got thermal paste on the back of my 6600k idk what to do now.

Hello, as i was taking the cpu out of its socket so i could swap it in my new msi z170a gaming m5 mobo, some thermal paste got on the back of it and partially on the middle. im not sure what to do here besides clean the gold parts with 90%+ iso rubbing alcohol. am i screwed? should i just buy a new cpu or am i ok? serious answers only please.

14962705584151630694491.jpg

I am not a pro but I'd say get some isopropyl alcohol (90% or more ideally) and some paper towel

Dampen the paper towel by putting it over the top and turning it over then wipe it off

Just now, CallMeMysterious said:

I am not a pro but I'd say get some isopropyl alcohol (90% or more ideally) and some paper towel

Dampen the paper towel by putting it over the top and turning it over then wipe it off

Then let it dry for a little bit. I take no responsibility for any damage.

Just wipe it off with Alcohol, it should be fine. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Carefully lick it till is gone.

No, seriously now: clean with alcohol sounds good, but very important question: Is it a conductive or a non-conductive thermal paste?

Get some lint free cloths and try to wipe it off and pray you don't kill your cpu

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Carefully lick it till is gone.

No, seriously now: clean with alcohol sounds good, but very important question: Is it a conductive or a non-conductive thermal paste?

im not sure, it came with my 212 evo cooler

10 minutes ago, nickjort said:

im not sure, it came with my 212 evo cooler

I'm 99% sure it's not conductive then. The CM forum seems to agree :P 

You'll still want to clean it so it doesn't mess with the contact between CPU and motherboard, but as long as it's non-conductive you don't have to worry about getting it 101% clean.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'm 99% sure it's not conductive then. The CM forum seems to agree :P 

You'll still want to clean it so it doesn't mess with the contact between CPU and motherboard, but as long as it's non-conductive you don't have to worry about getting it 101% clean.

any idea on what i should do for the middle? cleaning the gold pads shouldnt be a problem. 

Just get some isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips or paper towels. Be gentle, take your time and it should turn out fine.

You should consider yourself lucky. The last person I saw on the forum who did this did it to an AMD CPU so they had to clean it out of 10's of pins without bending them.

Update: got everything off on the pads now i just dont know how to approach the centerIMG_20170531_202141.thumb.jpg.8d47e559d9160d822ebad795ff6eb0cc.jpg

45 minutes ago, nickjort said:

Update: got everything off on the pads now i just dont know how to approach the centerIMG_20170531_202141.thumb.jpg.8d47e559d9160d822ebad795ff6eb0cc.jpg

Get some Q-tips, and soak the ends into the alcohol. Then gently message it around the small bits and pieces, so it soak up / cleans off the thermal paste. Repeat above steps until you do not see anymore thermal paste on the CPU, and the alcohol dipped Q-tip is clean (e.g. not grey from the thermal paste).

The surface mount resistors and capacitors there are soldered on pretty securely; you'd need to be really rough to knock them loose.

These things happen...and are MUCH easier to deal with compared to...bent or broken pins on the motherboard socket.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

Get some Q-tips, and soak the ends into the alcohol. Then gently message it around the small bits and pieces, so it soak up / cleans off the thermal paste. Repeat above steps until you do not see anymore thermal paste on the CPU, and the alcohol dipped Q-tip is clean (e.g. not grey from the thermal paste).

The surface mount resistors and capacitors there are soldered on pretty securely; you'd need to be really rough to knock them loose.

These things happen...and are MUCH easier to deal with compared to...bent or broken pins on the motherboard socket.

How would i go about getting in between the resistors and capacitors. This is what i have so far

20170531_224401.jpg

11 hours ago, nickjort said:

How would i go about getting in between the resistors and capacitors. This is what i have so far

If Q-Tips aren't doing it, toothpicks are worth a shot. Just don't apply too much pressure.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

16 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Just get some isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips or paper towels. Be genital, take your time and it should turn out fine.

You should consider yourself lucky. The last person I saw on the forum who did this did it to an AMD CPU so they had to clean it out of 10's of pins without bending them.

Yeah I think this is good advice. Except for I would be gentle with it, not genital LOL.

Take your time, and try not to put too much pressure on the capacitors, so as not to damage or break them off. Not sure how fragile those are, but better safe than sorry. With patience and rubbing alcohol + Q tips, you should be fine.

Which thermal paste is it? Unless it is conductive thermal paste, it might not even be that big of a deal that some residue remains near those capacitors. As long as the pins can make contact with the gold contacts on the CPU, should be fine... so air on the side of caution when cleaning it.