Help With Selling Server Racks

Good day.

Recently a colleague of mine told me that he's looking to sell some server racks. He has around 40-60 that he was previously using for his company, and he wants my help to try and sell them. He said he's looking to sell them as quick as possible as he is in need of the money.

So which is the best way to sell a bulk amount of server racks as quick as possible? Could I perhaps sell them all to a manufacturer or such?

They are full-sized server racks that he bought for around $1000 each several years ago, and he's now looking to sell them for $500 or more.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, EdwardIIV said:

Good day.

Recently a colleague of mine told me that he's looking to sell some server racks. He has around 40-60 that he was previously using for his company, and he wants my help to try and sell them. He said he's looking to sell them as quick as possible as he is in need of the money.

So which is the best way to sell a bulk amount of server racks as quick as possible? Could I perhaps sell them all to a manufacturer or such?

They are full-sized server racks that he bought for around $1000 each several years ago, and he's now looking to sell them for $500 or more.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ebay definetly.

People are looking for cheap servers, so maybe they'll also find your offer.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

The best options will likely be:

• eWaste computer recycling company
  • Scrap metal company
  • ebay, if listed at a low enough price

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The best options will likely be:

• eWaste computer recycling company
  • Scrap metal company
  • ebay, if listed at a low enough price

To add. 500 is a dream. Not many people want full size racks. 

Look at surplus stores to see how much there going for. It's about 200 im my area for a used full size. 

the only time i have seen racks selling on my used market has been when they are $1000 racks going for $50. people dont really want them. i would probably use ebay to get rid of them though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

$500 is relatively cheap where I'm living (different currency so yea).

Ebay is a consideration, but I was wondering if some companies would actually be looking to buy these in bulk? Doesn't seem like it from your replies.

I'll check Ebay, any more suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

$500 is relatively cheap where I'm living (different currency so yea).

Ebay is a consideration, but I was wondering if some companies would actually be looking to buy these in bulk? Doesn't seem like it from your replies.

I'll check Ebay, any more suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

Scrap metal place would probably be the only one that would take them all in one go like that but you wont get a lot for them compared to someone actually looking for racks.

Most companies are virtualizing and thus reducing their IT footprint. Majority of used racks go to IT enthusiasts. On the east coast, USA you get them anywhere from $100 to free. Hell I've been having a hard time to give my full size rack away... bought a half rack and don't want the full size one anymore.

Maybe call up some local colocation centers in your area, since they're usually expanding they could possibly use some racks.

if he wants to get rid of them cheap the only way to do this is a low price, 500$ is a dream.

Companies that need so many servers that they could need these server racks will go for different possibly custom option while everyone else only needs small numbers.

Got it guys, $500 isn't really possible, but once again, I'm not talking about the US here.

Anywho, I'll either be looking at Ebay or just telling him about scrap metal companies. Other than that, he could keep them on hold until perhaps he can find a company that needs a large amount of server racks.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

On 5/28/2017 at 3:18 PM, EdwardIIV said:

Got it guys, $500 isn't really possible, but once again, I'm not talking about the US here.

Anywho, I'll either be looking at Ebay or just telling him about scrap metal companies. Other than that, he could keep them on hold until perhaps he can find a company that needs a large amount of server racks.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Companies that need 40-60 server racks normally get them thrown in for free.... just saying.