Opinions on this build?

Don't know what your budget is, but I came up with a build, that is probably going to suprise you at first glance. All looks good aside from the Graphics card right? You might be wondering why I chose the cheapest?
The gtx 1070 is among one of the cards which has seen a huge rise pricewise due to the current cryptocurrency mining craze. It costs way too much right now, so getting it isn't really a smart move until prices dropwithin the next months. This is why I merely chose the cheapest graphics card that for now should be able to handle general gaming loads, until you can get a better one. The money you save should be enough to get a better card once prices normalize.

In regards to the rest of the build, since you aim for something that will last you long, skimping on build quality isn't the wisest move, especially considering how much a good foundation affects your future upgradepath. So getting good components now (except the gpu ofc), will save you some money down the line. Besides, you get 6 cores instead of 4 and a beautiful case and efficient psu to boot as well. This build has twice the memory while costing a couple hundred of $ less. So my advice would be, to wait a few months for graphic cards prices to drop and then get a better one. :) However you decide, have fun building ;)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($93.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 2GB ACX 2.0 Video Card  ($105.98 @ Directron)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.75 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($35.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $757.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 09:23 EDT-0400

get Ryzen 5 1600 over i5 7500

Better computer for $6 less,xD

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/t6Lt2R

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

18 minutes ago, chickennuggetstyle said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3jbqf8

Its only going to be used for gaming. It doesn't need upgradability, OC support, or anything like that. Just trying to come up with a fairly long lasting gaming build.

Fairly long lasting to means build quality first. Focus on that dude.. Things like cases or psus are not something you should hold back on budgetwise, since they might be the components that will last you the longest, if you invest your money right! Second, a good mobo and cpu are next on thelist of priorities. In general these 4 components (cpu, mobo, case, psu) are the most crucial and those you should definetly focus on as a first time builder. THEN, and only then, should you go for good memory (especially with Ryzen that takes advantage of high clocked memory), gpu and finally storage. Your Build might look okay at first glance, but important parts are flat out cheap for the sake of saving a buck or two. Besides, getting a 1070 in times of bitcoin- and ethereummining highs is not a wise move, but a waste of the money you have saved up. go for the cheapest card you can get and upgrade later when prices drop. Anyway, you decide dude..

First off, get Ryzen instead. While i5s do have better average frame rates in gaming right now, Ryzen tends to have better minimums, which in my opinion matters more as it gives you a more smooth and consistent experience.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($474.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone - PS08W MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.90 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1077.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 09:49 EDT-0400

Second of all, at the moment gpu prices are horribly overpriced thanks to miners, 1070s even cost as much as 1080s! Therefore I'd suggest you either wait for prices to die down a bit or buy a used 980 ti (usually you can get one for $300 or so).

I made some changes to the build; I got a 1600 instead and an accompanying mobo and 16gb of high speed ddr4 ram. I also added an ssd in there and got a better psu. You had two wifi cards in there so I got rid of one and replaced the other with a better one (supports ac). I know it's a lot more expensive, but that's because, as I said, gpu prices are way higher right now. 1070s should be $100 less which would put my build at the same price as your original.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

First off, get Ryzen instead. While i5s do have better average frame rates in gaming right now, Ryzen tends to have better minimums, which in my opinion matters more as it gives you a more smooth and consistent experience.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2875-amd-r5-1600x-1500x-review-fading-i5-argument/page-4

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - RE4 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini Video Card  ($474.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Silverstone - PS08W MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.90 @ Newegg) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1077.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-04 09:49 EDT-0400

Second of all, at the moment gpu prices are horribly overpriced thanks to miners, 1070s even cost as much as 1080s! Therefore I'd suggest you either wait for prices to die down a bit or buy a used 980 ti (usually you can get one for $300 or so).

I made some changes to the build; I got a 1600 instead and an accompanying mobo and 16gb of high speed ddr4 ram. I also added an ssd in there and got a better psu. You had two wifi cards in there so I got rid of one and replaced the other with a better one (supports ac). I know it's a lot more expensive, but that's because, as I said, gpu prices are way higher right now. 1070s should be $100 less which would put my build at the same price as your original.

Thanks for this! Will any games take advantage of more than 8GB RAM yet? I've been completely out of the loop in PC building for over a year, so I haven't caught up with the whole Ryzen thing yet. I assume it just takes extra advantage of RAM speed and capacity, making RAM worth more to the build?

Just now, chickennuggetstyle said:

Thanks for this! Will any games take advantage of more than 8GB RAM yet? I've been completely out of the loop in PC building for over a year, so I haven't caught up with the whole Ryzen thing yet. I assume it just takes extra advantage of RAM speed and capacity, making RAM worth more to the build?

There are some games out there that do use more than 8gb so for a higher ish end build I usually put 16gb in :P.

For Ryzen it's a bit complicated. Because amd has nowhere near the R&D budget of Intel, they built things called CCXs, or Core Complexes, to make building CPUs easier. Each Core Complex contains 4 cores and 8mb L3 cache. All the desktop Ryzen CPUs right now are based off an 8 core die that has two of these core complexes. However, they need to communicate with each other so amd uses a thing called the infinity fabric to let them communicate with each other. This clock speed of the infinity fabric, however, is directly linked to the clock speed of your memory, so increasing memory clock speeds increases the bandwidth between the two CCXs. In some games this doesn't really matter, but in others (watch dogs 2 for instance), it can make a HUGE impact on gaming performance.

Since this 3000 MHz ram kit is only $10 or so more than the cheapest 2x8gb kit right now, I chose it. In some games you might see a 5-10% boost in performance so I think it's worth getting higher speed ram, especially if it's only a bit more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb