Ryzen 7 1700 for video editing?

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my PC with the latest Ryzen 7 CPU, more specifically the 1700. My current rig packs an AMD FX6300, which is alright but I think it might be bottlenecking some programs. 

So my question is: will upgrading to a Ryzen 7 1700 drastically improve how programs like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop (and Lightroom) run? Because as I know these programs take advantage of the GPU, which will still be the very mediocre AMD R7 265. 

I am the one who knocks.

Yes, R7 1700 is the best CPU for video editing in this price range. I dont know even how to compare FX 6300 to a R7 1700, its probably like 3x faster.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

5 minutes ago, Walter H.W. said:

Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my PC with the latest Ryzen 7 CPU, more specifically the 1700. My current rig packs an AMD FX6300, which is alright but I think it might be bottlenecking some programs. 

So my question is: will upgrading to a Ryzen 7 1700 drastically improve how programs like Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop (and Lightroom) run? Because as I know these programs take advantage of the GPU, which will still be the very mediocre AMD R7 265. 

It´s a very good CPU for this task. The 1700 will satisfy your needs. I would upgrade your rig with it :D

6 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

Yes, R7 1700 is the best CPU for video editing in this price range. I dont know even how to compare FX 6300 to a R7 1700, its probably like 3x faster.

1 minute ago, Sadleast said:

It´s a very good CPU for this task. The 1700 will satisfy your needs. I would upgrade your rig with it :D

Just to be clear, I'm talking about how fast the program runs, the editing itself, video previews etc.. Not rendering/exporting times, those will obviously be better. 

I am the one who knocks.

5 minutes ago, Walter H.W. said:

Just to be clear, I'm talking about how fast the program runs, the editing itself, video previews etc.. Not rendering/exporting times, those will obviously be better. 

Yes. In speed of the programs those two won´t be different. And the Ryzen CPU will take ahead because it has more Cores and also better cores

1 minute ago, Sadleast said:

Yes. In speed of the programs those two won´t be different. And the Ryzen CPU will take ahead because it has double the Cores.

It doesnt has the double the cores, FX 6300 has 6, Ryzen 7 1700 has 8, but they are way better cores, and with HT.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

It doesnt has the double the cores, FX 6300 has 6, Ryzen 7 1700 has 8, but they are way better cores, and with HT.

thx it was my mistake :D i changed it 

5 minutes ago, Sadleast said:

Yes. In speed of the programs those two won´t be different. And the Ryzen CPU will take ahead because it has more Cores and also better cores

So, are you saying the R7 1700 won't be better except for rendering times? 

I am the one who knocks.

20 minutes ago, Walter H.W. said:

So, are you saying the R7 1700 won't be better except for rendering times? 

i dont think so. Programms might open faster but this can also depend on your hard drive or ssd where these files are installed. But you can expect that with the 1700 the programms will run more smoothly without hickups :D

2 hours ago, Sadleast said:

i dont think so. Programms might open faster but this can also depend on your hard drive or ssd where these files are installed. But you can expect that with the 1700 the programms will run more smoothly without hickups :D

I must say I'm not really convinced now..

I am the one who knocks.

17 hours ago, Walter H.W. said:

I must say I'm not really convinced now..

How fast programs react depends on many componends not only CPU. But you won't regret buying a Ryzen. Such programs will definitly run better with a better CPU (things you've listed). I think you should Compare those two CPU´s and decide if the better performance is worth buying :D

10 hours ago, Sadleast said:

How fast programs react depends on many componends not only CPU. But you won't regret buying a Ryzen. Such programs will definitly run better with a better CPU (things you've listed). I think you should Compare those two CPU´s and decide if the better performance is worth buying :D

It's just I know getting a big (512GB) SSD would do much more than just changing CPU.. I almost got a good one for "cheap" but then price went up and I'm not getting it on principle.. So maybe I'll try to get the SSD first and then upgrade the CPU if I feel like I need it.

Yesterday I was using Sony Vegas and checking CPU load and it was nowhere near 100% load..

PS: I'm quite certain my GPU is also sucking a ton with two 1080P screens.. But I'm not going to get a new GPU with the CPU I own.. Maybe after some months AMD Vega comes out I'll just build an entirely new PC.

I am the one who knocks.

Well if you compare it to a 1600 6v6 cores

ryzen ipc is 53 percent faster plus plus 1/3 for the extra 2 cores and 4 threads is say it's a good 80 percent more powerful for video rendering 

In light works I render a 10min video at 720 for YouTube in about 45 seconds 

but I'm not sure if light works uses gpu too 

it will be a massive upgrade for you mate 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

The other advantage of Ryzen is the ability to use PCIe ssd. Add a m.2 drive to the mix and you'll get massive improvements in scrubbing and the editing process itself.

So in the end it's not the cpu directly, but the features it offers.

10 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

ryzen ipc is 53 percent faster plus plus 1/3 for the extra 2 cores and 4 threads is say it's a good 80 percent more powerful for video rendering 

Yes, I know rendering times would be much better, but as I wrote earlier that's not my main problem, scrubbing through the videos and editing them is.. :S

9 hours ago, Evanair said:

The other advantage of Ryzen is the ability to use PCIe ssd. Add a m.2 drive to the mix and you'll get massive improvements in scrubbing and the editing process itself.

So in the end it's not the cpu directly, but the features it offers.

Agreed, but as you mentioned that means still getting a new SSD and that adds up to CPU, Mobo and RAM..

If I only get a 500GB SSD then I could store videos there momentarily and scrubbing and editing should be faster, or am I wrong?

I am the one who knocks.

Your SSD performance over SATA will be almost the same.  The interface is identical. 

15 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Also the power consuption is much better and more efficient

6 hours ago, Evanair said:

Your SSD performance over SATA will be almost the same.  The interface is identical. 

I've to admit I didn't know there was such a huge difference between m.2 (PCIe, expensive ones) and SATA. But I was comparing the SSD to an HDD, which even on SATA destroys it.

I am the one who knocks.

They aren't that expensive actually. Look up the Samsung Evo 250gb, should be around 100 dollars. It's a great drive to use for video editing, copy your current project from storage HDD to the m.2, work, encode to SSD. Then copy to storage (using all 3 drives in the end)

The m.2 drives  (PCIe ones) are insanely fast and no longer insanely expensive.