Surveillance server Os???

I have a pretty good server. I want to set up a home Surveillance and security system. I have no idea where to start as far as os goes. I want to get a few IP cams and be able to set them up to record to the server. I would like to maybe be able to add some IOT door alarms in the future but my main concern, for now, is a server to record video to. Long story short what OS solution would people recommend? 

EDIT:

It has been pointed out that what I really need is software so yeah...

lol

Edited by TheComputerdude
I am dumb

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Milestone is free for up to 8 cameras, very good software.

Looking further into that Milestone free thingy, it doesn't seem to record to network storage. I assume that's basically all recording? Because, coming from a programming and scripting background, it is odd that they would disable such a feature. Especially since the 'only local' recording can be evaded by pointing the recording location to a sym-/hard-link that leads to your records share.

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

37 minutes ago, leadeater said:

yeah that is wierd does it let you record to local storage??? 

thnx

39 minutes ago, TheComputerdude said:

yeah that is wierd does it let you record to local storage??? 

thnx

Yep.

55 minutes ago, MrKickkiller said:

Looking further into that Milestone free thingy, it doesn't seem to record to network storage. I assume that's basically all recording? Because, coming from a programming and scripting background, it is odd that they would disable such a feature. Especially since the 'only local' recording can be evaded by pointing the recording location to a sym-/hard-link that leads to your records share.

Milestone is usually deployed on a dedicated server with storage. If you want to use remote storage the best option to do that is iSCSI which I've done with Milestone before.

most surveillance software requires windows server or a linux server distro and won't work on consumer versions

our work has a dedicated box from our surveillance providers and runs a customised linux distro designed for their use

some only work on windows server, some are an OS (common on surveillance providers hardware), and some only work with custom hardware and requires their proprietary software and drivers to get it to work at all.

what @leadeater suggested, Milestone, is great for small business and homes, but for larger ones, you have to pay a fee (monthly or upfront) to use the software and hardware

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

1 hour ago, samiscool51 said:

what @leadeater suggested, Milestone, is great for small business and homes, but for larger ones, you have to pay a fee (monthly or upfront) to use the software and hardware

No different to any other product in the market though.

Milestone is a market leader in surveillance solutions and we have hundreds of cameras feeding in to dedicated HP servers for it.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Yeah, milestone is the beez kneez. Except your looking at some serious dollarydoos if you need to deploy across a number of remote sites. I remember pitching it our execs.. as soon as they saw the price they decided to keep the current 'adhoc' system.

28 minutes ago, Blake said:

Yeah, milestone is the beez kneez. Except your looking at some serious dollarydoos if you need to deploy across a number of remote sites. I remember pitching it our execs.. as soon as they saw the price they decided to keep the current 'adhoc' system.

We've got a nice shiny site license/all we can eat license, no idea how much it costs though.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

No different to any other product in the market though.

true, unless your server hardware is complete s**t and can't handle one stream to a client

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!