1000 € for a full desktop audio setup - recommendations ?

vladecrni

Hello everyone,

I am currently in a process of building my new dream PC, and have some questions regarding Audio side. You can look at the build on the link in my signature, but here is the audio bit :

SPEAKERS : Audioengine A5+ (350 €) Linus recommends them, as do bunch of other reviewers, but I'm wondering is there anything better in this price range, or little above. What i need from speakers :
- 2.0 System with enough bass. Bookshelf (desktop) type. Size is not an object

- High build quality, as what I buy now will probably have to serve me for next 15 years

- Zero distortion when turned up, zero noise (hiss, brum) when not playing anything

I am concerned about last two, as I read in amazon reviews that these speakers are classic example of over-hyped product, and made from cheap Chinese electronics, that introduce a lot of noise. Don't know how true this is though .

SPEAKER DRIVER :  Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC/HEADPHONE AMP  (160 €) - I have no Idea about this one. I just chose it because Amazon recommended it as Frequently bought together . I guess that they go well together since they are from the same manufacturer ? Do I really need anything, or can I drive it from Maximus IX Formula MoBo ? What to look for here?

HEADPHONES : Sennheiser GAME ONE This one is a no–brainer fro me. I had PC 360, and couldn't be happier with them, so this seems like a logical step forward. But I am open to suggestions, if you have some. I should mention that I need a headset for gaming, as I am not willing to go the modmic route. Will buy 6XX eventually as well for music and other needs.

HEADPHONE DRIVER : Sennheiser GSX 1000 or GSX 1200 PRO (190€) I opted for this one as it is again same manufacturer for most comparability, and after a positive HardwareCanucks review. Don't know the difference between 1000 and 1200 model though. Is there maybe something better for the money? Will this be able to drive my HD 6XX later on? Is the MoBo enough here these days ?

MICROPHONE : As I am living far from home, flawless Skype communication is of essence for me. That is why I am investing in Logitech 4K Brio web cam, but as I heard mics on it are really bad. So I need something preferably USB based and hassle free, up to 250 €. It needs to be able to pick up my voice clearly if I'm lying down on my bed 3 meters away, but also to be able to do some voice recording very nicely and isolate the nioise when I am close enough. So maybe something that has several mods of operation. I have no idea what to pick, Razer, Yeti, or something third, from reputable Mic manufacturers?

Many thanks in advance for helping out.

Cheers!

My 5000€ dream machine
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qzFFLD

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Sennheiser makes good headphones, and i estimated the audio equipment be like $390 maybe?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Search up "Z reviews" on Youtube. His channel is on the smaller side, but he prioritizes audio over brand hype and audio is his thing.

None of the gear you have linked would be my first choice.

For the speakers I would chose something like the JBL LSR305, or maybe the LSR308's. 

Vanatoo Transparent 1 would be an even better choice for the speakers, but I am unsure of the availability in Europe. 

You don't need to get a separate 'Speaker driver'  and 'Headphone driver'. 

Both the speaker driver and Headphone driver you have listed above are both Headphone/DAC combo's, with the Sennheiser  GSX 1200 (and 1000), being amp/dac combos, with fancy shit like virtual surround added to it.

For the Headphones I would get something like the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. No need to get any gaming headphone crap, if your getting a standalone mic anyways.

The HD600 and HD650, have a relatively high impedance of 300ohms I believe, but they also have a relatively high sensitivity, so they are not to hard to drive.

Your motherboard should be able to power them just fine.

If you do want a DAC or a Headphone amp/dac combo, I have heard many good things about audio gd. They pricing seems decent but they are based in Japan.

As for a MIC, I'll let someone more knowledgeable than me to help you.

@Dackzy and Z Reviews have been mentioned in the same thread. His summer isn't starting off well. 

@vladecrni I would recommend against pretty much all of that. 

For speakers I would look into the JBl LSR305s (should be $300).

Maybe get a Micca Origin for both headphone and speakers (about $100)

Then you have $600 to pick a pair of proper headphones and a microphone.  

For headphones I can reommend looking into the Sennheiser HD558s or maybe even the HD600s.

Also the midrange of AKG could be a choice.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Thank you all for advice :) ! I appreciate it. 
Anything nicer looking then these JBL's to recommend :D ? I would prefer something that is designed to sit on a desk and with a PC in mind, while these are studio monitors. Of course sound quality is absolutely priority still, but comfort of having a volume knob, on/off switch in front, remote control and some other features would be appreciated as well. 

What would be the advantage of JBL to A5+ ?

How good are HD 650 in regard to positional audio while gaming? If I get them what would be the source of choice to pair with them?

Micca Origin is unavailable for me

My 5000€ dream machine

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Search up "Z reviews" on Youtube. His channel is on the smaller side, but he prioritizes audio over brand hype and audio is his thing.

his channel is filled with stupid and is run by this deaf man that can't really hear anything nor can this man describe the sound. His knowledge is also lacking quite a bit. 10/10 would not recommend watching his videos.

3 hours ago, vladecrni said:

SPEAKERS : Audioengine A5+

Okay, let me start from an end. Those are shit and way overpriced, the best in this budget is really the JBL LSR 305's, they have higher audio quality, more detail and MUCH better positional audio. They don't look that nice (I guess), but damn do they sound good. Also, don't listen to Linus when it comes to audio or TBH anything.

SPEAKER DRIVER :  Audioengine D1 24-BIT DAC/HEADPHONE AMP  (160 €) - I have no Idea about this one. I just chose it because Amazon recommended it as Frequently bought together . I guess that they go well together since they are from the same manufacturer ? Do I really need anything, or can I drive it from Maximus IX Formula MoBo ? What to look for here?

That is called a headphones amp DAC combo or DAC amp combo and the one you are looking at is crap, not even worth 80€. It is mainly made for headphones, but this model offers a preamp for your active speakers.

Instead of buying this and that other crap from Sennheiser get a NFB 11.28 which you can find on magnahifi.com or if you want something cheaper get a schiit fulla 2 or a Schiit modi 2 + magni 2 Uber. All of these options wrecks that audiocrap in audio quality and they all have pre out for speakers.

HEADPHONES : Sennheiser GAME ONE This one is a no–brainer fro me. I had PC 360, and couldn't be happier with them, so this seems like a logical step forward. But I am open to suggestions, if you have some. I should mention that I need a headset for gaming, as I am not willing to go the modmic route. Will buy 6XX eventually as well for music and other needs.

Why pay the premium to get a headset, when you are going to buy a microphone anyways? 

HD6xx is a massdrop version of the HD 650's and from what I have heard then they are a bit cheaper made but sound the same. They have a fairly small soundstage, but good positional audio so when you add those things up then you get headphones that are decent/good for gaming. They have a "warm" sound with an elevated bass and a bit veiled treble. You can get headphones with a bigger soundstage for the same or less and better/as good positional audio, but they also have a very different sound signature, often tending more "neutral" or bright, like the AD700x, AD500x, AD 900x, K612, Q701 and more. My advice would be to go to an audio store and try everything out and maybe take some notes about each headphone, that way you should be able to find the signature that fits you just right.

HEADPHONE DRIVER : Sennheiser GSX 1000 or GSX 1200 PRO (190€) I opted for this one as it is again same manufacturer for most comparability, and after a positive HardwareCanucks review. Don't know the difference between 1000 and 1200 model though. Is there maybe something better for the money? Will this be able to drive my HD 6XX later on? Is the MoBo enough here these days ?

you don't need that crap, a good open headphone is going to be better than some mediocre headphone + that virtual surround shit, hell even a good open headphone with a big soundstage is not going to be any better with that virtual shit vs just normal stereo. All you need to really beat it is a headphone with a decently sized soundstage and decent positional audio.

Plus if you actually have tried it and really listened to it then everything sounds artificial when it is running.

MICROPHONE : As I am living far from home, flawless Skype communication is of essence for me. That is why I am investing in Logitech 4K Brio web cam, but as I heard mics on it are really bad. So I need something preferably USB based and hassle free, up to 250 €. It needs to be able to pick up my voice clearly if I'm lying down on my bed 3 meters away, but also to be able to do some voice recording very nicely and isolate the nioise when I am close enough. So maybe something that has several mods of operation. I have no idea what to pick, Razer, Yeti, or something third, from reputable Mic manufacturers?

Razers mic is crap and blue audio is dog shit. Just get a Audio technica 2020 USB, it is going to run you about 150€

Let's see what all of this adds up to without massdrop.

LSR305 + NFB11.28 + HD 650 + AT 2020 USB: 1160€ without shipping

LSR305 + Fulla 2+ HD 650 + AT 2020 USB: 876€ without shipping

LSR305 + Modi 2 + Magni 2 + HD 650 + AT 2020 USBe: 1045€ without shipping

You can make them all what 100€ cheaper by getting the HD6xx over the HD 650's. Though I would recommend getting something a bit better than a fulla 2 for HD 650's since they scale pretty well with amps and DACs, I think a good cheap match for them would be a schiit vali 2 + modi 2 since they do like a bit of tube and it can also work as a pre amp.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Volbet said:

@Dackzy and Z Reviews have been mentioned in the same thread. His summer isn't starting off well. 

and it is not ending well either :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, vladecrni said:

...having a volume knob... on the front...

You could just get an inline volume control for this purpose. Better than a volume knob on speakers really, as far as changing play back listening level goes.

Something like this would be adequate for you: http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus

2 minutes ago, ianb said:

You could just get an inline volume control for this purpose. Better than a volume knob on speakers really, as far as changing level goes.

Something like this would be adequate for you: http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/products/monitor-controllers/nano-patch-plus

Mm, no. The amps @Dackzy mentioned have pre-outs.

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Then why does he appear to know jack shit about what he's talking about?

Since it's part of the topic here, I wonder if anyone has any knowledge about the Kanto YUMI, or Yu5 (now Yu6) vs the Audioengine A5+.  It seems to me they were created as a direct competitor, with similar looks and size, and I've heard them compared favourably in (what very few) reviews I've watched/read.  Why that's interesting is because the Kantos have more input options and during the right sale cost about half as much.  I just wish more people had reviewed them since I don't know how they stack up >_<

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, SSL said:

Mm, no. The amps @Dackzy mentioned have pre-outs.

It doesn't really make a difference since it's a passive controller, whereas the level control on the sound card will be active.

7 hours ago, ianb said:

It doesn't really make a difference since it's a passive controller, whereas the level control on the sound card will be active.

I don't follow. Why buy a separate device for volume control when the amp already has one? 

My current set up is a similar price tag and I love the stuff I got. I have;
Two KRK Rokkit 6

1 KRK 10s Sub

You dont have to get the sub since the six inch driver does a pretty good bass. But the sub really makes the room shake and that feeling in your stomach.

Headphones I have (very new)
DT 1770 PRO
tried the 1990s there also very good but didnt want open back. The 1770s do have so much more bass as well (its wired hearing the bass but not feeling it)

Microphone
Shure Motiv MV5
Very good USB microphone. Great quality good price. super easy to use so if you dont understand how to use microphones cant beat this.

I run this all through my motherboards built in audio. Motherboard runs it all fine no problems at all. I have it set up so if i jsut unplug my headphones from the front of my PC speakers turn straight on.

Fuck those senhieser headphones I use to have them. They break super easy, the swivel from the headband to the ear cups breaks really easy. They didnt fit my head very well. But they do sound good. But if your going to buy a microphone dont bother with these since your wasting money on microphone you wont use.

Thanks again for all the help :)

32 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Very good USB microphone. Great quality good price. super easy to use so if you dont understand how to use microphones cant beat this.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, Dackzy said:

Just get a Audio technica 2020 USB, it is going to run you about 150€

How good are these mics for picking up sound from couple of meters of distance ?

35 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

But if your going to buy a microphone dont bother with these since your wasting money on microphone you wont use.

On 6/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, Dackzy said:

Why pay the premium to get a headset, when you are going to buy a microphone anyways? 

Thanks for the advice but I want a headset. I will also most likely buy Massdrop HD 6XX, Headset is much more convenient for me for in-game chat, and I love my Sennheiser PC 360 and I can't really fault them. They have served me for 5 years flawlessly. If G4ME ONE are not worse, I will be buying them as well. So now I need an advice gaming vice - Motherboard audio vs something external. Saving is not the goal here, but getting an optimal setup.

And I wonder about Kanto as well. Sure JBL may sound good, but they are studio monitors - meaning ugly, with XLR inputs etc... not really optimised for desktop use. How does something meant for home use, like JBL Studio 230 compare ?

My 5000€ dream machine

6 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

My current set up is a similar price tag and I love the stuff I got. I have;
Two KRK Rokkit 6

1 KRK 10s Sub

You dont have to get the sub since the six inch driver does a pretty good bass. But the sub really makes the room shake and that feeling in your stomach.

Headphones I have (very new)
DT 1770 PRO
tried the 1990s there also very good but didnt want open back. The 1770s do have so much more bass as well (its wired hearing the bass but not feeling it)

Microphone
Shure Motiv MV5

How the heck did you manage to snag these for a budget of 1000 Euros? Used? A brand new DT 1770 Pro is like, around 500-600USD range I think. I'm thinking of snagging a used DT 1770 Pro for about 360USD (local $ converted to USD)......but, I just don't have an excuse to get it since I have so many cans already.

Regardless, I'd go with what Dackzy had recommended though, The LSR305 + NFB11.28/Schiit Fulla 2 + HD650 + AT2020 (I know diddly about mics, but since Dackzy'd recommended it, it should be good as Dackz knows more about audio gear than I do) would make for a very nice audio setup. I have a pair of Rokit5 G3 + Oppo HA-1 combo/Fostex HPA4 combo/Gustard H10+X12 stack + (some cans I have lying around) and I still love my setups. I'd originally intended to snag the LSR305 but there was a distinct shortage of it here in my neck of the woods, so I snagged the Rokit5 instead, still a wonderful pair of speakers, though I believe I'd have been happier with the LSR305.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

17 hours ago, SSL said:

I don't follow. Why buy a separate device for volume control when the amp already has one? 

Sorry, that was meant to be analogue/digital. It's just convenient placement and a mute switch for the most part, although i was replying more to the OP seeming to like the idea of a volume control on the front of the speakers due to easy access for playback volume and didn't really notice the interface.

Actually, looking at that interface more closely does that thing only have 1 knob for controlling both monitor and headphone outs? I guess it's likely an analogue monitor knob if so but that's kinda... not ideal. It'd irk me, but i guess it could suit some people. 

On 6/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, Mooshi said:

prioritizes audio over brand hype and audio is his thing.

Nah

11 hours ago, GamerDude said:

How the heck did you manage to snag these for a budget of 1000 Euros? Used? A brand new DT 1770 Pro is like, around 500-600USD range I think. I'm thinking of snagging a used DT 1770 Pro for about 360USD (local $ converted to USD)......but, I just don't have an excuse to get it since I have so many cans already.

Regardless, I'd go with what Dackzy had recommended though, The LSR305 + NFB11.28/Schiit Fulla 2 + HD650 + AT2020 (I know diddly about mics, but since Dackzy'd recommended it, it should be good as Dackz knows more about audio gear than I do) would make for a very nice audio setup. I have a pair of Rokit5 G3 + Oppo HA-1 combo/Fostex HPA4 combo/Gustard H10+X12 stack + (some cans I have lying around) and I still love my setups. I'd originally intended to snag the LSR305 but there was a distinct shortage of it here in my neck of the woods, so I snagged the Rokit5 instead, still a wonderful pair of speakers, though I believe I'd have been happier with the LSR305.

Bought my pair for 400 pounds which is around 450 euros. the speakers were around five hundred but with out the sub its like two hundred. microphone is 150 and is dam good. 

I was investigating a bit further regarding my options...

I need an opinion on these (if anyone has one :D ) :

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/xeo-2

How are they for 1) movies 2) music 3) gaming ? These would be priority list - in that order - for my needs (as music and games will be mostly handled by headphones)

They seem to have everything that I need. I may open up my wallet a bit further and get them in they are worth it :) .

If I understand correctly, I can just get SPDIF from my motherboard to the speakers, and then they do the rest ?

Is there anything a bit cheaper with similar functionality ?

My 5000€ dream machine

21 minutes ago, vladecrni said:

I was investigating a bit further regarding my options...

I need an opinion on these (if anyone has one :D ) :

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/xeo/xeo-2

How are they for 1) movies 2) music 3) gaming ? These would be priority list - in that order - for my needs (as music and games will be mostly handled by headphones)

They seem to have everything that I need. I may open up my wallet a bit further and get them in they are worth it :) .

If I understand correctly, I can just get SPDIF from my motherboard to the speakers, and then they do the rest ?

Is there anything a bit cheaper with similar functionality ?

I present to you the soloution to all your connection worries.
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Leads-Minijack/Mini-Jack---2-X-Phono-12-Meters_582090.htm
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Leads-Minijack/Mini-Jack---2x-Mono-Jack-1m_589380.htm
https://www.studiospares.com/Cables-Leads/Leads-Minijack/Moulded-Stereo-Mini-Jack---2x-XLR-Male-3m_688750.htm