AMD moving away from multi-GPU too?

13 hours ago, Notional said:

No wonder. Hardly anyone in the total gaming spectre uses dual GPU's. Say you make a new Dishonored game for the 2 consoles and PC. Say PC is 1/3rd or even half the total player base. Out of those, how many actually have dual GPU setups? 1-3%? Your graphics engine has to be programmed from the ground up to utilize multi GPU's properly. It's just a huge cost and added complexity for hardly any benefit. The time and money spent would yield much better results used elsewhere.

I feel thats because as games stopped supporting it, or had abysmal support on release, there was less incentive to run dual gpu. I used to run quad-fire until early last year.

If games still had excellent support tgen i wpuld still crossfire. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Shitpost: AMD at the best of times never had Crossfire working even half as well as SLI.  You want to see how cobbled together and broken AMD drivers are, try running Crossfire.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

fuck that shit...

besides Ashes of the SIngularity we don't even have EMA games yet... we don't even have that many DX12 games yet...

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Shitpost: AMD at the best of times never had Crossfire working even half as well as SLI.  You want to see how cobbled together and broken AMD drivers are, try running Crossfire.

it's fine...

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

LOL I can't imagine Vega with Crossfire. xD  You'd need like 1000W just for the GPU's.

no more than Fury Crossfire

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Been running crossfire rock solid on my 290X's since day one, got reference Asus on water. Think I've only had to hard disable it on two games.

My steam library has 300 games too and not crap indy ones either.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's two years old.

you're two years old!

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

I feel thats because as games stopped supporting it, or had abysmal support on release, there was less incentive to run dual gpu. I used to run quad-fire until early last year.

If games still had excellent support tgen i wpuld still crossfire. 

Sure, it's a chicken and the egg problem. However I feel SLI and Crossfire aren't practical for most people anyway for the following reasons:

• You need a system that can support it.
  • Two midrange cards to match a high end card makes little sense. It'll eat more power, dump more heat, and have effectively less VRAM (though this may not be the case)
  • Waiting to add a card also seems to make little sense if it's not a short enough wait. Let's assume the average lifecycle of a GPU is 2 years. If you want a year to upgrade and want a second GPU later, by the time you probably can afford to drop money on said GPU, the next gen is out and you may as well just upgrade to that.
  • And this maxim I heard a long time ago: You get next-gen performance with current-gen features (or current-gen performance with last-gen features).

If multi-GPU just dies, I won't be very happy. I can deal with lack of 3/4-way support, mostly 'cause I can't imagine doing that, but 2-way support should stay. Hell, I'd be fine if it was only supported on top-end cards, 'cause that's the only point where you can't actually improve performance by stepping up a product tier.

-This of course coming from someone with a dedicated PhysX card, so I feel like I both am and am not the demographic to complain about it...

In the end, if multi-GPU completely dies, even if it never really affects me, I'll be pissed about the loss of an option.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

18 hours ago, leadeater said:

Are they just moving away from Crossfire itself and letting DX12 multi GPU take over instead, if devs want to use it of course. Not much point maintaing Crossfire driver support and the issues that brings with it if it can be done natively in API.

Massively agree here, this should be done at the API level and both DX12 and Vulkan support Multi-GPU configurations without the need for driver level implementation... Just needs developers to take the support of it seriously.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Aww come on... They gotta at least leave dual SLI/CF. Mainly just because it looks so fucking cool. :(

(Yeah, yeah, I understand the reasoning and agree, but it's still sad.)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

7 hours ago, Falconevo said:

Massively agree here, this should be done at the API level and both DX12 and Vulkan support Multi-GPU configurations without the need for driver level implementation... Just needs developers to take the support of it seriously.

so does the DX11, you can also easily and natively do AFR on Direct X 11, nobody just bothered enough, I can't imagine they will bother on next-Gen....

Maybe if consoles adopt multi-GPU just as they embraced x86 platform, maybe then...