PCWorld Vega FE demo.

ravenshrike
Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

That's actually better than many 580s! You completely won the silicon lottery! :D

i will buy a water-cooling loop soon, will try see what it can do in water, as most of the time it seems temps is the main problem

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Wish someone would ask AMD if FE will support SR-IOV or not, I really want to know.

Doesn't Microsoft HyperV have a thing were it can passthough DirectX work load from a VM to a GPU, and is shared based on Vram delegation. I think I saw it as a option in Windows server 2012r2 but I don't have a dGPU in my system to mess with it.

how is this different and have you mess with it?.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Doesn't Microsoft HyperV have a thing were it can passthough DirectX work load from a VM to a GPU, and is shared based on Vram delegation. I think I saw it as a option in Windows server 2012r2 but I don't have a dGPU in my system to mess with it.

how is this different and have you mess with it?.

It does but it's not for gaming and there is a maximum amount of vRAM you can assign to a VM and it's rather small, like 1GB but been a long time since I've looked at it.

Basically SR-IOV is the difference between hardware virtualization and software, one is fundamentally better than the other but harder to pull off. SR-IOV is part of the PCIe spec and commonly used on network cards and is currently on AMD server GPUs but the actual usage of it is only supported by VMware ESXi.

Edit:

Think 2 games 1 CPU but now 2 gamers 1 CPU/GPU.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It does but it's not for gaming and there is a maximum amount of vRAM you can assign to a VM and it's rather small, like 1GB but been a long time since I've looked at it.

Basically SR-IOV is the difference between hardware virtualization and software, one is fundamentally better than the other but harder to pull off. SR-IOV is part of the PCIe spec and commonly used on network cards and is currently on AMD server GPUs but the actual usage of it is only supported by VMware ESXi.

Ya I thought I saw a Vram limit, but I wounder how well it would work for a low end game VM server like LOL, Dota, CSGO, ect.

It would be neat to see a "budget" 2-4 gamers 1 CPU setup were you only need 1 high powered GPU.

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I swear I'll lose my shit if the fucking miners end up exhausting the supply of consumer level Vega cards when I get around to finally replacing my dodgy GTX 970.

Might not be a problem, both ethereum and bitcoin and falling like a rock atm and I've gone from earning 11.50/day to 6.40/day (USD), any more and power cost will out pay gross earnings meaning net loss.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Ya I thought I saw a Vram limit, but I wounder how well it would work for a low end game VM server like LOL, Dota, CSGO, ect.

It would be neat to see a "budget" 2-4 gamers 1 CPU setup were you only need 1 high powered GPU.

Anything that is first/third person based with what I can only term as "relative mouse position" doesn't work. You need to use RemoteFX to connect to the VM which is an extension of RDP and all you end up doing is spinning and looking at the sky or floor, mouse input just doesn't work for those games. RTS games "absolute mouse position" works fine.

2 hours ago, Carclis said:

From the demonstations it sounds very much like the opposite is being said and they're just comparing Vega with optimised drivers to the purely gaming oriented Titan Xp

Purely gaming oriented? So why does Nvidia say that the Titan series does not belong into GeForce series which basically contradicts your statement?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Purely gaming oriented? So why does Nvidia say that the Titan series does not belong into GeForce series which basically contradicts your statement?

Because if you need a card with the power of the Titan but don't need the full compute capacity of the Nvidia architecture or Quadro certified drivers this is the only option they have to offer, if you need anything more than that you have to step up to Quadro which means massively stepping up in price or massively reducing performance.

You can see in the video that the Titan is loses tons of performance due to both drivers and lack of certain compute workloads, that is the only way you lose more than 80% of your performance.

10 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

To be fair, the Xp says "GeForce" on the cooler so it's not like Nvidia's own marketing lines up with what they are actually producing. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

What Nvidia says and does are two entirely different things.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

14 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah NVIDIA need to sort their marketing out for the Titans.

GeForce on the card, using GeForce drivers, and has had it's FP16 performance even cut, never mind FP64.

Although I see where it sits; it's the best NVIDIA card you can get for gaming and workstation use without breaking the bank on a Quadro.

The Frontier sits in the same spot; but it seems AMD are optimizing drivers more for the Pro side, and kept the double rate FP16 performance for AI, and Machine Learning.

So on their side you get Gaming, Pro, and "Tesla" at the same time.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So why does Nvidia say that the Titan series does not belong into GeForce series which basically contradicts your statement?

This is kind of funny, because the Titan Xp has GeForce drivers xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

AMC Gremlin reference, HAHA.  Good on the PCWorld guy.

And I like the idea of motherboards on the walls.

I know this might make me an asshole but I have to do it. 

5951423e1f056_ScreenShot2017-06-27at01_19_40.png.cce0f25dc657d25dd5a6fd49c42707d2.png 

595142cd0dc27_ScreenShot2017-06-27at01_21_45.png.d2dad608debe50dcb0bb7a48a7e6c239.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

22 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

He's got a lazy eye.  Really shouldn't do video.

Why?

6 hours ago, TonyKramer said:

I am incredibly excited for this launch. Specifically the Radeon Frontier Edition. I am, however worried that the Frontier Pro Duo will have the same problems that the launch of the R9-295X2 had. (These being poor support for crossfire gaming, overall driver adoption, what to do about CrossFireX when you had two of them, just a lot of little things that turned out to be a huge problem) 

However, I think for workstations, AMD has taken a good step in the right direction, (personally owning two FirePro cards, I may be a little bit biased) but they are still behind Nvidia in terms of capability. Nvidia has two selling points that AMD has no answer for, CUDA and NVLink. Now I know what you may be thinking, AMD has OpenCL, everything is fine. Will, from an adaptability standpoint, CUDA is orders of magnitude easier to work with. I will however, give the benefit to OpenCL because in applications I work with (Caffe-OpenCL, Torch, Theono on Ubuntu), OpenCL is just as fast as CUDA and scales better to 2+ GPUs. 

So I really hope this launch goes well for AMD, as I am really looking forward to happily replacing my FirePros if these cards turn out to be any good. 

yeah but in games that have DirectX 12 (or vulkan) multigpus upport the scaling is almost linear.

1 minute ago, RagnarokDel said:

yeah but in games that have DirectX 12 (or vulkan) multigpus upport the scaling is almost linear.

Clearly the reason for the 64 PCI-E lanes was so that gamers could play CPU bound games in 4k.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Might not be a problem, both ethereum and bitcoin and falling like a rock atm and I've gone from earning 11.50/day to 6.40/day (USD), any more and power cost will out pay gross earnings meaning net loss.

What are you running for mining? (just curious, never did it myself) 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's also worth saying that in the professional usages the Vega FE was significantly faster than the Titan Xp, good choice if that is the work loads you do but don't go buying one of these to play games on wait for the gaming cards.

I can do whatever da f' I want!!! Stop tryin' to control us!!! 

Just now, THE_maverick said:

I can do whatever da f' I want!!! Stop tryin' to control us!!! 

Sure you can, you can also wait a small amount of time more and get a higher performing card for less ;).

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Sure you can, you can also wait a small amount of time more and get a higher performing card for less ;).

It won't be that sexy YInMn Blue though!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

FFS stop just saying FE everyone, it's confusing as hell since Nvidia has Founders Edition and AMD has Frontier Edition.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

FFS stop just saying FE everyone, it's confusing as hell since Nvidia has Founders Edition and AMD has Frontier Edition.

AMD has rolled out Epyc, X399 and Threadripper recently.  Clearly, "FE" version is intentional to screw up Nvidia's naming stack. :)

Semi-agro marketing is "in" right now.