FX 6300 stuck at 1.3 Ghz

7 hours ago, CALBIX said:

Ok lets say his CPU sits at 67c when gaming whats wrong then?

Is it only at 1.3 ghz when at 67C?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

11 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

ingame temps? Though AMDs shouldnt throttle back unless they hit 90°C. 

FX CPUs can't get past low 70s. At 90C his computer would be on fire (although it would have shut down before that).

11 hours ago, agent_x007 said:

They throttle A LOT faster when VRM/MOSFET temps are involved.

That could indeed be an alternative source of problems

9 hours ago, CALBIX said:

Ok lets say his CPU sits at 67c when gaming whats wrong then?

67C is high for package temps (the sensor inside the CPU), especially for gaming. 67 is what I get on a slightly overclocked 9370 during stress tests. If those are socket temps (the sensor in the motherboard), though, it is somewhat better. But if its package temps, then the socket will be even hotter - check those temps as well. A significantly hotter socket temp could indicate overheating VRMs.

Either way, tell him to monitor both temps in his tests

7 hours ago, Strike105X said:

You don't need to test it, either the CPU overheats and that's the issue that causes the throttle or the power delivery just can't keep up, if you clean the CPU the cooler, reset the bios to optimum defaults, apply new paste and it still throttles despite not even being used properly despite temps being low then its the VRM's.

I might add: if you have any spare fan, even a small one (like the stock heatsink fan), try attaching that to the VRM heatsink somehow to see if that helps.

9 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

also you can get cheap heatsinks on amazon for that

7 hours ago, Strike105X said:

And if your wondering about sockets and them being damaged, that also depends on the mobo, while for a lot of boards it is not recommended to go past 70c-75c for instance asus mid to high range sockets can handle things fine up to 85c.

It's not so much that the socket itself will get damaged, but that high socket temps (especially when much higher than core temps) might indicate very hot VRMs. I got the socekt vs core temp difference to decrease considerably on a different board by bringing the VRM temps from >90C to 75C max (a small fan did the trick).

As you said, 67C isn't in the throttling range, hence the problem could be a weakening of power delivery, potentially due to overheating VRMs ;) I just suggest he checks that so he can discard possibilities.

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

also you can get cheap heatsinks on amazon for that

The SLI Krait does have a heatsink, but sometimes it's necessary to push a bit of air to make sure it doesn't get stuck there.

Ok so I have the pc with me now.

The CPU temps are 10c on Idle but on load it only raises to 12c but its still stuck at 1.3Ghz

I went into the BIOS and restored it to default and the CPU is clocked to 3.5Ghz but as soon as I go back to Windows the clock just jumps back down to 1.3 Ghz and I have overclocked it to 4.1 just to try and force it but no luck.

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

Ah i see, you where considering a scenario where the CPU is pushed to its limits without VRM's being cooled, that's why you mentioned the fire hazard right ? My statement was centered with the idea that VRM's aren't a factor, or better said in an environment where VRM's aren't the ones overheating the socket, or the VRM's themselves being overheated.

Indeed totally agree, for some reason the idea of suggesting to add a fan for the VRM's alluded me, which is why i had quite a personal turmoil between rating the post with either "thumbs up" or "agree" :p.

Some of MSI's vrm's are so crappy that not even passive cooling can help it... 

Try adding a fan (if possible to both sides, if not at least to the front side of the VRM's) like SpaceGhost suggested, see if it helps like that, but even if it does help, i still suggest your that your friend starts saving for a new mobo because those VRM's are at the end of their life.

The VRM's are passively cooled by the system seeing that the fans are always on high LUL

13 minutes ago, CALBIX said:

Ok so I have the pc with me now.

The CPU temps are 10c on Idle but on load it only raises to 12c but its still stuck at 1.3Ghz

I went into the BIOS and restored it to default and the CPU is clocked to 3.5Ghz but as soon as I go back to Windows the clock just jumps back down to 1.3 Ghz and I have overclocked it to 4.1 just to try and force it but no luck.

Two comments about idle measurements:

1) the builtin sensor in FX chips doesn't measure temps in the sub-30s or so, so you can just ignore it for idle measurements.

2) The clock should be at 1.4GHz when idling if you didn't disable Cool'n'quiet, as that's the power saving state it goes to when idling. Try giving it some load and see if clocks jump up then.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

1) the builtin sensor in FX chips doesn't measure temps in the sub-30s or so, so you can just ignore it for idle measurements.

2) The clock should be at 1.4GHz when idling if you didn't disable Cool'n'quiet, as that's the power saving state it goes to when idling. Try giving it some load and see if clocks jump up then.

Ok I have disabled it, Im going to stress it now

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Its still stuck at 1.36Ghz is there a way I could force the cpu to run at 4Ghz?

2 minutes ago, CALBIX said:

Nothing other than finding the reason for it being stuck :P 

Is there any bloatware running, like any overclocking utility that came bundled with the motherboard and may be trying to apply an OC profile at startup?

Which program are you using to measure clocks, voltages, and temps? Which stress test are you running?

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Nothing other than finding the reason for it being stuck :P 

Is there any bloatware running, like any overclocking utility that came bundled with the motherboard and may be trying to apply an OC profile at startup?

Which program are you using to measure clocks, voltages, and temps? Which stress test are you running?

Im using CPU-Z and open hardware monitor

The CPU just stays at 1.36 Ghz even with a 4.0Ghz overclock its not moving

1 minute ago, CALBIX said:

Im using CPU-Z and open hardware monitor

Good, so you can see vcore, temps, and all 6 clocks in Open HWmonitor.

How are you stressing it?

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Good, so you can see vcore, temps, and all 6 clocks in Open HWmonitor.

How are you stressing it?

Is there any good stressing software, im using CPU z stress 

Just now, CALBIX said:

Is there any good stressing software, im using CPU z stress 

It won't load the CPU that much/for that long.

You can try OCCT, set it to run 10 minutes or so and see what happens with clocks, temps, and vcore there (you can use its own monitoring options or just keep OpenHWmonitor open while you run the test).

Be sure to check all of the variables: vcore, package temp, socket temp, and the 6 clocks while the test runs.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It won't load the CPU that much/for that long.

You can try OCCT, set it to run 10 minutes or so and see what happens with clocks, temps, and vcore there (you can use its own monitoring options or just keep OpenHWmonitor open while you run the test).

Be sure to check all of the variables: vcore, package temp, socket temp, and the 6 clocks while the test runs.

I found the problem, FFS, he is really a noob when it comes to pcs. Msi slow mode was enabled, i just flipped the switch, The CPU is running at 3.9 Ghz

1 minute ago, CALBIX said:

I found the problem, FFS, he is really a noob when it comes to pcs. Msi slow mode was enabled, i just flipped the switch, The CPU is running at 3.9 Ghz

It's not the first time I've seen that in this forum, I must remember to add "check for slow mode" to the default troubleshooting toolbox :P 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It's not the first time I've seen that in this forum, I must remember to add "check for slow mode" to the default troubleshooting toolbox :P 

I told him not to touch because I built him a very budget pc, but did we leave our stuff alone when we got our first pc?

3 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

MSI has a slow mode ? That i did not know thanks for the info...

No problem xD

1 hour ago, CALBIX said:

disable turbo boost or how its called on AMD and set an overclock at the stock 4ghz settings or hwat the cpu is supposed to run at