Ips vs tn 1440p

theminnesotanman

Will be getting a 1440p  gaming monitor. I want the monitor to look nice as well as have good color. Looking between the dell s2716dg and the asus p279q. Gpu is a 1080ti hybrid

Wait till later this year and get a 4k 144hz monitor

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Color accuracy isn't so much a problem with TN vs. IPS (as some evidence of this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm#comparison , notice that the PG278Q, a TN panel, scored better than some of Dell's best). It's the color shifting that can present a problem.

If you do things outside of gaming that's media related, IPS is pretty much a must.

AOC AG271QG

IPS, cheaper than ASUS, has newer version of the same panel, excellent stand (like Dell)

18 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

Will be getting a 1440p  gaming monitor. I want the monitor to look nice as well as have good color. Looking between the dell s2716dg and the asus p279q. Gpu is a 1080ti hybrid

Go IPS. If you can settle for 25", go for the Dell Ultrasharp U2515H. I've had mine for a few months now and absolutely love it. Text is sharp, colors are great, and to me it's right in the sweet spot for pixel density. Not too dense, not too sparse.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

16 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Color accuracy isn't so much a problem with TN vs. IPS (as some evidence of this: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg278q.htm#comparison , notice that the PG278Q, a TN panel, scored better than some of Dell's best). It's the color shifting that can present a problem.

If you do things outside of gaming that's media related, IPS is pretty much a must.

So you are saying the ips route is more favorable than the tn route? I'm not very picky I just want things to look good. Besides the occasional YouTube video I won't really have lots of other media consumption. Also I plan on getting a second monitor in the near future.

5 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

So you are saying the ips route is more favorable than the tn route? I'm not very picky I just want things to look good. Besides the occasional YouTube video I won't really have lots of other media consumption. Also I plan on getting a second monitor in the near future.

If you don't do a lot of professional media creation (photography, videography, etc.), then go with whatever suits your budget and looks better to your eyes. While I do prefer calibrated IPS displays, I gladly swapped out one of my two PA238Q displays for a PB278Q 27" 1440p PLS display, which emits more light than IPS panels but isn't as accurate.

Why am I telling you this when my example isn't comparing a TN to an IPS display? Because at the end of the day, color accuracy doesn't matter as much as sharpness and clarity for the average user. I even do hobbyist photography editing on my desktop, and I'm not too concerned about color accuracy because an IPS panel won't match a professional printer 100% even with calibration, unless you have the printer in house to test everything.

I think that if your general use case is media consumption and gaming you should instead consider 60Hz vs 144Hz 1440p displays, and worry less about the type of panel they include as long as they're a good brand name. I've seen Dell and HP business displays using TN panels that look much sharper and more vibrant than calibrated IPS displays from AOC and ASUS, for example, so it all depends on your needs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

33 minutes ago, kirashi said:

If you don't do a lot of professional media creation (photography, videography, etc.), then go with whatever suits your budget and looks better to your eyes. While I do prefer calibrated IPS displays, I gladly swapped out one of my two PA238Q displays for a PB278Q 27" 1440p PLS display, which emits more light than IPS panels but isn't as accurate.

Why am I telling you this when my example isn't comparing a TN to an IPS display? Because at the end of the day, color accuracy doesn't matter as much as sharpness and clarity for the average user. I even do hobbyist photography editing on my desktop, and I'm not too concerned about color accuracy because an IPS panel won't match a professional printer 100% even with calibration, unless you have the printer in house to test everything.

I think that if your general use case is media consumption and gaming you should instead consider 60Hz vs 144Hz 1440p displays, and worry less about the type of panel they include as long as they're a good brand name. I've seen Dell and HP business displays using TN panels that look much sharper and more vibrant than calibrated IPS displays from AOC and ASUS, for example, so it all depends on your needs.

So you're saying get the ips if I want it but tn would be fine? I'm getting a lot of mixed answers.

1 hour ago, theminnesotanman said:

So you're saying get the ips if I want it but tn would be fine? I'm getting a lot of mixed answers.

Basically, what I'm saying is if you can afford the IPS display (assuming you find one that is more $$ than a TN panel) then sure, go for it, as the colors will be better. However, note that most VA and TN panels can have reduced input lag aka 1 or 2 ms response times instead of 5 or 6 ms response times that most IPS panels have.

That being said, there are indeed gaming displays out there that are both IPS, 144Hz, and 1 or 2 ms response time, but their cost is usually much higher.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)