Cleaning off dust using a paintbrush :/

Go to solution Solved by themctipers,
2 minutes ago, Memorizer said:

I stand corrected. It turns out there is more dust than I expected.

the easiest thing to do is just to take everything out (don't need to take apart CPU cooler from motherboard or the GPU from the motherboard, just take out the motherboard and the SSD/hdds) and then use a toothbrush and scrub everything in the case. 

Cleaning fans is a bitch, luckily for me I am using cheap fans and I don't care if they die so I just rince it out with hot water and spin it to get all the fins clean. 

Greetings!

After a sort of long hiatus, I came back here to ask you guys if it is safe to use an unused paintbrush to brush-off the dust inside my PC. 

I'm just worried because I'm not sure if it would build up static electricity and cause damage on to my PC.

I just need an answer whether if it's safe or not to use a paintbrush to dust my computer( I don't have any other sort of solution to the problem :/ )  Any kind of help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

Heatsink? Sure. 

PCB? Maybe, you shouldn't though. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Heatsink? Sure. 

PCB? Maybe, you shouldn't though. 

I'm not cleaning the whole thing, just the insides of the case, it gets pretty dusty

Should be fine while the PC is off, just make sure that the brush isn't too rough.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Memorizer said:

I'm not cleaning the whole thing, just the insides of the case, it gets pretty dusty

Oh. Just the case?

remove your PC components (motherboard, SSD, HDD) and clean it. Just try to not touch anything on the motherboard with it. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Should be fine while the PC is off, just make sure that the brush isn't too rough.

Okay, the brush is pretty much a silky set of hair, I don't think it's rough

Just now, themctipers said:

Oh. Just the case?

remove your PC components (motherboard, SSD, HDD) and clean it. Just try to not touch anything on the motherboard with it. 

I have to remove the whole thing!? As far as I can see, the only dusty is the PSU shroud; don't think it's necessary

I have to remove the whole thing!? As far as I can see, the only dusty is the PSU shroud; don't think it's necessary

you said you're cleaning the case. I assume you mean everywhere around the case ..

so you're only cleaning psu shroud? just take out the psu and clean that general area. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, themctipers said:

you said you're cleaning the case. I assume you mean everywhere around the case ..

so you're only cleaning psu shroud? just take out the psu and clean that general area. 

the easiest thing to do is just to take everything out (don't need to take apart CPU cooler from motherboard or the GPU from the motherboard, just take out the motherboard and the SSD/hdds) and then use a toothbrush and scrub everything in the case. 

Cleaning fans is a bitch, luckily for me I am using cheap fans and I don't care if they die so I just rince it out with hot water and spin it to get all the fins clean. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Update: I ran out of zip ties, can't remove the parts and put back in until I have some :(

you guys are gonna hate me for saying this but I use compressed air to clean my PC and its fine

10 minutes ago, ZexenPro said:

you guys are gonna hate me for saying this but I use compressed air to clean my PC and its fine

Actually, that sounds like a good idea especially when there are many nooks and crannies around the case, you can (no pun intended) clean it thouroughly

Actually, that sounds like a good idea especially when there are many nooks and crannies around the case, you can (no pun intended) clean it thouroughly

yeah but the static generated by it is ridiculous, plus there can be water in the piping

Update: as far as I'm concerned, it's less dusty but it's better than what it looks like earlier. Thanks for your advices!

2 minutes ago, ZexenPro said:

yeah but the static generated by it is ridiculous, plus there can be water in the piping

Oh, right. That's why never use a small vacuum cleaner. Thanks