Need help with totally fan less build CPU cooler

Sakib

Hello everyone,

I am building a new PC for media consumption, NOT gaming. I hate cleaning my PC once a month and decided to go for a totally fan less setup.

I was hoping you guys can have a look at my build config and maybe give me some input on the best option for a CPU cooler and if there's any way to improve this build.

Case: Fractal Design R5 

Motherboard: Asrock Z270 Fatility Gaming K6 

CPU: Pentium G 4560 (54 watt TDP)

CPU cooler: Thermalright Macho REV. b or the SilverStone SST-HE02 or the Zalman FX100 or the RAIJINTEK EREBOSS or the Xigmatek CAC-SXHH7-U01 Thors Hammer. (Cannot decide)

RAM: 16 GB HyperX Savage (2800 CL 14, Already had it lying around).

GPU: GTX 1050 ti fanless (Already had it lying around).

PSU: Seasonic 520 Watt fanless 80% platinum 

Any input is much appreciated.

The motherboard is overkill as hell, as for the cooler, get the one with the largest surface area. Also there are lower TDP I3 chips you could get :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

get a respberry pi - slap kodi/plex on it - put the storage somewhere else in the house.

job done for much less

maybe that's an option for you ?

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The motherboard is overkill as hell, as for the cooler, get the one with the largest surface area. Also there are lower TDP I3 chips you could get :)

Many thanks for your reply. I don't know how to figure out the surface area of these cooler, any idea how to go about it? I looked at the i3's. Just a 2 watt TDP difference but price difference is significant. So I thought just stick to the G4560 maybe.... I got you on the motherboard.

16 minutes ago, ThrustyPuss said:

Have seen a lot of good reviews about the Macho cooler.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the number one choice right now. Since I am gonna have to buy it, I thought I was gonna ask about the other ones as well. All of them looks very beefy, kind of had to make a decision...

18 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

You could just get an NH-D15 and not use the fans. Also, get a cheaper motherboard, and an i5 would be easily managed by a fanless NH-D15.

Many thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned it in the original post. Uh... I am trying to keep the cost down. Noctua NH-d15 is such an overkill for this build both in terms of cooling potential and price! 

7 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

get a respberry pi - slap kodi/plex on it - put the storage somewhere else in the house.

job done for much less

maybe that's an option for you ?

Many thanks for your comment! Lol I am the ultimate noob. I am not that familiar with the raspberry pi. And I only heard about plex. But really, thanks for your suggestion. I am gonna look into it and I think I am gonna learn something new here!

Just now, Sakib said:

Many thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned it in the original post. Uh... I am trying to keep the cost down. Noctua NH-d15 is such an overkill for this build both in terms of cooling potential and price! 

Ah. Well, I remember running the EreBoss on an i7-4790 with some small amount of airflow from the case fans, and it only hit about 70-80 C (which is still fine) without a fan on the CPU cooler itself, but fully fanless, it cooling a lower TDP chip should be easy.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, Sakib said:

Many thanks for your comment! Lol I am the ultimate noob. I am not that familiar with the raspberry pi. And I only heard about plex. But really, thanks for your suggestion. I am gonna look into it and I think I am gonna learn something new here!

https://howtoraspberrypi.com/media-center-osmc-raspberry-pi/

It really is that easy. Not including storage a rasp pi 3 costs about 100$ including everything. 

4 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Ah. Well, I remember running the EreBoss on an i7-4790 with some small amount of airflow from the case fans, and it only hit about 70-80 C (which is still fine) without a fan on the CPU cooler itself, but fully fanless, it cooling a lower TDP chip should be easy.

Thanks! This cooler is very close to the Thermalright design which I was considering. And its only £33.95 on Amazon which is perfect . 

3 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

https://howtoraspberrypi.com/media-center-osmc-raspberry-pi/

It really is that easy. Not including storage a rasp pi 3 costs about 100$ including everything. 

Once again, thanks a lot! I'll look into it. The thing is I already bought a lot of the stuff for the build and my current media centre PC is like more than 10 years old with a Q6600 and an Nvidia GT8800 (I am not joking). So I am gonna get a new PC anyway. But I get to learn about raspberry pi powered media center which is awesome.

1 minute ago, Sakib said:

Once again, thanks a lot! I'll look into it. The thing is I already bought a lot of the stuff for the build and my current media centre PC is like more than 10 years old with a Q6600 and an Nvidia GT8800 (I am not joking). So I am gonna get a new PC anyway. But I get to learn about raspberry pi powered media center which is awesome.

they are awsome in general - got 2 of those little devils for media center purposes, two other ones for automatically watering my plants where possible and another one for some ambient light control.

love those things

41 minutes ago, Sakib said:

Many thanks for your reply. I don't know how to figure out the surface area of these cooler, any idea how to go about it? I looked at the i3's. Just a 2 watt TDP difference but price difference is significant. So I thought just stick to the G4560 maybe.... I got you on the motherboard.

If you drop the motherboard you could definitely afford to get an I3, or even maybe an I5

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016