What Cooler to Get?

Hey all, So basically, I'm looking to do some upgrades on my budget AMD system that I'm having some fun with and basically I want to upgrade the CPU cooler to something that performs a bit better and is A LOT quieter (as in, doesn't run at 2000RPM with no load like the stock cooler). But I'm kind of torn between a few options, I've been looking at the Cooler Master Hyper 212EVO, the Noctua NH-U9B SE2 and some AIO stuff like the Cooler Master Seidon 240V, they're all within budget (and I'm open to suggestions, especially noctua stuff as I've never tried them) and I am planning on doing some overclocking on this system (my first OC too!) because of the FX processor. 

In case this matters for clearance and stuff I have the system in a Phanteks Eclipse P400S case that has front mounts for radiators, I have an ASUS 970 Pro Gaming Aura (ATX) motherboard and the RAM I use is standard sized AData DDR3 1600MHz. 

It really helps if you give prices in Euros or give links to stores in Europe, the UK or Ireland (Even stuff like Komplett.ie or Amazon.co.uk)

Thanks in advance! 

Dylan.

a great cooler that I recommend and that many people agree is the hyper 212 Evo

Not to go off menu, but I'm a huge fan of the Cryorig H5. It's currently 48 pounds on UK Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/cryorig-H5-Universal-Cooler-radiator-refoidisseurs/dp/B00MBTOY2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496176943&sr=8-1&keywords=cryorig+h5). I use it to cool my OCed i7 6700k and it does so effortlessly. It also looks really good- an area where noctua drops the ball. The fan is pretty quiet, it's not unnecessarily massive, and it just plain works at a good price. As a bonus, the thermal paste included is no slouch either. 

1 minute ago, Alex Carr said:

a great cooler that I recommend and that many people agree is the hyper 212 Evo

I've heard great things about that cooler, it seems like the "go-to" tower cooler for many people, would it perform well in an OC situation or be as quiet as a Noctua cooler? 

1 minute ago, NotDaveMustaine said:

Not to go off menu, but I'm a huge fan of the Cryorig H5. It's currently 48 pounds on UK Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/cryorig-H5-Universal-Cooler-radiator-refoidisseurs/dp/B00MBTOY2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496176943&sr=8-1&keywords=cryorig+h5). I use it to cool my OCed i7 6700k and it does so effortlessly. It also looks really good- an area where noctua drops the ball. The fan is pretty quiet, it's not unnecessarily massive, and it just plain works at a good price. As a bonus, the thermal paste included is no slouch either. 

Ohhh, I'll be having a look into this, and as I said, I'm open to suggestions! 

many of my friends say that when overclocking their CPU stays fairly cool while maintaining a very low noise

2 minutes ago, NotDaveMustaine said:

What's it like in terms of noise? I do have a sound dampened case but the computer sits on my desk pretty much beside my face 

1 minute ago, Dylanc431 said:

I've heard great things about that cooler, it seems like the "go-to" tower cooler for many people, would it perform well in an OC situation or be as quiet as a Noctua cooler? 

The reason the evo is so popular is that it performs very well for its price if you want quiet your best bet is a Noctua air cooler, if you want the best cooling with low noise then an AiO with Noctua fans is probably your best route... although expensive.

Just now, Alex Carr said:

many of my friends say that when overclocking their CPU stays fairly cool while maintaining a very low noise

not to mention Noctua fans tend to look kinda ugly but they perform amazingly as well 

not to mention Noctua fans tend to look kinda ugly but they perform amazingly as well 

Yeah, looks aren't really too much of a care to me in terms of a CPU cooler 

2 minutes ago, Sack said:

The reason the evo is so popular is that it performs very well for its price if you want quiet your best bet is a Noctua air cooler, if you want the best cooling with low noise then an AiO with Noctua fans is probably your best route... although expensive.

I'm mainly going for the quietest possible performance with at least a 4GHz OC (not going mental with the OC) 

then I would say if you are worried about noise while staying cool if you can afford it go for noctua

The NHU14S is ticking my fancy for less than 50 pounds :P 

I honestly don't know too much about Noctua other then they are a great brand if that's within your price range then I say go for it.

Personally, I have an AiO h100i from corsair and it is fucking loud man, good thing I wear closed headphones most of the time, but now I'm hearing noises from time to time, so maybe I'll try buying some Noctua fans and replace the standard stuff to see if it helps. If it doesn't I'm buying a Noctua cooler, because I'm getting tired of this shit.

I honestly don't know too much about Noctua other then they are a great brand if that's within your price range then I say go for it.

I'll be spending a few hours looking at reviews tonight! :D 

Just now, Dylanc431 said:

I'll be spending a few hours looking at reviews tonight! :D 

I guess that sounds good, Good luck.

I guess that sounds good, Good luck.

Thank you :D 

Still open to suggestions from anyone too! :) 

4 minutes ago, Sack said:

Personally, I have an AiO h100i from corsair and it is fucking loud man, good thing I wear closed headphones most of the time, but now I'm hearing noises from time to time, so maybe I'll try buying some Noctua fans and replace the standard stuff to see if it helps. If it doesn't I'm buying a Noctua cooler, because I'm getting tired of this shit.

Or a better aio like the h115i

14 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

What's it like in terms of noise? I do have a sound dampened case but the computer sits on my desk pretty much beside my face 

Just ran a burn test for you, since I like you so much (winky face). In my windowed Fractal R5 it's basically a very dull hum... while keeping the CPU at 56 C. 

48 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

The 212 Evo is probably the most popular aftermarket cooler. It's a bit old and there are better coolers available now. It isn't particularly quiet but has been the standard for a value and decent performing cooler.

40 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

The NHU14S is ticking my fancy for less than 50 pounds :P 

I consider the NH-U14S to be the best cooler overall. It performs well, has a slim form factor, is very quiet, and has excellent and easy to use mounting hardware.

For less than 50 pounds, it's a great choice.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

Or a better aio like the h115i

Which is basically the same as what I have, with the same fans that are probably annoying me. No thank you, terrible advice.