Cooling an Intel 7700K

I want to upgrade my cooler and keep chill my intel 7700K, last week I tried out small FFTS with Prime95 and reach 80°-82° within 10 seconds, and I stoped trying to prevent damaging my chip, currently I'm using a NH-D9L with two fans at 100% all the time, my chip is running turbo not OC and my case is an H440 with the stock fans.

I was thinking on using an Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate and replace the fans with Noctua industrial ones, I don't now what you guys think about, I'm open to any suggestion.

de-lid.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

de-lid.

I think you're right, my temps on my not delidded 7700K is quite high (I think so at least) on my H100i V2, then again, my fans are turned all the way down.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

2 minutes ago, ragrr4 said:

I want to upgrade my cooler and keep chill my intel 7700K, last week I tried out small FFTS with Prime95 and reach 80°-82° within 10 seconds, and I stoped trying to prevent damaging my chip, currently I'm using a NH-D9L with two fans at 100% all the time, my chip is running turbo not OC and my case is an H440 with the stock fans.

I was thinking on using an Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate and replace the fans with Noctua industrial ones, I don't now what you guys think about, I'm open to any suggestion.

I know (allegedly) for whatever reason, the 7700k (again allegedly according to Intel[I'm not saying they actually did say this]) should not be overclocked due to overheating.

Now that we've said that, the cooler in question is a really good one, and probably a bit overkill(though you won't catch me saying that's a bad thing).

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

de-lid.

no. I would not advise, especially if they don't know what they are doing, and don't feel like taking the chance of having to go out and buy a whole new cpu if they fuck up

9 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

no. I would not advise, especially if they don't know what they are doing, and don't feel like taking the chance of having to go out and buy a whole new cpu if they fuck up

no one know what they are doing the first time. i didn't know what i was doing, bought the Rockit tool, watched a ton of vids on youtube, read this forum, and it was insanely successful. a full 20*C drop in temps.

if you have the tool, you cannot screw it up.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

i didn't know what i was doing, bought the Rockit tool, watched a ton of vids on youtube, read this forum, and it was insanely successful. a full 20*C drop in temps.

if you have the tool, you cannot screw it up.

I'd be willing to bet I could, but I'm not willing to spend the money to prove you wrong.

5 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

I'd be willing to bet I could, but I'm not willing to spend the money to prove you wrong.

if you can follow directions, you can de-lid a Skylake/kabylake

to be honest, i've only done mine, and now i have the tool just sitting here, doing nothing, collecting dust. as well as close to 20 hits of CLU left.

System specs:

if you can follow directions, you can de-lid a Skylake/kabylake

I would still be willing to bet those directions aren't stupid proof. I have to interact with enough people who are to not have an idea as to how they think.

I had no idea what I was doing first time and I delidded my i7-4790K with hammer and vice! Dropped 15C temps and made the core temps in a closer grouping too.

Those delid tools that are around these days make it practically foolproof!

I definitely recommend delidding.

Just get a water cooler.  Not worth the risk to delid, IMO.  Also, if you delid, you will likely never be able to sell the chip when you next decide to upgrade.

Intel's advice for this problem is to not overclock.  Lol.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

4 minutes ago, Kommanche said:

hammer and vice

savage.

System specs:

35 minutes ago, ragrr4 said:

That Noctua idea is incredible, but watch out for those noise

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

7 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Just get a water cooler.  Not worth the risk to delid, IMO.  Also, if you delid, you will likely never be able to sell the chip when you next decide to upgrade.

Intel's advice for this problem is to not overclock.  Lol.

Eurgh, an AIO CLC will help but if the TIM is the issue then it'll be really loud, as the motherboard will detect high core temps and the fans will really spin up.

Delidding is very low risk, cheaper and will give a better drop in temps. When you come to sell the chip, you can leave it in the board with the lid clamped closed.

if the AIO fans are linked to CPU temp, ur doin' it rong.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, Kommanche said:

Eurgh, an AIO CLC will help but if the TIM is the issue then it'll be really loud, as the motherboard will detect high core temps and the fans will really spin up.

Delidding is very low risk, cheaper and will give a better drop in temps. When you come to sell the chip, you can leave it in the board with the lid clamped closed.

Yes, I suppose that is a good point.  So is the idea with delidding just to replace the TIM and put the lid back on?  or do people put the cooler directly on the chip (leave the lid off)??  I've never done it.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Seriously fuck de-lidding, I fucked a memory controller on a 3770k delidding, I thought it was totally screwed as it wouldn't post after wards, turned out it worked with both sticks on channel A (single channel) Still managed to sell for a decent price when upgraded to a 4790k (yes I was honest and the guy picked it up around £30 cheaper than others).

Not worth the risk in my opinion, make a custom loop, will cool better, you can use it upgrades and won't cost too much more than a new CPU if you fuck it by delidding it ! :D

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

7 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Yes, I suppose that is a good point.  So is the idea with delidding just to replace the TIM and put the lid back on?  or do people put the cooler directly on the chip (leave the lid off)??  I've never done it.

You can get CPU blocks and mounting kits designed to fit on delidded CPU's, but there's always a risk of crushing the die. Generally the purpose is to replace the shitty tim that intel uses with something a little better, I think there's like a liquid metal that's best to use, although i'm not 100% sure as its like 4 years since I delidded the 3770K 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

11 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

You can get CPU blocks and mounting kits designed to fit on delidded CPU's, but there's always a risk of crushing the die. Generally the purpose is to replace the shitty tim that intel uses with something a little better, I think there's like a liquid metal that's best to use, although i'm not 100% sure as its like 4 years since I delidded the 3770K 

Seriously though, why the fuck doesn't Intel use a proper TIM!?!?  is the savings of $0.15 worth of TIM really going to affect their bottom line??  FFS.

PC Build

Desk Build

4 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

Seriously though, why the fuck doesn't Intel use a proper TIM!?!?  is the savings of $0.15 worth of TIM really going to affect their bottom line??  FFS.

Might because of this :

intel only uses one TIM accross all their mainstream SKU's . That includes the k sku's , the locked i3's , i5's , pentium etc .

Therefor ,  intel goes with TIM featuring the best relaibility and longetivity , not necessarily the most efficient one.

Enthusiasts don't mind reapplying paste every year or two , but many people can't .

That's the offical version anyway.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

25 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

That is the basic idea.

The more successful among us use the CoolLabratory Ultra TIM which is Gallium based as the replacer.

You pop the IHS off with the tool, clean up the black glue left behind, tape off a mask so that just the die itself is left exposed, apply the new TIM (sparingly) to the die, remove the tape, clean the top and bottom of the IHS with Isopropyl Alcohol, place the IHS back on the die just like it came off using the reattachment tool, and apply small beads of krazy glue or some other high temp stable adhesive to the corners of the IHS and let it dry/cure as recommended by the manufacture. Reinstall the CPU as normal and away you go.

System specs:

33 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I fucked a memory controller on a 3770k delidding

what was your method?

System specs:

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

what was your method?

not the vice haha

Ryzen Ram Guide

Get a new one from intel

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

On 5/25/2017 at 4:28 PM, CostcoSamples said:

It's not the TIM that's the issue. The TIM has been tested and is actually quite good. The black adhesive that Intel uses to affix to IHS to the PCB is the issue. It causes the distance between the die and the IHS to be quite large and they need to use a lot of TIM to fill this gap. That reduces thermal conductivity. By delidding, you remove the glue entirely, and reduce the distance between the die and IHS, and by using a liquid metal TIM, you improve the thermal conductivity even more.

On 5/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, stealth80 said:

not the vice haha

I'm assuming you used a razor blade then and damaged the PCB traces. Hammer and vice method is safer than that, and using a delidding tool is safer still.