Dear 'Ol Linus' (I know I'm not the first)

Actually the problem went beyond thumbnails and titles. Whats with all the swearing Linus?

In the past there wasn't a single one of them but now it's in almost every videos and I'm pretty sure it's intentional. So you're telling me swearing increases revenue too? The main audience of this channel is now elementary school kids who are amused by that? If that's true I am sorry I am overaged to be your audience and will stop watching.

I do fucking swear too but I can't think of a single benefit adding it in videos. It only makes them look even less professional than they already are.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

People who call the videos click-bait have never seen real click-bait.  Something that peaks your interest is not click-bait.  A fancy thumbnail is not click-bait.

Agreed, something like "I almost died" and then talk about something totally different is click bait or someone reviewing a product saying "could this be the one?"

5 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Agreed, something like "I almost died" and then talk about something totally different is click bait or someone reviewing a product saying "could this be the one?"

"Graphics card companies are outraged by this simple tweak to triple your performance"

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

The only click-baity thing there is the "This $7000 card does WHAT?? Holy $HIT".

All the old video thumbnails look boring.

Tbh dosnt really seem click bait the most click bait out of all of them is the smallest sli set up, but still ltt dosnt seem to be click baity compared to what other people have posted for examples ltt normally has a title and picture about the product they are doing something with. And the red rocket card dose cost $7000 and he did say what it did just fyi.

If I'd only never used the letters that form the words 'click bait'.  From here on out, please can we just pretend I never used THOSE words.

42 minutes ago, mach said:

Actually the problem went beyond thumbnails and titles. Whats with all the swearing Linus?

In the past there wasn't a single one of them but now it's in almost every videos and I'm pretty sure it's intentional. So you're telling me swearing increases revenue too? The main audience of this channel is now elementary school kids who are amused by that? If that's true I am sorry I am overaged to be your audience and will stop watching.

I do fucking swear too but I can't think of a single benefit adding it in videos. It only makes them look even less professional than they already are.

Makes me sad too, since I gotta keep the volume low when I'm at home, since I don't want my little siblings hearing that. Little kids can pick up language pretty fast. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

People who call the videos click-bait have never seen real click-bait.  Something that peaks your interest is not click-bait.  A fancy thumbnail is not click-bait.

Oh what Linus does is def click bait.

2 hours ago, Cyracus said:

They've addressed the topic of their titles and thumbnails several times now, if youtube gives goofy names and thumbnails special preference LTT will use that system however they feel they need to

Its still childish and click baity

2 hours ago, Yo_Smith said:

Glad to hear it.  Without you I wouldn't have known though, as I've been turned off LLT for the last few months or so :( 

Starting to sense a can of worms opened kinda vibe here now though

I agree, turn it off

Maxpphire - I almost feel bad for posting in the first place.  As I mentioned, they're obviously going to do what it takes to succeed, that I can't hold against them.  With LLT in particular I'm glad they're effectively one of the top credible tech channels and would HATE to see them dwindle.  It's more of a 'wish this could happen' knowing full well it can't.  #humans #life #theuniverse #the universeandlinus #iknowthisishowbusinessworksidonthatelinuseveryonejeezchillout #harshtag

Yes, Linus sold out.

They dont look credible by their click baity thumbnails

2 hours ago, Maxpphire said:

If you don't want them to dwindle then why stop watching them?

It's not really clickbait if he is giving you the content the title of the video implies he is gonna give you. I don't really see the issue you're making is my point considering how he still gives you the info you want and pretty much right away.

Too clickbaity

Thanks Billy

Should I be scared now though?...are the Canadian Tech Mafia now tracing my IP and shiz?!?! :/

Linus was born and has lived and works in Canada all his life, but is totally American. He aint even Canadian anymore.

2 hours ago, CoolMarquis97 said:

I would not say that Linus clickbaits. 

Oh Linus is click bait

2 hours ago, SOCOM_HERO said:

Taboola is clickbait, I know. I work with them and they suck.

LTT just needs better quality content imo. Slipping and sliding since 2014.

I agree, slipping very badly

1 hour ago, bcguru9384 said:

i see what guy means

he wants to see product name in vid title

what if LTT would add --product name ,,, at end of the titles???

7000 dollar card does what??? holy s*it!!!  --rocket pci card

Its just all to click baity

I want to know what the vid is about, not some stupid facial expression. It gets old quick.

1 hour ago, yathis said:

Yes, Linus sold out.

They dont look credible by their click baity thumbnails

You're an idiot. They're just colorful images.  If a website isn't plain-text, is it clickbaity too?  xD

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 hours ago, Maxpphire said:

It's not really clickbait if he is giving you the content the title of the video implies he is gonna give you

Except you know... At several times in the last year or so the title/thumbnails have not actually reflected what the video is about.

By the way, for everyone who says Linus doesn't do clickbait. The actual definition of clickbait is:

"something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest".

Are the new titles designed to make more people click on them? Then it's clickbait.

Just because there are other more extreme and annoying examples does not mean only those ads fits the definition.

And even if you disagree with the dictionary definition, just look at some of the titles...

This $7000 Card Does WHAT?? - Holy $H!T

WTF?? A 3-Dimensional Keyboard??

EXPOSING DEADMAU5's STUDIO - *SPOILER* He's a huge Geek!

This iPad WILL Change EVERYTHING - Tech Walks Ep2

Can you PLASTIDIP a WHOLE PC?? Will it STILL WORK??

Triple your Battery Life for FREE! THIS METHOD REALLY WORKS!

EXPOSING MKBHD'S FAKE VIDEOS (Studio Tour)

This Camera Costs HOW MUCH?! - 8K RED Weapon Unboxing HOLY $H!T Ep. 17

Modular headphones.. What??

AMD RYZEN 5 AND 3 PERFORMANCE PREVIEW! (Used to be a way more misleading title)

Windows 9- The OS Microsoft WON'T Tell You About!

What's in the Box?

That's just a few examples from the last 6 months.

Notice how a lot of LTT videos now has question marks in the title? That's because they are clickbaiting people into watching the video to get the answer. It's the same idea as putting "you won't believe number 6!" in the title of a list.

6 hours ago, Yo_Smith said:

I'm being misconstrued I think.  Example (first posts v last):

L1.JPG

L2.JPG

Oh Jesus, that's ugly, I didn't remember their old thumbnails so... lazy... I can't believe I like the new ones more :/

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

-

Stupid faces is click baity and childish.

I wouldn't hire you. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, Yo_Smith said:

Originally, titles just said - this is what the video is about

Now - LOOK LOOK LOOK 

I mean before youtube didn't support thumbnails and the channel was control by NCIX, so Linus didn't really have much power. I mean he isn't like TechSmartt where all of his content have incorrect information and he just unbox thing, at least Linus actually gives some information and review of an product, I mean you don't have to watch all of his videos. 

Magical Pineapples

damn. out of all the problems in this world you're crying about a successful tech dude making click baity titles

ahahahah priorities mate

LTT isn't clickbaity on Techquickie. (I don't watch. Channel super fun that often to recall their titles.) 

though it may be considered clickbaity, @LinusTech didn't give all top 10 reasons why socks and sandles are the best footwear in the trip to Mexico vlogs, I wouldn't mind a techquickie video on it. 

We only got 3 reasons, and they're scattered throughout the video. The only one I remember is it's cheap. 

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEWCMQBEG5IWvKriq 8:59

World’s Most AMAZING Desk PC – 16K GAMING BUILD LOG 

this describes the content pretty well.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Except you know... At several times in the last year or so the title/thumbnails have not actually reflected what the video is about.

By the way, for everyone who says Linus doesn't do clickbait. The actual definition of clickbait is:

"something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest".

Are the new titles designed to make more people click on them? Then it's clickbait.

Just because there are other more extreme and annoying examples does not mean only those ads fits the definition.

That's just a few examples from the last 6 months.

Notice how a lot of LTT videos now has question marks in the title? That's because they are clickbaiting people into watching the video to get the answer. It's the same idea as putting "you won't believe number 6!" in the title of a list.

The funny part about this is that they are actually pretty accurate in describing what the videos are about.

This $7000 Card Does WHAT?? - Holy $H!T (Actually about a 7000$ card)

WTF?? A 3-Dimensional Keyboard?? (Reviews and ergonomic 3d keyboard)

EXPOSING DEADMAU5's STUDIO - *SPOILER* He's a huge Geek! (Deadmou5 studio tour and explains how he is a geek)

This iPad WILL Change EVERYTHING - Tech Walks Ep2 (A video about an ipad)

Can you PLASTIDIP a WHOLE PC?? Will it STILL WORK?? (Platidipped a pc)

What's in the Box? (a video about whats inside a box)

And the list goes on.  They have to entice new viewers somehow and make their videos more attractive.  

Their content quality has also skyrocketed in the last year as well.  And lets be real, its a title? Stop caring so much about something so pointless.  For all I care they could name all their videos CatBoiler's mom and I'd still watch them all.

I just don't understand why our true fans care about the titles and thumbnails. Those gimmicks are for drawing in new people, our established fan base already knows what our coverage is like.

Eh, I don't see the big deal. Kinda like it more than the boring professional feel. There's already a video about this.

1 hour ago, Blind Krill 796 said:

The funny part about this is that they are actually pretty accurate in describing what the videos are about.

Yep, and so does "Man Tries to Hug a Wild Lion, You Won't Believe What Happens Next!" too.

I don't see your point though.

And the list goes on.  They have to entice new viewers somehow and make their videos more attractive.  

Well they don't really HAVE to, but even if we assume that false premise was correct there are still other, less annoying, ways of doing so.

I mean, do you also go around defending clickbait ads because "they have to entice new readers somehow"?

Their content quality has also skyrocketed in the last year as well.

Well I disagree. I stopped watching them once they started using the stupid thumbnails. I was quite frankly embarrassed when people saw my subscription feed, and I found the content uninformative and boring since a long time back so I just unsubscribed.

Obviously other people disagree, but I really don't think anyone can seriously disagree that what LTT is doing is clickbait. I mean, even in your own words they are clickbaiting. Hell, even in their own words they are clickbaiting. It's just that neither you nor them really want to use that specific word because of the stigma surrounding it.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well I disagree. I stopped watching them once they started using the stupid thumbnails. I was quite frankly embarrassed when people saw my subscription feed, and I found the content uninformative and boring since a long time back so I just unsubscribed.

The content (not talking about the thumbnails and titles) has improved.  At the end of the day, I really don't think they will lose many subs or viewers because most people (I would bet) don't care that much about the thumbnail and title. (I know I don't care)

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Obviously other people disagree, but I really don't think anyone can seriously disagree that what LTT is doing is clickbait. I mean, even in your own words they are clickbaiting. Hell, even in their own words they are clickbaiting. It's just that neither you nor them really want to use that specific word because of the stigma surrounding it.

Definitely agree with this.  They are producing click bait per the definition.  It really could be worse though lol...

1 hour ago, James said:

I just don't understand why our true fans care about the titles and thumbnails. Those gimmicks are for drawing in new people, our established fan base already knows what our coverage is like.

Most sensible response I've read.  I have been watching for years and I could not care less about titles and thumbnails as long as the video is quality.

17 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Something that peaks your interest is not click-bait.  

Pique, not "peak"... Unless you're having an orgasm every time...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers