Avira VS Windows Defender

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

don't download dodgy shit and it doesn't matter what Anti-Virus you have. just stick with windows defender

Good idea but I want to be extra safe, I am pretty sure Avira is way better than Windows Defender so why not? Correct me if I am wrong.

Hello,
Title says it all! :) Which one is more powerful ?
Feel free to recommend something else, I tried Avast but it made my PC slow, and crashed, the full scan was 0% for 1 hour+

Thanks

Don't install any 3rd party antivirus. they're usually trash (with the exception of malwarebytes)

windows defender is way good enough unless you already have a virus.

if you do already have a virus, run Malwarebytes.

those are the only two I ever use, and it works wonderfully.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Don't install any 3rd party antivirus. they're usually trash (with the exception of malwarebytes)

windows defender is way good enough unless you already have a virus.

if you do already have a virus, run Malwarebytes.

those are the only two I ever use, and it works wonderfully.

Malwarebytes is an anti malware not antivirus, why are 3rd party antivirus trash?

2 minutes ago, Vielo said:

Malwarebytes is an anti malware not antivirus, why are 3rd party antivirus trash?

well 3rd party antivirus/antimalware (Malwarebytes is both I think, right?) always want to get something out of you. they are for-profit and have something to gain. because of this, shit like Norton and MacAfee, which are borderline viruses themselves, will constantly freak out that your computer is at risk, and prompt you to pay for their subscription. since they all have something to gain, most of them are willing to manipulate you in any way to make you pay for that monthly subscription.

Malwarebytes is decent in this regard, is unintrusive, and is easy to uninstall, unlike Norton or MacAfee *shudders*

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

well 3rd party antivirus/antimalware (Malwarebytes is both I think, right?) always want to get something out of you. they are for-profit and have something to gain. because of this, shit like Norton and MacAfee, which are borderline viruses themselves, will constantly freak out that your computer is at risk, and prompt you to pay for their subscription. since they all have something to gain, most of them are willing to manipulate you in any way to make you pay for that monthly subscription.

Malwarebytes is decent in this regard, is unintrusive, and is easy to uninstall, unlike Norton or MacAfee *shudders*

I have Avira +Hitman Pro + Malwarebytes, I just want the best free antivirus out there, and after doing some research I found out Avira is one of the best free anti viruses out there.

If I am wrong please correct me.

I'm using windows defender for years, and I never had any problems.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Kasperesky is fine if you really want an AV or ESEAT or whatever it's called

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Kasperesky is fine if you really want an AV or ESEAT or whatever it's called

Is Avira trash? I installed it because I saw it had a lot of rewards and many reviewers believed it to be the best, many technicians I know as well.

don't download dodgy shit and it doesn't matter what Anti-Virus you have. just stick with windows defender

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Good idea but I want to be extra safe, I am pretty sure Avira is way better than Windows Defender so why not? Correct me if I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, Vielo said:

free anti-virus is free anti-virus. i wouldn't say it "way better" it's just another layer of protection. as long as it can detect viruses and stop them, then they are good. 

Windows Defender, Avast, AVG, Avira are the main ones but it really does not matter what you get, it's personal preference, if you want more protection go for it, but it's not really needed

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I've used Sophos Home for a while, then just stopped installing Ant-Virus programs all together just for simplicity. Windows Defender does the job and frankly the less intrusive of the bunch. Once you get into the free Anti-Virus programs, you might as well just go ahead and download an actual virus because the amount of ads and popups trying to sell their premium services gets ridiculous. AVG seems to be the worst offender.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I just got Avast, it seems I had a IDP.generic infection and they blocked it, should I be worried?