New Setup Bamboozled by Older Titles

This build has provided an intriguing, yet frustrating issue.

My setup (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2zyyNN) has offered a peculiar case of GPU usage.

Newer titles like Mad Max, Tomb Raider 2013, and Shadow of Mordor allow for ultra/60fps glory. GPU usage is 97-99%, ram stays at 3GB, and CPU usage is 40-60% across all cores.

Games like Saints Row 3, Saints Row 4, Far Cry 3, and Borderlands 2 frequently dip down into the 30fps range. The usage numbers, however, are what truly freak me out.

GPU usage stays at around 30-60% when looking at intense scenes (explosion, gunfire sparks, fast driving), but shoots up to 80-90% when looking at something less demanding (having a staring contest with a wall).

CPU usage for all titles remains mostly the same, with the common exception of a lone core going up to 80-90% usage.

Ram usage is fine.

I've taken the following measures to try and absolve my situation:

• Reinstalled Windows
  • Updated BIOS and drivers
  • Set Nvidia power settings to max, and Windows power settings to Ryzen Balanced (heard that this forced the constant usage of all CPU cores) but with the PCIE bus power settings to "none"
  • Checked that all clock speeds were as advertised
  • Played without Vsync at 1080p
  • Never installed Geforce Experience
  • Didn't overclock
  • Determined that various fullscreen/borderless modes have no impact
  • Argued with Reddit users in a similar post about how restating that something was wrong is less helpful than actually helping me

Thank you for taking your time to read this far, and any input is greatly appreciated.

Is the gpu in the 16x pci-e slot? Just a random guess can't come up with anything else you didn't try yet.

You could try http://www.userbenchmark.com to figure out which part is running slow perhaps. 

my guess is that it's some sort of GPU power saving feature, where it doesn't have enough work to do, lowers clockspeed, and then can't keep up once it needs to render the next frame.

try artificially increasing resolution to 4K. (using DSR or something) and see if that fixes it.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Probably those games not using more then 4 threads of your CPU while the newer ones do. It's pretty strange usage numbers though, can't find a good explanation for those

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016