Get Nvidia Shield or Wait for Another Gen. of it?

MainStageNews

I know the cliche that if you wait for products you always going to be waiting. But right now the deal that Nvidia is offering if you buy a a 7xx series card you get some games and a $100 discount on the shield is amazing. But I dont really need an upgrade since im still at 1080p and using a 7970. The reason im thinking about getting it is because when ever I do have free time im usually at the girl friends place, and she lives right next door so I could still use my desktop while im over there. I haven't heard really too many (if any) big negatives on this generation of the shield, but if you have any please tell me. Thanks guys

you are aware that you do need a nvidia kepler gpu in order to use it? 650ti and up, and i don't think it would work so great if you were next door might add some latency .. can't say for sure .. i don't own it, also they say you need REALLY beefy router to use it, to avoid suttering and whatnot.

i would definitely get a shield if i wasn't rocking a sapphire 7950 graphics card ... i am tempted to buy a nvidia gpu because of it but .. really i can't get a new graphics card just to use the

shield, and the fact that the bloody thing is hardly even avaliable anywhere.

I say don't get it at all... you'll be able to use the same stream capabilities with SteamOS and play stupid android games with your phone.

you are aware that you do need a nvidia kepler gpu in order to use it? and i don't think it would work so great if you were next door might add some latency .. can't say for sure .. i don't own it, also they say you need REALLY beefy router to use it.

i would definitely get a shield if i wasn't rocking a sapphire 7950 graphics card ... i am tempted to buy a nvidia gpu because of it but .. really i can't get a new graphics card just to use the shield.

if i did get a shield i would get a 780 or 770 because of the deal they have right now. And yeah i know you need a good router.

Seems too expensive IMO. I feel like I wouldn't find myself using it up to its full value.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

if i did get a shield i would get a 780 or 770 because of the deal they have right now. And yeah i know you need a good router.

in the thread you gave me the impression you intended to keep your 7970, that's fine then, as long as you are aware and wont run into any problems :P

the very concept of the shield product might be somewhat obsolete in the upcoming years, and really has anyone seen any news or any details whatsoever on shield 2.0 except tegra 5?

i guess it's entierly up to you if you want to bust out the money (and that's going to be ALOT of money!) and buy a gpu+shield just for the sake of the shield or wait out for a next version if you think it's going to be any form of improvement worth waiting for ..

I wouldn't go for it if I were you as the 7970 is a rock solid card and it sounds like the only reason your considering the shield is because of nvidia's deal. However it would be pretty cool playing your games next door ;)

If you want it, or are interested in it then I would say go for it!  The deal with the gpu and free games running right now is excellent.  I picked up a 770 and the Shield myself and I am loving the Shield! Nvidia really got it right the first time.  I hate playing games on touchscreen phones, so I was never much of an Android gamer but I've always wanted a mobile gaming platform.  I use the Shield every day on the bus going to/from work and I take it pretty much everywhere so when I have a few free minutes I bring out the Shield and play some games.  In terms of streaming, I am often away from my PC, but if I feel like going into the bedroom or somewhere else to be in the company of my girlfriend etc. I can do that.  Also I have used it on a single band 2.4 ghz router and it was quite playable.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I have a shield, and I can say I'm quite pleased with it. I have a crappy single 2.4Ghz band Cisco router that is like 5 years old, and I have had only a few very occasional connection issues. Since you can put any program in your steam library, you can theoretically stream any program. I have mine set up so that I can stream the Dolphin GameCube emulator and it works perfectly. Also, the speakers on the shield are actually very high quality for a device this small. I was seriously blown away, I thought they were going to be crap, but I was very wrong.

In addition, here is one of the big reasons I got my Shield: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/610867/tips-and-tricks/tnt-how-to-pc-stream-outside-of-your-home-network/

In summary, the Shield is a great device with some very minor flaws that will be fixed in the future, and I highly recommend it.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole