how should i go about making a pokemon game?

prolemur

I want to make a pokemon game that is like pokemon red where you can walk around, fight pokemon, defeat the elite 4 and catch them all!

I can easily find all the files I need on the internet such as sprites, and I know enough about pokemon to know you can surf on water and use cut to cut down little trees etc.

I don't have much programming knowledge but I can learn.

What language/ide should I use and how do i get started on this project?

unity or andengine

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I want to make a pokemon game that is like pokemon red where you can walk around, fight pokemon, defeat the elite 4 and catch them all!

I can easily find all the files I need on the internet such as sprites, and I know enough about pokemon to know you can surf on water and use cut to cut down little trees etc.

I don't have much programming knowledge but I can learn.

What language/ide should I use and how do i get started on this project?

start with smaller projects.

my path was like this ...

black jack (with gui) > snake > simple 'engine' with bouncing ball (gravity) > super mario clone (with some help from the internetz) > ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

errr I would be  careful about copyright infringement there.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

There is a fuck-ton of math involved.................................

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Why do you want to make the game ?

Just get an emulator 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

start with smaller projects.

my path was like this ...

black jack (with gui) > snake > simple 'engine' with bouncing ball (gravity) > super mario clone (with some help from the internetz) > ...

how did you make the snake game?

it's not like I'd be selling it :P

And nintendo is VERY touchy about copyright stuff. In my opinion, it would be better off not to make one or make one that is very different.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

just dont upload it on the interwebz...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Well, many people who make 2D games like this write them from scratch in languages such as Java. Not to be a pessimist, but if you have little programming experience it will take a long time to learn enough to be able to program a game. I suggest you try something much simpler first, such a a console text game or a very, very basic game with a GUI.  The graphics side of game programming is extremely complicated and takes a good understanding of a language to be able to write an efficient (non laggy, playable) game. But if you are a quick learner or do have enough experience, I would recommend downloading Eclipse and get started with some Java.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

I never used it but i think RPG Maker covers 100% of what you need for a pokemon game. I'm not sure how much programming is required i would think that it might have some kind of scripting engine...

If you decide to make it from scratch try java but don't do GUI stuff... make small console tools to learn java and then go straight to opengl or canvas stuff (ok both involves a little bit of gui programming).

What if OP does not distribute it?  If OP is the only one that is ever going to play it, then it might be fine.  But we know how that works (or doesn't).

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

I would go with the Unity game engine. Their new version makes it easy for 2D game development. Pick up a few books to get started and you could feasibly do it because it makes it easier than coding it yourself. It will save you time. Plus, you can buy assets from their store to make your life easier. :D

Hope this advice help. Ask any questions if you have any; or the internet is a pretty good place for finding answers.