FX 6300 stuck at 1.3 Ghz

Hi guys,

My friend has been having some problems recently with his pc.

We have formatted his pc and he says he gets 40-60 fps on low on overwatch which is really bad.

I would like to know why the CPU stays at 1.3 and does not boost at all?

If you guys can give any advise on how to fix the low fps, that would be amazing

His specs:

FX 6300

MSi 970 motherboard

GTX 760

8GB HyperX ram

3 TB of storage

Temps?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Temps?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Yup, TEMPS

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

Yup, TEMPS

2 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

Temps?

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Temps?

Ok, Ill report back once he has done everything

at 1,3ghz it's either throttle so hard because overheat

or it's getting downclocked.

go to bios, set default for everything, reboot and back to bios again to monitor the temp.

and start from there.

Just now, Blebekblebek said:

at 1,3ghz it's either throttle so hard because overheat

or it's getting downclocked.

go to bios, set default for everything, reboot and back to bios again to monitor the temp.

and start from there.

If he goes to bios the temp is 34c

3 minutes ago, CALBIX said:

What about when he starts gaming?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

He is busy testing

3 minutes ago, CALBIX said:

ingame temps? Though AMDs shouldnt throttle back unless they hit 90°C. Could also be an issue witht he BIOS, but we would like to get AIDA64 or ingame temps. On CPU-Z and HWmonitor you can see the real time clock speed at that exact moment

Just now, DocSwag said:

when his cpu is idle he gets 29c

Check to see if he needs to update his bios. 

(also never buy an fx processor again)

-Lukas

1000$ PC: CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.6ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3 RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb G1 gaming Storage: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm PSU: Corsair Vengeance 550m Case: NZXT S340 Black/Red Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ cherry mx browns Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310

5 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

ingame temps? Though AMDs shouldnt throttle back unless they hit 90°C. Could also be an issue witht he BIOS, but we would like to get AIDA64 or ingame temps. On CPU-Z and HWmonitor you can see the real time clock speed at that exact moment

They throttle A LOT faster when VRM/MOSFET temps are involved.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

1 minute ago, agent_x007 said:

well yea, you are right, the 970 chipset has a really bad power delivery compared to the 990 fx motherboards for the AM3+ cpus. Good chance that he doesnt any heatsinks on the VRMs, though as long as you dont overclock any of those motherboards should be able to run that CPU just fine i mean all the FX cpus eat at least 95W

Go to Bios and reset

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Tiwaz said:

well yea, you are right, the 970 chipset has a really bad power delivery compared to the 990 fx motherboards for the AM3+ cpus. Good chance that he doesnt any heatsinks on the VRMs, though as long as you dont overclock any of those motherboards should be able to run that CPU just fine i mean all the FX cpus eat at least 95W

Not really, there are AM3+ capable boards that don't support FX-6000 series because of bad VRM design (that's based on CPU Support pages).
Also, more than OC for those VRMs, actual Airflow in case is most important thing.
If he uses low RPM fan on tower-type cooler for CPU and a low RPM case fan at the back of it, airflow over VRM will be minimal (which may cause problems).

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

2 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

Not really, there are AM3+ capable boards that don't support FX-6000 series because of bad VRM design (that's based on CPU Support pages).
Also, more than OC for those VRMs, actual Airflow in case is most important thing.
If he uses low RPM fan on tower-type cooler for CPU and a low RPM case fan at the back of it, airflow over VRM will be minimal (which may cause problems).

since when do manufacturers expect that someone is going to run such a low performance cpu in anything but a small shitty case that came with a prebuilt system? :P

27 minutes ago, Fluffybakon said:

Check to see if he needs to update his bios. 

(also never buy an fx processor again)

-Lukas

25 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Why over complicate things?

See the FSB clock, Multiplier, etc

or try to set default bios first. Did you do that?

23 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

21 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

18 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Go to Bios and reset

15 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

12 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

since when do manufacturers expect that someone is going to run such a low performance cpu in anything but a small shitty case that came with a prebuilt system? :P

I shall try all of these and report back, he just dissapeard on discord so Ill tel him thx

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

yea but easily 99% of all 970 boards pretty much suck ass

23 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

yea but easily 99% of all 970 boards pretty much suck ass

1 hour ago, Strike105X said:

People need to understand that chipsets have nothing to do with power delivery in fact the Asus 970FX gaming aura has one of the best power delivery for FX cpu's and it uses the 970 chipset. There's motherboards with crappy power delivery and 990FX chipsets out there as well.

It looks like a problem with the power delivery from the motherboard, which MSI 970 motherboard are we talking about ? If its the Krait then there's no surprise, it has a horrible power delivery.

Ok lets say his CPU sits at 67c when gaming whats wrong then?

1 minute ago, CALBIX said:

Ok lets say his CPU sits at 67c when gaming whats wrong then?

67°C is good

Just now, Tiwaz said:

67°C is good

How do I test the power delivery? He is busy cleaning the GPU.

30 minutes ago, CALBIX said:

How do I test the power delivery? He is busy cleaning the GPU.

well instability is usually the result of insufficient power or overheating VRMs as far as I know. 

A questions...

1) WHICH "MSi 970 motherboard" is it?

MSi makes a lot of 970 chipset based motherboards, and a large portion of them have a weak VRM / power phase system (e.g. 3+1 or 4+1 with no heatsink cooling, or thermal protection).  To name a few...

• MSi 970A-G43
  • 970A-G46

They also have a few higher quality 970 boards as well, such as

• MSi 970 GAMING
  • MSi 970 Gaming Pro Carbon

Both with a 6+2 VRM system, heatsinks over the VRM for passive cooling, active VRM protection, multi-transistor configurations, etc.

2) Is you friend running games / programs on FULL SCREEN?

NOT Windowed Mode. NOT borderless.

FULL. SCREEN.

3) Is any other part of the system overheating?

Aside from the CPU, VRM / motherboard, what is the temperature of the GTX 760?

Does his computer case have adequate airflow?

=======================================================================

As already mentioned by somebody else, the motherboard chipset does not determine the VRM configuration of the motherboard. That said, out of the three 900 series chipsets available for socket AM3+, 970 is the budget oriented one (990FX, 990X, 970). For that reason, most 970 have lower quality VRM's to keep the costs down.

A 990FX chipset motherboard does not necessarily mean it WILL 100% have a good VRM system, and cooling.

Gigabyte GA-990FX-Gaming (launched in early 2016)

• Advertised as 10-phase (e.g. 8+2) VRM, but ACTUALLY uses PWM 'doublers', so not too much better than an ordinary 4+1.

AsRock 990FX Extreme3

• Sleazy 3+1 VRM with an extremely small heatsink...990FX and SB950 chipset heatsinks aren't much better, too. 

AsRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer (/3.1)

• Again, like the Gigabyte motherboard, it is advertised as a 8+2 VRM system, but 'doublers' are used. It is really a 4+1 phase controller with two built-in drivers handling a pair of MOSFETs.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>