Does allowing FPS to go higher than display refresh rate increase fluidity in game?

adithyay328

Hello there! This is a question that I and my friends have been arguing about for months. My argument is that running FPS any higher than the monitor refresh rate DOESN'T help since the display won't even be able to output the extra frames. The argument of my friends is that the extra frames will change the frame output intervals, which makes the game look better. Please give a final answer with reasoning. Thanks for your time.

The game is more responsive to inputs but you won't notice any more fluidity on your monitor.

It can make it look worse due to screen tearing.

It will often make the game feel more responsive to your mouse movements though, especially with fps games.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

Hello there! This is a question that I and my friends have been arguing about for months. My argument is that running FPS any higher than the monitor refresh rate DOESN'T help since the display won't even be able to output the extra frames. The argument of my friends is that the extra frames will change the frame output intervals, which makes the game look better. Please give a final answer with reasoning. Thanks for your time.

It's something of an unresolved argument, it's hard to judge since it's very susceptible to placebo. Until someone does a double blind study with sufficient sample size, I won't come to any conclusions, but my expectation is that while the frame pacing things is a valid theoretical point I don't think it will be noticeable most of the time, and if it is it will be very minor. But I don't know, that's just my prediction.

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It's something of an unresolved argument, it's hard to judge since it's very susceptible to placebo. Until someone does a double blind study with sufficient sample size, I won't come to any conclusions, but my expectation is that while the frame pacing things is a valid theoretical point I don't think it will be noticeable most of the time, and if it is it will be very minor. But I don't know, that's just my prediction.

Why would it need to be a double blind test??

People have done single blind tests before, most people can notice a difference, depending on the game of course.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

People have done single blind tests before, most people can notice a difference, depending on the game of course.

Because people can unknowingly point out that one or the other is the higher or lower refresh rate/frame rate. That's why double-blind studies are used - to prevent issues like that from occurring.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Because people can unknowingly point out that one or the other is the higher or lower refresh rate/frame rate. That's why double-blind studies are used - to prevent issues like that from occurring.

You literally let someone enter the room, and they play on two computer, and then say which one they felt was smoother.

How would a double blind test benefit that?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I suppose if the subject never has contact with the test administrator until after the tests, then it wouldn't be necessary.

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You literally let someone enter the room, and they play on two computer, and then say which one they felt was smoother.

I guess it depends on how the test is set up, but again, it's about preventing issues. It may not benefit anyone to actually perform a double-blind study. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

51 minutes ago, adithyay328 said:

If i play cs go at 60 fps on my 60 hz i want to kill myself coz its so laggy but if i play at 400 fps at 60hz i acctuly see the diffrence its much smoother

-Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Specs

Spoiler

1080 strix

i7 7700k @ 4.5ghz

16 gb DDR4 ram

Corsair rm650x

Asus 270 P

240 gb ssd

1 tb hdd

NZXT Noctis 450

3x corsair hd120 fans

23 minutes ago, Enderman said:

By eliminating the possibility of accidental unconscious hints about which one is which through body language, eye movements, etc.

Are we talking about having Vsync on vs off, or about the fact that you have a much more powerful GPU?

As for the latter...

Wether you get screen tearing or not is probably from case to case... heck I've even had a game run at 700 FPS on my 60Hz monitors and notice no screen tearing despite having deactivated all Vsync in my whole PC... coil whine is another thing though...

Anyway, while you won't get more than 60 frames outputted on a 60Hz screen, that framerate is never constantly 60 FPS. No I don't mean that it may go down to 55 and then up to 75 etc, I more refer to those quick lag spikes that the framerate counter can't pickup, but that an external program can. This is referred to as frametimes (long story short), and is the reason why we've started to see in benchmarks things called 1% lows, 0.1% lows, and 97% percentile on LTT videos.

My point is, if you have a game at 60 FPS on a 60Hz screen, and you perhaps have 1% lows at 45 FPS, well then you'll notice those lag spikes (not instantly see them, but they'll affect the overall impression) - however if you instead have a game running at 90 FPS on a 60Hz monitor and get 1% lows at 60 FPS, then certainly the overall impression will feel more fluid.

As for Vsync on vs off, having it turned off will decrease latency since Vsync introduce more input lag, then you may or may not get screen tearing by turning it off...

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

I lived at 60hz forever, and now I splurged and bought a 144hz last year, I can promise you the responsiveness of even being in windows is MUCH more fluid. Also in games, it makes the game feel a bit more "realistic" movements feels alot more responsive. Now if you're talking about turning off v-sync with a 60hz monitor, you will get screen tearing which makes the game the polar opposite, makes it unbearable imo.