How much ram does a phone need?

maxzug2

Phones have been getting more and more ram, to the point where they have more ram than quite a few laptops. How much ram do you think we need?

17 minutes ago, maxzug2 said:

How much ram do you think we need?

2.5 petabytes

2GB minimum for most apps these days. 3-4GB if you want your phone to last a couple of years or more.
Less for iPhones because they're better optimised.

I edit my posts a lot.

I'd say 2GB minimum, 4GB is recommended and 6GB for "futureproofing"

CPU - i7-10700K, MB -MSI Z490 Gaming PlusRAM-Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHz, GPU - MSI GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING X TRIO, PSU - EVGA 650w Supernova G2 80+ GoldStorage - Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB ,WD 3x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, Cooler- Noctua NH-D15S, CASE Fractal Meshify 2 Compact

Unless you're using a phone solely for gaming, you would only need about 3 GB for full functionality.

depends what you use it for. 1GB for basic phone use on android (just phone stuff and management), 2GB+ if you plan to use social stuff like facebook,twitter,etc.

It depends on the operating system.

Android is aggressive about RAM use, so you need a lot for a phone to be buttery-smooth.  I'd say 3GB of RAM is decent in 2017, 4GB is preferable, and anything more may be overkill... for now.

However, iOS is incredibly lean.  2GB of RAM is more than enough on an iPhone, 3GB is generous, and 4GB is over the top.  Let's put it this way: the 4GB on the iPad Pro is so well-used that it'll preserve the exact status in apps you last opened the day before.