Most silent way for cooling? Custom Loop vs Air Cooling?

Hey everyone,

I am the proud owner of an Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG, which i like more than any other case when it comes to design.

I put my system together like a half year ago:

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700k 4,5 Ghz

-> Cooled by an Corsair h100i (mounted in the front)

Mainboard: MSi Z170 Krait Gaming 3X

RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 2400Mhz (2x8G)

GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380X 4GB (will be changed to GTX 1070)

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W

Memory: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SSD, 1TB WD HDD

I used the stock fans, because at that time i was not as much thinking about loudness than I am now.

Over the time, I do more and more Music Production in my DAW and when it's now getting summer in Germany, I have problems with loudness and temperatures (not a big wonder with stock fans).

So now I decided to go for an (in best case) dead silent build and I am thinking about what to change.

Now I am thinking about if I should keep my Evolv TG (again, I just love the look), or if it would be better going with an insulated case directly (like Dark Base).

I will definitely kick off the Corsair AIO, because the Pump Noise (Already on quiet mode in corsair link) is pretty annoying.

I am also thinking about, if a custom loop or a good air cooling would be quieter in my scenario. (6700k@4,5Ghz / GTX1070 with OC)

Room temps between 20-28 C

What advice would you give me?

Regards,

Casparian

PS: Sorry for by bad English, I'm from Germany :(

If you've got a lot of time and money, then put in a custom loop (that case deserves one anyways). If not, get an AIO for the CPU and some nice quiet aftermarket fans (Noctua makes the best, but they're brown and cream coloured). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

If you've got a lot of time and money, then put in a custom loop (that case deserves one anyways). If not, get an AIO for the CPU and some nice quiet aftermarket fans (Noctua makes the best, but they're brown and cream coloured). 

Thank you for your quick response, but I posted in the start post, that I already have an AIO.

The problem with it isn't only the fan noise, but also the pump noise, so I will sell it.

6 minutes ago, Casparian said:

Thank you for your quick response, but I posted in the start post, that I already have an AIO.

The problem with it isn't only the fan noise, but also the pump noise, so I will sell it.

My bad, didn't see that. I'd go ahead and sell it and look for one that's really quiet. Or maybe move to a large air cooler with a quiet fan. Or do a custom loop, but that's gonna be expensive. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just a quick Push, I edited the topic, so my question is clear to see now.

12 hours ago, Casparian said:

Can't you control the water flow?Doesn't you're motherboard have a dedicated water pump header like some asus and rog motherboards? 

2 hours ago, Aleksiandrovich said:

I thought water cooling is actually quite a loud solution and rather being done for cooling and appearance vs sound.

Yes, because the pumps can be louder than a fan spinning. Also the fans

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

3 hours ago, Zaki_Owais said:

Can't you control the water flow?Doesn't you're motherboard have a dedicated water pump header like some asus and rog motherboards? 

It doesn't have a pump header, but of course it has 4-Pin fan headers.

The problem is, that the AIO from Corsair connects via an internal usb port and not via fan header, so I can only control it with Corsairs Software, and that Software is pretty restricted.

So I will definitely go for a new cooling soluton and I am wondering about what would be the best in my scenario.

1 minute ago, Casparian said:

It doesn't have a pump header, but of course it has 4-Pin fan headers.

The problem is, that the AIO from Corsair connects via an internal usb port and not via fan header, so I can only control it with Corsairs Software, and that Software is pretty restricted.

Wow that's weird, I've never been so "deep" in watercooling problems before

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

To return to my question, the thing I am still wondering about is,

the quietest way to cool my system.

The other problem with cooling is, that also if I have the most quiet air cooler for my CPU,

the 1070s are still pretty loud under load, aren't they?

So I am wondering about if I should just go for air cooling, or if the money for a custom loop is as worth, that I would spend so much (I don't have that much money).

And could you maybe give me some price range for a loop with 6700k OC and GTX 1070 OC?

If the decision comes to air cooling, I would go for a not so "Show-Off-Your-Rig" case (not so pretty with air cooling), a good one would be the Dark Base Pro 900 in my opinion.

I have got another question:

Is the Enthoo Evolv ATX TG as bad for airflow, like it is often told in forums?

Still my question:

Is the Evolv ATX bad for airflow?

If you share this opinion, I would sell it and buy a more open case.

• 3 weeks later...
On June 4, 2017 at 9:48 PM, Casparian said:

Still my question:

Evolv TG is better personally

@pelark

@C4xy

@xXCapAwesomeXx

@GrayTech

@Xiauj

@Droidbot

@Brain5454

@BrightShadowDK

@featherwolf

@STRMfrmXMN

@MaxwellCYK

@razor007

@HerySean

@tom_w141

@DocSwag

@Savage Gladiator

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

10 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

[LOTS OF USERS LISTED]

Hey m8, i like to talk to you.. but plz. stop spam´ing.. 
Mentioning 1 or 2 persons is fair if you think they can help but, this is to much..

I´ll  C U around :D

1 minute ago, BrightShadowDK said:

Hey m8, i like to talk to you.. but plz. stop spam´ing.. 
Mentioning 1 or 2 persons is fair if you think they can help but, this is to much..

I´ll  C U around :D

Ok sorry i wonder where you are when i say hi on private message

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

On 3.6.2017 at 4:34 PM, Casparian said:

To return to my question, the thing I am still wondering about is,

the quietest way to cool my system.

The other problem with cooling is, that also if I have the most quiet air cooler for my CPU,

the 1070s are still pretty loud under load, aren't they?

So I am wondering about if I should just go for air cooling, or if the money for a custom loop is as worth, that I would spend so much (I don't have that much money).

And could you maybe give me some price range for a loop with 6700k OC and GTX 1070 OC?

If the decision comes to air cooling, I would go for a not so "Show-Off-Your-Rig" case (not so pretty with air cooling), a good one would be the Dark Base Pro 900 in my opinion.

Well, for a dead silent computer you need passive cooling. You can DIY something, have a look here:

or dampen all noise generated. like here:

Air cooling with large heat sinks and good quality slow spinning fans (Noctua) is not a bad start. The pump will allways be to loud.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

1. Old post

2. Stop mass tagging

Sorry but i need to know what is necro?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

On 6/4/2017 at 7:48 AM, Casparian said:

Still my question:

Yes, it is bad for airflow compared to most of its competitors.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If you go the custom water cooling loop, you could probably make it quieter if you can find a case with enough space for rads (you'd probably want at least a 360 or something like two 240s).

Otherwise, air cooling would be better. Custom would be better than air. If you can get enough rads.

Do note that there's an aio out there, the fractal design Celsius s24, that's pretty quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11400/the-fractal-design-celsius-s24-s36-aio-coolers-review

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 6/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, Casparian said:

Still my question:

Check out JayzTwoCents recent video on the 1800x in the Evolv, airflow isn't that great for watercooling in it.

Edited by pelark

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Do note that there's an aio out there, the fractal design Celsius s24, that's pretty quiet.

S36 aswell, they're some of the quietest AIOs out there

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

7 hours ago, pelark said:

S36 aswell, they're some of the quietest AIOs out there

Checking the Anandtech review though the s36 isn't worth getting over the s24, the difference ranges from very little in the s36's favor to the s24 having lower temps, and it costs significantly more so... not worth it imo

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Curiously enough one can have a very quiet system in an open mesh case. So changing to a "silent" case might help a bit, but there is much that can be done before that.

Essentially one needs to run fans as slow as possible while maintaining sufficient airflow for cooling. I believe the Evolv ATX TG includes a PWM hub, so case fan speeds can be controlled through a motherboard PWM fan header. Adding more and/or quieter case fans may help. 

The H100i is a fairly noisy cpu cooler. Certainly a custom loop that included gpu would be optimal. Short of that switching to a quieter cpu AIO would probably help. Not sure which one offers the best combination of cooling and low noise, but the Nzxt Kraken X62 can be fairly quiet. An alternative to changing the cpu cooler would be to undervolt the cpu. One might loose a little performance, but it can significantly reduce cooling requirements.

Air tower coolers are only quieter at lower loads. Once one spins the fans up to handle higher demands, they become fairly noisy.

Switching the gpu will help. Some of the non-reference coolers are quite good and can run quietly for most work outside of rendering or game play.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.