Random crashes on both the original card AND THE RMA REPLACEMENT (!)

I can't for the life of me work this out or find it on forums and I'm getting nothing from EVGA.

I installed a brand new EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SSC ACX 3.0 but it would cause crashes on the computer I had at the time, and now on my new computer too:

• The mouse just stops moving and sound stops playing. No visual or audio artefacts. There is no blue screen, and it doesn't reboot, it just literally freezes and does
    nothing indefinitely, with the last window contents staying on the monitor. Sometimes (~20% of the time, but rarely lately) the GPU fans ramp to full speed indefinitely.
  • The crashes don't seem to be related to workload at all. I don't play games, so pretty much 100% of the time, my computer is only running around 5-10 windows of the following: Chrome, File Explorer, Excel, Outlook, Word, Adobe Reader, MPC-BE. But crashes have sometimes happened with no windows open whatsoever.
  • This would happen about every 20 minutes (only counting time while using the computer - see last dot point below), but it could be as soon as 5 minutes or less after restarting
  • There are some weird patterns:
    • The crashes always happened when the mouse was moving. I don't remember a crash where I was either away from the computer/doing something else at my desk, and then couldn't move the mouse because of a crash.
    • Like 80% of the crashes happened in the 5 minutes after I returned to my computer after not using it for some time.

So I RMA'd it but the replacement does the same thing!!!!

I've tried updating and reinstalling graphics drivers.

Note that this product has no PSU cable - it takes all its power from the slot.

My old graphics card which I've been using in the meantime is an ASUS GTX 760 DirectCU II OC (which has 8 pin power).

The combination of hardware which works and doesn't makes me think that the problem is to do with the on-card power management. But I've had it with two iterations of the product so I'm confused as to why no-one including EVGA knows what's up or how to fix it.

Does anyone know if these cards without PSU cables are particularly prone to power problems, especially given this card is factory overclocked?

Any geniuses out there who knows what's happening?

Current computer specs:

• Intel Core i7-7700K
  • G.Skill F4-3200C15D-32GTZ
  • SanDisk Extreme II 240 GB
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
  • Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
  • Noctua NH-D15S
  • Windows 10
  • (no PCIE devices apart from the GPU)

Old computer specs:

• Intel Core i7-4771
  • G.Skill F3-2400C10D-8GTX
  • SanDisk Extreme II 240 GB (same one as above)
  • ASUS MAXIMUS VI IMPACT
  • Silversone SX-600G
  • Noctua NH-L9i
  • Windows 10
  • (no PCIE devices apart from the GPU)
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          25/5/17 1:01:01 am
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (70368744177664),(2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Aaron
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>5</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-05-24T15:01:01.042782800Z" />
    <EventRecordID>10692</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Aaron</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
    <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
    <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
    <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">true</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

@0aaron sounds like your HDD is dying some of the symptoms of the HDD dying is: the time of actual usage would decrease like from 1 hour to 30 minutes to 20, 10, 5 and eventually the computer wont even start. Another symptom is 99 or 100% disk usage all the time, and that your computer is very slow in opening games and booting up, the last symptom is random stuff getting corrupted 

Suggestions: Back up all of your data so that if it is infact a dying HDD you dont lose all of your data

Im telling you all of this from past experience with dying hard drives, i had 3 dying hard drives in the past and trust me its not fun to lose all of your data

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

5 minutes ago, weed said:

@0aaron sounds like your HDD is dying some of the symptoms of the HDD dying is: the time of actual usage would decrease like from 1 hour to 30 minutes to 20, 10, 5 and eventually the computer wont even start. Another symptom is 99 or 100% disk usage all the time, and that your computer is very slow in opening games and booting up, the last symptom is random stuff getting corrupted 

Suggestions: Back up all of your data so that if it is infact a dying HDD you dont lose all of your data

Im telling you all of this from past experience with dying hard drives, i had 3 dying hard drives in the past and trust me its not fun to lose all of your data

good way to check this would be to take a look at crystal disk info

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

8 minutes ago, weed said:

hm I did consider that but I dismissed it after the crashes stopped altogether with my old card.

I'll look into it tho, thanks

Edit: Oh it's actually fine, thanks @19_blackie_73

d056fb7a9e.png

Edited by 0aaron
Added image

6 minutes ago, 0aaron said:

hm I did consider that but I dismissed it after the crashes stopped altogether with my old card.

I'll look into it tho, thanks

Edit: Oh it's actually fine, thanks @19_blackie_73

d056fb7a9e.png

Ok, check your CPU thats the next logical thing to check run a stress test and see what happens.

Important question: Was your computer on when you added the GPU or did you put it inside the slot incorrectly? 

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

It's 99% with the GPU if swapping that out removes the problem.

Do you use GPU tuning software like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X? Check the voltage and clock speed. Though rare, it's possible that the VBIOS sets the clock speed way too high when you start using it. Try updating the VBIOS if it's not the newest.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

EVGA are giving me another RMA so I'll try these if the same problem comes up