Do amd cards actually last longer?

So do they? Well...
Gpu aging is a combination of things which makes it complex, not a black or white issue. (Sorry it ended up quite a long post!).

1. AMD's GCN architecture is brute power, very high TFlops but difficult to extract peak performance, especially in DX11 which AMD is running crippled with single-threaded draw call submission. But overtime, there's opportunities for AMD to fine-tune drivers for each specific game to avoid being driver bound. You could say there's more room to grow for AMD GPUs, while NV's GPU are operating close to peak in DX11 already.

2. Console GCN. Optimizations by developers for GCN specific cache, wavefronts and shader efficiency carry through to the PC port. There's good presentations from Game Developers Conferences on this topic. It's going to continue due to PS4 Pro and Scorpio using GCN Polaris.

3. GCN architecture is iterated, evolution rather than revolution. The basic hierarchy remains constant, each SIMD has the same layout of ALUs (Vector and Scalar), each Compute Unit consists of the same layout of SIMDs. The result is that code that's optimized to run on GCN is nearly always (there's exceptions, differences in Tessellation & Async Compute) optimized for all GCN. Thus, the older GCN based cards like the 7970 and 290/X still powers through modern games.

4. DX12 &Vulkan allows developers closer access and importantly, rendering/draw calls can be multi-threaded (Async Compute is another bonus on top). This removes AMD's weakness of single-thread DX11. Thus, as more modern games use these new APIs, the better AMD GPU's look in comparison. Example, a 390X has similar compute performance as a 980Ti in Tflops, and it's only in these new API where AMD's GCN can really hit their peak. Hence, don't be surprised if some of these next-gen API games have AMD GCN cards punching above their weight (390X ~ 980Ti, Fury X ~ 1080 etc).

5. Usually more VRAM. Example, 7970 3GB vs GTX 680 2GB. There's games in recent times where the 2GB is a severe bottleneck and the 7970 3GB auto-wins, irrespective of #1-4. Likewise, 290/X 4GB vs 780/Ti 3GB. This is repeated recently with the 1060 3GB vs 470/480 4GB and 1060 6GB vs 480 8GB. Some posters falsely claimed that 3GB is enough for 1080p gaming but a recent review studying frame times find that to be utterly wrong. 3GB stutters in most modern games even on the 2nd highest settings (not maxed).

6. NV architectures evolve and also has revolutionary changes. Kepler -> Maxwell was a big leap, not only with the tile-based rasterization, but also the SMX layout, CUDA cores per SM went from 196 -> 128. This meant that games optimized for Maxwell's architecture would run un-optimized on Kepler, reducing much of it's shader utilization. It's why the 980, which on release, was only slightly above a 780TI, which was faster than a 970 by ~10%, but over time, we see the 780TI behind the 970 by ~10% or sometimes, even more.

7. Some folks have mentioned driver neglect from NV, that their "Game Ready" drivers only optimize non-legacy GPUs, ie, their latest & greatest. This is not gimping older stuff, that's a incorrect myth, it's more than NV focus optimizations on more recent stuff only.

All of these results in a potential for a big shift in performance over time. The 290X at the start of it's life was 10-15% behind a GTX 780Ti. These days it's very common to see it 10-15% ahead, with outliers much higher. If you read reviews over the years, you would have noticed the GTX 980 made the 290X (even custom models which run at ~390X performance) look like shit, often 20% lead. You would have noticed the 390X vs 980 situation is very different in recent times.

Before some of you accuse me of being an AMD fanboy, let me be clear. I am a fan of my money, it's important to me, how much value I can get out of my hard earned $. I have seen for myself since 2011, how well AMD GPUs aged in comparison with the NV GPUs that I've owned (GTX 670 and 780Ti) as I've multiple rigs for the family. It is this exact reason why I have an RX 480 now and will get Vega for the other rig, instead of going with Pascal.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

6 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

So do they? Well...
Gpu aging is a combination of things which makes it complex, not a black or white issue. (Sorry it ended up quite a long post!).

1. AMD's GCN architecture is brute power, very high TFlops but difficult to extract peak performance, especially in DX11 which AMD is running crippled with single-threaded draw call submission. But overtime, there's opportunities for AMD to fine-tune drivers for each specific game to avoid being driver bound. You could say there's more room to grow for AMD GPUs, while NV's GPU are operating close to peak in DX11 already.

2. Console GCN. Optimizations by developers for GCN specific cache, wavefronts and shader efficiency carry through to the PC port. There's good presentations from Game Developers Conferences on this topic. It's going to continue due to PS4 Pro and Scorpio using GCN Polaris.

3. GCN architecture is iterated, evolution rather than revolution. The basic hierarchy remains constant, each SIMD has the same layout of ALUs (Vector and Scalar), each Compute Unit consists of the same layout of SIMDs. The result is that code that's optimized to run on GCN is nearly always (there's exceptions, differences in Tessellation & Async Compute) optimized for all GCN. Thus, the older GCN based cards like the 7970 and 290/X still powers through modern games.

4. DX12 &Vulkan allows developers closer access and importantly, rendering/draw calls can be multi-threaded (Async Compute is another bonus on top). This removes AMD's weakness of single-thread DX11. Thus, as more modern games use these new APIs, the better AMD GPU's look in comparison. Example, a 390X has similar compute performance as a 980Ti in Tflops, and it's only in these new API where AMD's GCN can really hit their peak. Hence, don't be surprised if some of these next-gen API games have AMD GCN cards punching above their weight (390X ~ 980Ti, Fury X ~ 1080 etc).

5. Usually more VRAM. Example, 7970 3GB vs GTX 680 2GB. There's games in recent times where the 2GB is a severe bottleneck and the 7970 3GB auto-wins, irrespective of #1-4. Likewise, 290/X 4GB vs 780/Ti 3GB. This is repeated recently with the 1060 3GB vs 470/480 4GB and 1060 6GB vs 480 8GB. Some posters falsely claimed that 3GB is enough for 1080p gaming but a recent review studying frame times find that to be utterly wrong. 3GB stutters in most modern games even on the 2nd highest settings (not maxed).

6. NV architectures evolve and also has revolutionary changes. Kepler -> Maxwell was a big leap, not only with the tile-based rasterization, but also the SMX layout, CUDA cores per SM went from 196 -> 128. This meant that games optimized for Maxwell's architecture would run un-optimized on Kepler, reducing much of it's shader utilization. It's why the 980, which on release, was only slightly above a 780TI, which was faster than a 970 by ~10%, but over time, we see the 780TI behind the 970 by ~10% or sometimes, even more.

7. Some folks have mentioned driver neglect from NV, that their "Game Ready" drivers only optimize non-legacy GPUs, ie, their latest & greatest. This is not gimping older stuff, that's a incorrect myth, it's more than NV focus optimizations on more recent stuff only.

All of these results in a potential for a big shift in performance over time. The 290X at the start of it's life was 10-15% behind a GTX 780Ti. These days it's very common to see it 10-15% ahead, with outliers much higher. If you read reviews over the years, you would have noticed the GTX 980 made the 290X (even custom models which run at ~390X performance) look like shit, often 20% lead. You would have noticed the 390X vs 980 situation is very different in recent times.

Before some of you accuse me of being an AMD fanboy, let me be clear. I am a fan of my money, it's important to me, how much value I can get out of my hard earned $. I have seen for myself since 2011, how well AMD GPUs aged in comparison with the NV GPUs that I've owned (GTX 670 and 780Ti) as I've multiple rigs for the family. It is this exact reason why I have an RX 480 now and will get Vega for the other rig, instead of going with Pascal.

Invisible test, pls use Tx

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

As you said, your post is a long one, so I haven't read it yet. But I'd like to say first off that on behalf of everyone using the Night Theme, please use paste without formatting, otherwise you have to highlight the text to be able to read it. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Invisible test, pls use Tx

Also I can't even read the text since I use the black theme.. and I totally hate when people decide to use a dark colored font.

PS: @Nickathom both cards get older at the same time and both will last longer if you buy what's that moments' HIGH END.

An example: I bought a GT430 GDDR3 2GB 6 years ago and I used it since two months or three ago when I bought a 1050ti.

|| CPU: Intel i5-8600K || Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X || Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370 HD3P || GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti OC Windforce 4GB || Memory: 16GB Crucial DDR4 3000mhz || HDD: WD Black 500GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB || SSD: Samsung 980 1TB || PSU: Corsair VS550 || Case: nJoy Ice Cage || Fans: Segotep Halo Ring RGB ||Monitor: 2x Dell 27" P2717H IPS Full HD || Second Monitor/TV: LG 49UJ620V UHD || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Keyboard: Logitech G810 + Royal Kludge RK84 || Speakers: Philips SPA-5300 subw + Arylic 2.1 + DIY Bookshelves w/ Dayton Audio || Headphones: HyperX Cloud Flight S ||

TO BE UPGRADED:

>> Headphones << >> Keyboard << >> HDD << >> Mouse << >> PC Case << >> Memory(another stick) << >> Graphics Card << 

Try to use HD 5000 or 6000 and let me know what you think.

Oh wait, they stop driver support since 2015.

3 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Try to use HD 5000 or 6000 and let me know what you think.

Oh wait, they stop driver support since 2015.

and lets see the competition... oh... i see... 200 series... no thank you. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Dude don't set it to black...

Set it to auto, otherwise it's still hard to see.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

and lets see the competition... oh... i see... 200 series... no thank you. 

See, you already break your own theory.

at least 200 series still have driver till dec 2016, also proper windows 10 drivers support.

Also let's forget the 400 series even exist at all, sure that would make your point even better... not.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

See, you already break your own theory.

at least 200 series still have driver till dec 2016, also proper windows 10 drivers support.

Also let's forget the 400 series even exist at all, sure that would make your point even better... not.

thats not what i was saying. the 6000 series has aged well performance wise. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 hour ago, Nickathom said:

thats not what i was saying. the 6000 series has aged well performance wise. 

I thought this thread is all about AMD GPU Longevity.

Sure I'll give credits where it's due.

AMD had proper (at least for me) driver support only with GCN architecture because it's one architecture, and probably polaris as well.

But prior to that... meh.

it's even worse for people who bought enthusiast card such as HD 3890 HD 4890 HD 5990, and HD 6990 (not even considering the X2 card)

These cards released almost a year after official release and yet killed prematurely.

For me who owns HD 3000/4000/5000/6000 it's like dejavu every time  they announce news to stop driver support for their line up.

Point is, The GCN was all they've had and they bank on it hard.

Rehash, rebadge, rebrand.... it's like watching what nvidia does with their G92 chipset.

I'm not surprise if AMD drop support for pre-Polaris card when Vega drop in a few month. *knock on wood*

Also, give credit when you copy paste someone else opinion from interweb.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

It's probably a combination of GCN being ahead of its time and the fact Nvidia has been selling 256bit 80 class GPUs since 2012. If the GTX 680 was 384bit, like the HD7970, I'm pretty sure it would be holding up a lot better than what it is now.

Also, AMD is far more quick to drop support on older cards than Nvidia. The GTX400 series gpus are still getting driver updates, whereas the HD6000 series is not. I love how everyone who argues driver support in favor of AMD conveniently forgets this fact.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

I think amd has better driver improvements compared to nvdia

there cards launch below nvdia performance then after a year there 10 percent above, which is impressive.

but driver support no,

i still get driver updates on a laptop with a 420mx ffs not that they improve anything but I still get them 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933