Xeon E5640 and GTX 1060

KeylinK
Go to solution Solved by RuLeZ,
6 minutes ago, KeylinK said:

@RuLeZ I'm kinda lost right now after seeing this video, that xeon is older than the one I own and it doesn't bottleneck at all. Also it's the same workstation. He even runs the game on ultrawide monitor.

Its playing at 40 fps range, Witcher 3 uses 8 threads and its more GPU bound, which means that Witcher 3 needs better GPUs than CPUs.

But hey, just buy a GPU with your CPU and try it, if you notice that it doesnt play well, you can always change the CPU later.

I have a question, does the Xeon E5640 no OC ( locked ) bottleneck the GTX 1060 6Gb ?

6 minutes ago, KeylinK said:

I have a question, does the Xeon E5640 no OC ( locked ) bottleneck the GTX 1060 6Gb ?

1. are you buying the xeon or do you already have it? if you are buying it for how much?
  2. btw also consider rx580 8gb
  3. yes it will be bottle necked but you can buy it and latter on get a better pc. r5 1600 is a very good cpu

@Zaki_Owais @Ethocreeper I already have a Dell T5500 with this Xeon but it can't be overclocked. The RX 580 8gb is a lot more expensive than the GTX 1060 6Gb in my country. So how much bottleneck will I be getting on games like Battlefield 1 / GTA 5 / The Witcher 3 ?

1 minute ago, KeylinK said:

@Zaki_Owais @Ethocreeper I already have a Dell T5500 with this Xeon but it can't be overclocked. The RX 580 8gb is a lot more expensive than the GTX 1060 6Gb in my country. So how much bottleneck will I be getting on games like Battlefield 1 / GTA 5 / The Witcher 3 ?

then get the 1060 6gb

we cant know how much the bottleneck will be but i suggest you get the 1060 and latter on upgrade to a ryzen 1600

3 minutes ago, KeylinK said:

Wait!Which rx 580 and 1060 are you talking about

@Ethocreeper Also in terms of bottlenecking how is the i5 2400 comparing to this Xeon with the GTX 1060 6GB ? Can I upgrade the CPU with this PC ?

@Zaki_Owais The cheapest GTX 1060 which is the MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GT OC V1 costs around ~320$ while the cheapest RX 580 4GB costs 350$ :S .

1 minute ago, KeylinK said:

@Ethocreeper Also in terms of bottlenecking how is the i5 2400 comparing to this Xeon with the GTX 1060 6GB ? Can I upgrade the CPU with this PC ?

@Zaki_Owais The cheapest GTX 1060 which is the MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GT OC V1 costs around ~320$ while the cheapest RX 580 4GB costs 350$ :S .

If the game uses 8 threads, the Xeon will be on par with the i5, if the game uses 4 threads or less, the i5 will bet the Xeon easily.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

2 minutes ago, KeylinK said:

Have mercy on your wallet while gettting a good card

3 minutes ago, KeylinK said:

save your money and get a good pc that will last you for a while.

preferably a r5 1600 build which will be around 300 without ram (now its very expensive it will get alot cheaper)

Just now, KeylinK said:

@Zaki_Owais Lol what do you mean ? Is it that bad ?

@Rulez How much ?

In a 4-1 threaded game (most of them are, but its getting better), I expect the i5 to be around 40% faster than the Xeon, the i5 has newer architecture and higher clock. 

But in 6-8 threaded, the Xeon may be on par, because it has HT.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just now, KeylinK said:

@Zaki_Owais Lol what do you mean ? Is it that bad ?

@Rulez How much ?

Get a cheap 1060.You won't gain much fps by getting a strix version.Beside the 1060 performs similarly to rx 580(you don't have to say lol just give me a "funny" reputation update)

@Zaki_Owais Like I said this is the cheapest one.

@RuLeZdon't see any kind of bottleneck with the Xeon. Mind explain why?

Just now, KeylinK said:

@Zaki_Owais Like I said this is the cheapest one.

@Rulez  I don't see any kind of bottleneck with the Xeon. Mind explain why?

GTA V is a 8 threaded game.

Spoiler

@RuLeZ Thanks, I kinda understand now. 

2.7Ghz @ 3.4 Ghz

And the Xeon is being overclocked.

PS: He wrote "XEON E6540 ", but thats a typo.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

2.7Ghz @ 3.4 Ghz

And the Xeon is being overclocked.

PS: He wrote "XEON E6540 ", but thats a typo.

That's a small overclock, will it make that much difference? Also what are some games that are 4 threaded. 

At this point, I'm thinking of getting a prebuild PC with an i5 2400 and GTX 1050Ti + 1080p monitor since I'm only using a 1280x1024 one. 

That's a small overclock, will it make that much difference? Also what are some games that are 4 threaded. 

At this point, I'm thinking of getting a prebuild PC with an i5 2400 and GTX 1050Ti + 1080p monitor since I'm only using a 1280x1024 one. 

Getting a used one right? If not, I dont recommend getting a GTX 1050 Ti, get a RX 470 instead(or RX 570, but they are expensive rightnow).

Getting a 1080p is a must, you will see MASSIVE improvements in image quality from 1280x1024.

PS: Whats your budget? and where do you live?

Spoiler

@RuLeZ The graphics card is not a used one and the prebuilt PC only has 300W Gold PSU so I can't use an RX 470. 

My budget is 600$ and I live in Morocco, so building my own rig is out of question since it only ends up being a LOT more expensive :( 

@RuLeZ The graphics card is not a used one and the prebuilt PC only has 300W Gold PSU so I can't use an RX 470. 

My budget is 600$ and I live in Morocco, so building my own rig is out of question since it only ends up being a LOT more expensive :( 

Hmm, then yes, probably its a good combo, it should work with a RX 470, but its better to dont push the PSU like that, the CPU has 95W TDP already.

Spoiler

@RuLeZ So should I just play it safe and get the GTX 1050 Ti ? Also thanks for taking time to help me with these questions :) 

Just now, KeylinK said:

@RuLeZ So should I just play it safe and get the GTX 1050 Ti ? Also thanks for taking time to help me with these questions :) 

Maybe some people would risk it, but I would get a GTX 1050 Ti in this case.

Spoiler

@RuLeZ I'm kinda lost right now after seeing this video, that xeon is older than the one I own and it doesn't bottleneck at all. Also it's the same workstation. He even runs the game on ultrawide monitor.