4K Streaming with a 15M cable??!?

Jack Chunks

Hey LTT Forums.

I have plans to try and get a HDMI 2.0 cable from my PC to my TV for 4K (approx 15m) but don't know of any ways to connect multiple HDMi cables without decreasing it down to a lower resolution.

Does anyone know how I could get 15M of HDMI 2.0 cable from my GTX 1080 to my 4k TV for 4K Netflix?

Thanks, Jack.

PS: If you have any ideas on how to get a keyboard and mouse over 15M or multiple controllers let me know.

If you want to play games on a big screen maybe look in to a Steam box. why HDMI 2.0 you can use a 1.4 if you want. correct my if im rong but i dont think theres no diverands in the cable. So just grab a cheap HDMI cable and you're good to go

HDMI 1.4 4K @ 30 HRz

HDMI 2.0 4K @ 60 HRz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_comparison

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

You should be able to do 15m if the cable is decent. I wouldn't advise joining multiple cables together, just buy a single long cable. 

As for keyboard and mouse, wireless may be the best way to go rather than trying long USB runs (USB sucks over distance)

Just now, Swealteek said:

If you want to play games on a big screen maby look in to a Steambox. why HMDI 2.0 you can use a 1.4 if you want. correct my if im rong butt i dont think thares a diverands in the cable. So just grab a cheap HDMI cable and you're good to go

You need HDMI 2.0 for 4K, Steam Box is 1080p and HDMI 1.4 is 4K 24 Hz. So if I wanted video games and streaming I'd need 2.0

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

You should be able to do 15m if the cable is decent. I wouldn't advise joining multiple cables together, just buy a single long cable. 

As for keyboard and mouse, wireless may be the best way to go rather than trying long USB runs (USB sucks over distance)

Yeah I've tried looking for 15M HDMI 2.0 and not much shows up. Will wireless work over 15-20M?

1 minute ago, Swealteek said:

If you want to play games on a big screen maby look in to a Steambox. why HMDI 2.0 you can use a 1.4 if you want. correct my if im rong butt i dont think thares a diverands in the cable. So just grab a cheap HDMI cable and you're good to go

You're correct in a sense. There's no difference in the cable, but that's because HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 are not cable revisions, they are controller, firmware and overall efficiency revisions. You have Category 1 cables and category 2 cables. Category 1 cables are pretty rare and can't do anything over 1080i. Category 2 cables can do everything in every currently available HDMI revision. New 48G cables will come around for certain HDMI 2.1 features. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Chunks said:

Yeah I've tried looking for 15M HDMI 2.0 and not much shows up. Will wireless work over 15-20M?

HDMI 2.0 has nothing to do with the cable. You have category 1 and category 2 cables. Category 1 can't go over 1080i and category 2 can do everything currently available in the HDMI spec (including the HDMI 2.0 spec). Category 1 cables are uncommon now as pretty much everything is just a category 2 cable (also known as "hi-speed" cables)

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

HDMI 2.0 has nothing to do with the cable. You have category 1 and category 2 cables. Category 1 can't go over 1080i and category 2 can do everything currently available in the HDMI spec (including the HDMI 2.0 spec)

Okay, so if I just grab any category 2 cable it will be able to run a 60Hz refresh rate 4k? If it has 2.0 support.

Just now, Jack Chunks said:

Okay, so if I just grab any category 2 cable it will be able to run a 60Hz refresh rate 4k? If it has 2.0 support.

Yes., though the cable doesn't need 2.0 support as it doesn't change anything, it just carries a signal. What's important is that both the devices sending and receiving the signal are HDMI 2.0 compliant as the changes are to the controller rather than physical connector or cable changes. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Chunks said:

Any and all Cat2 cables can run anything up to HDMI 2.0

Keep in mind that for 4K Netflix you MUST have a Kaby Lake CPU.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

28 minutes ago, Swealteek said:

correct my if im rong but i dont think theres no diverands in the cable.

there's no "hdmi x.x cables" officially at least, but there are different standards for cables as well, and you'll sure as hell find cables that wont do 4k, as much as you'll find cables that arent listed to support hdmi 2.0, but do anyways.

it's a matter of being sure, and if you want to be sure you'll have to buy based on what's on the box.

as for the 15m part of the story.. i had some pretty potato experience with getting anything past 1080p over a 10m cable with an acceptable pricetag, it's just getting to a point where you need so much copper and insulation going into a cable you're better off just finding a solution like many of the chromecast-like solutions, some of which do 4K.

15 meter (50 foot) is about the limit of HDMI cables, that much distance and you may lose the capacity for 4k 60, also wireless keyboard and mice (especially if on Bluetooth) have a range of 20-30 feet with no walls obstructing them, some cheaper wireless solutions are even less, you're getting into the range of very expensive powered cables for both HDMI and USB to make that kind of run, is there a specific reason you can't just bring the PC to the TV?

Does anyone feel like threads like these seem to largely consist of little more than armchair estimates on 'cable quality'?  Excluding manikyath's post, no one is actually posting any actual experiences with actual products.  Threads akin to this do seem to come up from time to time and the response is usually the same but that means they're not really that informative.

Maybe it would be more productive if people tried to gather actual experiences and put it one thread, where it can be recorded which cables of which lengths successfully or failed to carry which signals?  Instead of saying 'Oh, well, I dunno, according to the specs and blah blah category cables blah blah BEWARE OF CHINA!!!' and so on, people could have data to know which cables have been confirmed to get the job done, which can't, and maybe even data on which can even exceed the on paper specs.

As an example, I once asked on this forum about SODIMM to DIMM adapters and the response I got was basically 'LOL THAT'LL NEVER WORK' from people who had no first had experience just 'gut instincts'.  I bought them anyway, they totally worked, and now that information is recorded in a dedicated thread on this forum that maybe others will find as they search and Google with the same question.

Easiest solution if you want 4K Netflix is an Amazon FireTV ($99) and a Steam Link for 1080p games (goes on sale all the time for $20)

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]