty is always increasing. So, it is more and more work for the same result. Then more and more people are mining every single day. Expect a steady decrease in returns overtime. 

Take a look at the coin market here: https://coinmarketcap.com/ If bitcoin stays up they will all keep climbing too, that's where your profitability actually comes from. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

2 hours ago, Massimo480 said:

Any ideas? Thanks. 

difficulty increases over time

it sucks

i like trains 🙂

Difficulty increases the more compute power working on crypto coins.

Also, with mining, you must calculate your power draw per card and system for the cost of running.  Another tip, lower TDP on Nvidia cards unless you don't pay for the electric bill.

I run two of my GTX1070s at 65% TDP with a slight OC on the RAM with NiceHash miner (you can also select the miners you want NiceHash to run).  You can still make money, just not a whole lot with huge amount of newbie miners on NiceHash at the moment.  Pretty much covers my monthly bill for my two computers with a bit of profit (my 2nd rig is a 24/7 F@H/BOINC setup).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU