Internal IP Address (Router settings)

Go to solution Solved by KuJoe,
Just now, Diliglont said:

Um, i don't know if it's called a router or a modem, but the internet cable coming from my window goes into this box, and then into my pc. Linus doesn't have a video on the difference sadly :) What could someone do by knowing my ip? (offtopic)

All signs point to it not being a router sadly. You can contact your ISP for more info but based on your description and your screenshot it looks like a modem/VPN appliance.

If your network isn't locked down (and from the looks of your post you're probably just running the default firewall) it can cause some issues if somebody wanted to target you for some reason. In reality probably nothing will happen but if somebody wanted to be a jerk they could knock you offline for a while so it's safer to just not publicly post your IP to make it a little harder for somebody to ruin your day.

Hello, forums. I've ran into a bit of trouble lately. I've been trying to reach my router's settings, by typing the default gateway ip into a browser. However, typing into cmd ipconfig resulted in the attached image file, a print screen of the command prompt. As you can see, for Lan, the default gateway field is empty. Why is this? I haven't found any info in the documentation of the router, which i've found here.

Thanks in advance, and i hope it's not something complicated.

mypic.png

If you get a 169.254.x.x IP in Windows is means it cannot pull a DHCP IP address. It looks like you have a PPP tunnel (point-to-point) setup between your PC and another network device. If that other device is your router then your router's IP is most likely 1 digit off the last octet (so in this case either 215 or 217).

-KuJoe

I just looked up that 79.x.x.x IP and noticed it's an IP from rdsnet.ro which is a consumer ISP so I'm guessing you don't have an actual router on your home network but instead have some form of DSL maybe? I've never seen a broadband connection using PPP before so that's why I'm guessing that. Then again I've only managed US connections so this might be something they do in your country that I'm not familiar with.

Also, I would block out your public IP in your screenshot for security/privacy reasons. :)

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

If you get a 169.254.x.x IP in Windows is means it cannot pull a DHCP IP address. It looks like you have a PPP tunnel (point-to-point) setup between your PC and another network device. If that other device is your router then your router's IP is most likely 1 digit off the last octet (so in this case either 215 or 217).

So, in more user friendly terms, to get into my router, i should just open chrome and connect to http://79.119.120.217/ or http://79.119.120.215/ ?

So, in more user friendly terms, to get into my router, i should just open chrome and connect to http://79.119.120.217/ or http://79.119.120.215/ ?

I don't think that will work, those two IPs are most likely the end points on your ISP's side so you won't have access to them. Can you provide the make and model of your router? Is it an ISP provided router? If so, it looks like it might just be a VPN appliance that configures the PPP link for you.

-KuJoe

A 169.254 address indicates you've got an APIPA address.  Indicates you're not pulling from a DHCP pool and or a DHCP server cannot be reached.

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I just looked up that 79.x.x.x IP and noticed it's an IP from rdsnet.ro which is a consumer ISP so I'm guessing you don't have an actual router on your home network but instead have some form of DSL maybe? I've never seen a broadband connection using PPP before so that's why I'm guessing that. Then again I've only managed US connections so this might be something they do in your country that I'm not familiar with.

Also, I would block out your public IP in your screenshot for security/privacy reasons. :)

Um, i don't know if it's called a router or a modem, but the internet cable coming from my window goes into this box, and then into my pc. Linus doesn't have a video on the difference sadly :) What could someone do by knowing my ip? (offtopic)

Well, guess what, it actually is complicated. This is the make and model. Huawei EchoLife HG865 it says on it. I can't take a picture, literally no camera for that. And yes, it is brought by the ISP, i didn't buy it myself.

Maybe send a DoS or DDOS attack your way but that's pretty pointless for residential connections these days. Beyond that, nothing much aside be annoying at best :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Maybe send a DoS or DDOS attack your way but that's pretty pointless for residential connections these days. Beyond that, nothing much aside be annoying at best :) 

Well, thanks, i'm feeling better right now. :)

All signs point to it not being a router sadly. You can contact your ISP for more info but based on your description and your screenshot it looks like a modem/VPN appliance.

If your network isn't locked down (and from the looks of your post you're probably just running the default firewall) it can cause some issues if somebody wanted to target you for some reason. In reality probably nothing will happen but if somebody wanted to be a jerk they could knock you offline for a while so it's safer to just not publicly post your IP to make it a little harder for somebody to ruin your day.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

So i can only solve this by talking to the ISP? They're asses, big time. But hey, thanks for clearing out. I will wikipedia everything, to fully understand all the acronyms you guys threw at me. Thanks, everyone !

2 minutes ago, Diliglont said:

Well, guess what, it actually is complicated. This is the make and model. Huawei EchoLife HG865 it says on it. I can't take a picture, literally no camera for that. And yes, it is brought by the ISP, i didn't buy it myself.

Yup, it's an ONT which is basically a modem (converts the fiber to ethernet). Even if you did have access to manage it, I wouldn't.

-KuJoe

One thing you can do is buy a router and plug it into that ONT and then your PC into the router. Then you have a router you can manage. :)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

One thing you can do is buy a router and plug it into that ONT and then your PC into the router. Then you have a router you can manage. :)

Would that also stop the ip from changing? Because, and i have only noticed this recently, my ip is different every time i boot up the pc.

Can't i just use the theoretical new router without this ONT? Simply plug the cable into the router and another one into the pc, i mean.

Edited by Diliglont
Edited for completion and typo

Would that also stop the ip from changing? Because, and i have only noticed this recently, my ip is different every time i boot up the pc.

It should. Assuming it's not your ISP changing it manually then having a router connected and running 24x7 should force it to hold the IP address.

-KuJoe

-Moved thread to Networking-

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q