Overclocking Ryzen 1700 to 3.6GHz, does it make any sense ?

So im abit confused. As you know ryzen 1700 hits 3.7 on the default XFR feature. Does doing a 3.6Ghz is an overclock at all ? considering the xfr will reach even higher speed.

@moking01

An overclock is an all core overclock. XFR is single core boost. I'd suggest you do a 3.7GHz overclock as its very mild/safe. You can do a fixed OC with the CPU ratio or a more advanced one by following the guide in my signature.

I'm pretty sure XFR isn't constant so putting it to 3.6 would just be a 100% of the time speed.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, moking01 said:

Does doing a 3.6Ghz is an overclock at all ? considering the xfr will reach even higher speed.

Not really, why stop at 3.6?  3.7Ghz is one of the easier OC's to hit

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

it would actually. All cores at 3.6 is better than 1 at 3.7 unless the application is purely single threaded.

That makes alot of sense

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Not really, why stop at 3.6?  3.7Ghz is one of the easier OC's to hit

I tried 3.7 at 1.200V and it crashed after 20 mins on Prime95 torture test

Just now, moking01 said:

Give it more voltage then

7 minutes ago, moking01 said:

That makes alot of sense

If it took 20 minutes to crash then you are probably close to the stable voltage. Try increasing in increments of 0.01V.

And what temps are safe for Ryzen ? My PC is almost up all day gaming or general usage. My ambient air temp is 34C.

13 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

1.2V is very very low. Ryzen is ok up to 1.45V daily use. Up that to 1.25V

I'm running 1.5V daily under load @ 4.025GHz, render stable.

3 minutes ago, moking01 said:

And what temps are safe for Ryzen ? My PC is almost up all day gaming or general usage. My ambient air temp is 34C.

80*C is getting really hot.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, ONOTech said:

Stable yeah, but I wouldn't call that safe for daily use. Plus you don't see any real performance difference between 3.9 and 4.1.

i respectfully disagree. 200MHz x 8 cores is significant. besides, if it lasts 5 years instead of 10, i'm OK with that.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I think ill just stick to 3.7ghz at 1.250V and ill see how it does with Prime95, will update this thread laters for whoever's gonna see it. 

2 minutes ago, moking01 said:

I think ill just stick to 3.7ghz at 1.250V and ill see how it does with Prime95, will update this thread laters for whoever's gonna see it. 

you gonna be crunching a bunch of prime numbers? Fold@home? or is this a gaming machine?

System specs:

Its my gaming machine but i also do some content creation on it as well

1 hour ago, moking01 said:

Its my gaming machine but i also do some content creation on it as well

So why are you testing stability with prime numbers if you're not going to be doing prime numbers? If content creation is your thing, Real Bench stress test is what you should be using. It is structured around the things you will be doing the most.

System specs:

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I'm running 1.5V daily under load @ 4.025GHz, render stable.

80*C is getting really hot.

I like your style bud!!    Don't be scurred.  :D

44 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

So why are you testing stability with prime numbers if you're not going to be doing prime numbers? If content creation is your thing, Real Bench stress test is what you should be using. It is structured around the things you will be doing the most.

The Asus software ?

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I like your style bud!!    Don't be scurred.  :D

1.5v is a quality voltage, nothing to be scurred of there :D. Now, if he was to change that to 1.6v I'd be shaking in my boots :o

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Just now, Masada02 said:

1.5v is a quality voltage, nothing to be scurred of there :D. Now, if he was to change that to 1.6v I'd be shaking in my boots :o

I'd say that applies to red or blue.  :(

12 minutes ago, moking01 said:

The Asus software ?

eyeah...

System specs:

11 minutes ago, Masada02 said:

well it is closer to 1.55 when it's really chomping away, but i'm at the point where IDGAF. I'll just buy another $300 CPU.

System specs:

Just now, knightslugger said:

well it is closer to 1.55 when it's really chomping away, but i'm at the point where IDGAF. I'll just buy another $300 CPU.

That's the spirit! Drive 'er 'till she blows!

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C