Worth fixing this laptop?

Vargi
Go to solution Solved by TRINHbot1101001,

If everything else in the laptop is working fine, fixing it yourself isn't a bad idea, and it shouldn't be too hard. I found the replacement heatsink and fan for your laptop's model on eBay for under $30, apparently the fan and heatsink are one piece. But you can try contacting Lenovo to see about replacement parts, although I'm not sure of their policies.

https://www.ebay.com/p/lenovo-thinkpad-e465-cpu-fan-cooling-heatsink-00up106/684373942?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

The fan is broken in my friends Lenovo E465 (AMD version) Spins at full speed no matter what and the BiOS knows its broken. is it worth fixing it or just buy a new one.

If i fix how to do it (I have fixed laptops before but not as far as removing the CPU cooling fan), where to buy a new fan? And/or should i try to go through Lenovo for the fix as I have only bought things from them never had an issue. plus its only a small fan I can't see buying one (if i can find it) for more then $10.

If it was my system, I would just run it that way. It won't hurt anything. But if you want it fixed, check Ebay for a fan.

If everything else in the laptop is working fine, fixing it yourself isn't a bad idea, and it shouldn't be too hard. I found the replacement heatsink and fan for your laptop's model on eBay for under $30, apparently the fan and heatsink are one piece. But you can try contacting Lenovo to see about replacement parts, although I'm not sure of their policies.

https://www.ebay.com/p/lenovo-thinkpad-e465-cpu-fan-cooling-heatsink-00up106/684373942?_trksid=p2047675.l2644

The problem may also be the motherboard telling the fan to run at full speed, and that may be more likely than the fan itself being bad. 

Just now, lexidobe said:

The problem may also be the motherboard telling the fan to run at full speed, and that may be more likely than the fan itself being bad. 

Fan Error message comes up every boot,  feels and sounds like fan.

1 hour ago, TRINHbot1101001 said:

do you know if Laptop processors require special thermal paste or will what ever I have (as long as it hasn't dried up) be fine?

On 7/11/2017 at 5:57 PM, Vargi said:

do you know if Laptop processors require special thermal paste or will what ever I have (as long as it hasn't dried up) be fine?

I don't think it matters what thermal paste you use. When I replaced my laptop fan a while back, I used Arctic Silver 5

On 7/11/2017 at 7:57 PM, Vargi said:

It needs to be nonconductive.  Almost all laptops have the cpu die and many capacitors exposed.  Putting electrically conductive thermal paste on those would be baddddddd.

7 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

It needs to be nonconductive.  Almost all laptops have the cpu die and many capacitors exposed.  Putting electrically conductive thermal paste on those would be baddddddd.

I uhh, don't think that there is any mainstream brand of thermal paste that is electrically conductive. o.O  Even those with metal in them, while they can be electrically capacitive, they have a really high resistance and can't conduct electricity.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I uhh, don't think that there is any mainstream brand of thermal paste that is electrically conductive. o.O  Even those with metal in them, while they can be electrically capacitive, they have a really high resistance and can't conduct electricity.

Just double checked.  There are many cheap, low quality thermals pastes out there that are conductive, but I was thinking specifically of Arctic Silver (which I just double checked and isn't).  

So yeah, my bad.  AshleyAshes is right.  Just don't cheap out and you're good.