i got some questions about internet speed

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
Just now, Volde said:

can changing the antena stop that from happening?

It's possible, yes.

You'll need to see if you can find one rated for temps in the negatives to be safe :) 

my parents ordered 12 mb/s internet speed and on my phone when i test internet speed i get 12 mb/s and on my pc when i test it also shows 12 mb/s ,but when i try to download a game it dosent go up above 800 kb/s. and also in the winter when temperatures drop below 0 C  i get a yellow triangle on the the botom right corner then i have to go unplug wait and plug back in the cable. i dont know what causes this problem is it my router or my pc cant direct that much information. we have a antena that goes in to one router then from that router to a adapter then to another router and then to the pc. oh and also when i try to actualy download something on my phone the speed turns crap too

If you have multiple devices connected to your modem/router and they are accessing the internet then it'll slow down the speed. The triangle means you don't have a good enough signal.

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

If you have multiple devices connected to your modem/router and they are accessing the internet then it'll slow down the speed. The triangle means you don't have a good enough signal.

no i tested when everything else was off and i tested my internet speed first, then imediatly a game download and the speeds where difrent

Just now, Volde said:

no i tested when everything else was off and i tested my internet speed first, then imediatly a game download and the speeds where difrent

It could be latency or whatever server you were downloading games from didn't have good enough upload speed. If you are using Wi-Fi that could be the problem. The advertised speeds are representative of wired (ethernet) connection.

Just now, That_PC_Kid said:

It could be latency or whatever server you were downloading games from didn't have good enough upload speed. If you are using Wi-Fi that could be the problem. The advertised speeds are representative of wired (ethernet) connection.

i dont use wifi everything is cabeled from antena to my pc and this happens on every game i download, on steam it only goes to about 730 kb/s when i download overwach it also shows somewhere around 730 kb/s. and whe does the triangle thing only happen during winter never hapened during summer

3 minutes ago, Nathat23 said:

did they order 12 megabits or 12 megabytes?

when i test it shows Mb not MB so i think megabits

Where are you downloading the game from?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Volde said:

i dont use wifi everything is cabeled from antena to my pc and this happens on every game i download, on steam it only goes to about 730 kb/s when i download overwach it also shows somewhere around 730 kb/s. and whe does the triangle thing only happen during winter never hapened during summer

That's something you're gonna have to ask your ISP about then. It could be because of a bad signal due to your antenna but I've never delt with internet using an antenna. I've only delt with IPL.

3 minutes ago, Volde said:

when i test it shows Mb not MB so i think megabits

Yes, internet speeds are advertised and measured in megabits/kilobits per second.

3 minutes ago, That_PC_Kid said:

Yes, internet speeds are advertised and measured in megabits/kilobits per second.

so you mean like if i have a 12 megabit/s internet it is more like 1 megabyte?

Just now, Volde said:

1 megabyte is equal to 8 megabits. So 12Mb would be roughly 1.5MB

Steam, by default, displays downloads in MB/s so if you're getting roughly 850KB/s download then you're getting about half of your download speed (~6.8Mb/s)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also the location that you are getting the game from has to be able to give you file at faster speeds than that. If they only allow for downloads at 800kbs that is all you are going to get.

1 minute ago, Volde said:

8 Megabit is 1 Megabyte, so if you have 12 Megabits you should see a speed of around 1.5 MB/s

Just now, Lurick said:

1 megabyte is equal to 8 megabits. So 12Mb would be roughly 1.5MB

Steam, by default, displays downloads in MB/s so if you're getting roughly 850KB/s download then you're getting about half of your download speed (~6.8Mb/s)

so everything is as it should be and i just didnt know the difrance betwen Mb and MB

Just now, Volde said:

so everything is as it should be and i just didnt know the difrance betwen Mb and MB

Just wait until I throw in MiB which is equal to 1.04858 MB :D 

Because standards are tough and nobody follows just one, lol

It's that difference between the small b and big B that's tough to realize but now you know :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Volde said:

there are 8 Bits in 1 Byte.

Just now, Lurick said:

Just wait until I throw in MiB which is equal to 1.04858 MB :D 

Because standards are tough and nobody follows just one, lol

It's that difference between the small b and big B that's tough to realize but now you know :) 

but now on the other thing  with the triangle and why it only happens on winter does the antena freze or something

Just now, Volde said:

but now on the other thing  with the triangle and why it only happens on winter does the antena freze or something

Yah, if electronics get too cold they can have trouble working, or stop working all together.

Ideal temperatures are between 50F and 100F (10C to 40C) I think.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, if electronics get too cold they can have trouble working, or stop working all together.

Ideal temperatures are between 50F and 100F I think.

Just now, Volde said:

It's possible, yes.

You'll need to see if you can find one rated for temps in the negatives to be safe :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

It's possible, yes.

thanks for the help