CPU clock dropping. Temps fine

Hi there. 

I recently started noticed the CPU clock going from about 2.7Ghz to 0.7Ghz when i play games. This causes massive frameloss for CPU bound games. 

I have a Asus GL553VW with a 512Gb M.2 Sata SSD and a 250Gb Sata SSD. Core i5 6300HQ and a GTX960

When I game I turn the system fan all the way up to 100% 

What I started noticed was that I was being CPU throttled, core clock going down to 0.7Ghz. I decided then to run AIDA64 to see what was happening, turns out the cpu only throttles when the GPU is maxed out, they share heatpipes. However the temps of both the GPU and CPU during the stress test are fine, GPU reporting 56c and CPU 61c before throttling and then going down to 49c when throttling down to 0.7Ghz. 

The CPU core voltage drops from 1.029 to 0.722 during the test and stays there. While GPU voltage goes from 0.9180v to 1.1620v as reported by GPUz. 

This leads me to believe that this issue is caused by the power system not being able to deliver voltage to both the GPU and CPU but I have no previous knowledge about that the voltages are supposed to do. 

The only modifications I have made to this laptop after getting it was replacing the thermal compound with Coolermaster Essential E1 IC, something I do on all systems and installed the second 250Gb SSD. 

Any help figuring out what might be causing this throttling and ways to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: It should also be noted that I leave my laptop on for 5 days+ at a time, I just restarted it now and ran the same AIDA64 test, the core temps are getting up to 76 degrees now, voltage is only dropping to 0.983v and GPU is up to 71 degrees at the same voltage it go to last time so the restart appears to of solved the issue. 
Come to think of it sometimes when I game and havent turned my laptop off in 2 weeks it will completely shutdown while playing and then be fine when I restart it. 
Could this be a faulty temperature sensor or something else? 

I don't know if this is the correct name, but google "Throttlestop" for notebooks.

That should lead you in the right direction.

Of course it goes without saying - Use Common Sense.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I don't know if this is the correct name, but google "Throttlestop" for notebooks.

That should lead you in the right direction.

Of course it goes without saying - Use Common Sense.

I will do that thanks. I heard about it for the first time earlier today and people were very anti it but I will give it a try.

When you run ThrottleStop, make sure BD PROCHOT is not checked.  If your temperatures are OK, and they are, a laptop should never throttle down to 798 MHz during normal use but lots of laptops have this problem.  ThrottleStop is the only tool that can fix this type of throttling problem.  

Next time your laptop is throttling, open up the ThrottleStop - Limit Reasons window.  It will tell you in that window what is causing your throttling.  Look for a box in red.  You are probably going to see BD PROCHOT in red which confirms that throttling is in progress.

For an example, here is how Limit Reasons looks when my CPU is running too hot and triggers a thermal alarm.

M2zJl6D.png

The PCH overheating could also cause it throttle as they usually don't even have passive cooling.

The Potato Box:

AMD 5950X

EVGA K|NGP|N 3090

128GB 3600 CL16 RAM

The Scrapyard Warrior:

AMD 3950x

EVGA FTW3 2080Ti

64GB 3200 CL16 RAM

Thanks for all the responses. I cant get it to throttle again but I will try this out and post back the solution if it works in the future