GTX480 gets stuck on 2D clocks

GouStoulos

Hello bois.

So i have this gtx480, for about a year now. And it used to be fine. But for the last 3-4 months i have an issue. It will randomly get stuck on 2D clocks(405mhz, 968mvolt)!

Launching a game changes nothing. It will just run on low clocks, and of course low fps. The only way to fix it, is to restart my PC.

So i tried to reinstall the latest driver(used DDU to wipe the old driver), and i still have the same issue.

I also tried to install an older driver(368.81), and issue is still here. I removed the card, cleaned it and applied fresh thermal paste(MX4), and also checked my PSU with a multimeter. Everything seems to be fine, and i dont understand why this is happening.

Oh! And of course, i also tried to run it on stock clocks(OC 850Mhz, 1100mvolt). Still nothing. Hell i even tried run my CPU on stock clocks. Still nothing.

Its so weird because it happens randomly. It might not happen for 6hours straight, it might happen 10mins after i turn my PC on.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

ps. i forgot to say that the bios is the original by evga. i did NOT modify it.

its already overclocked at 850mhz(stock freq is 725mhz).

if you mean to oc when it gets stuck, i already have tried, and nothing happens. the clock just stays on 405mhz no matter what. increasing the voltage makes no change either