"Is Your Game Crap? This Fan Will Fix It for You"

TopWargamer

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/deadly-premonition-pc-durante/

When Rising Star Games released Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut for the PC last month, the port of the Twin Peaks-esque cult favorite horror game had some serious issues. Chief among them was the fact that the game’s resolution was, highly atypically for a PC game, locked to 720p.

The outcry was immediate and vocal.

“Face palm through my skull,” said one poster on the NeoGAF message board. “Damnit,” said another.

But in spite of their outrage, many users expressed hope for a savior to come to their aid. “You on it, Durante?” asked one user. Like a Batsignal, the call was out.

The answer came less than an hour later. “I should be able to fix this.”

The post came from Peter Thoman, better known by the handle Durante. A 29-year-old from Austria with a Ph.D. in computer science, Thoman first gained online notoriety in 2012 when he fixed a similar resolution issue with Namco Bandai’s PC port of its role-playing game Dark Souls. With Deadly Premonition’s PC version looking like a similar hackjob, players hoped Durante would do what the game’s publisher would not.

Sure enough, within 24 hours of the game’s release on Steam, Thoman had uploaded “DPfix 0.1 alpha,” a patch that allowed Deadly Premonition players to manually adjust the game’s resolution. Thoman tells WIRED that his process involves intercepting and logging the graphic rendering calls between the game and DirectX, then locating and adjusting the resolution buffer. In layman’s terms, he reverse-engineers from the graphical output, rather than the game’s source code, a way to adjust the resolution, wrapping up the fix into a convenient zip file.

When companies can't get it right, it's good to see members from the various places of the Internet tackle the challenge to fix a game...or an aspect of a game. We need a lot more people like him, because quite frankly, a lot of game companies now a days are so focused on pushing their game out the door and they do the polishing after the fact, and a patch may come weeks or even months later. So Mr. Peter "Durante" Thoman, keep up the great work.

Oh, and this is very relevant. EA needs to take some lessons in the polishing of video games.

10954855704_6a0a046896_o.png

COMIC SANS

Then you get kicked by Punkbuster, or possibly banned by EA (Looking at you, BF3 blue tint)

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Publishers really shouldn't lock stuff... * cough cough * Need For Speed Rivals PC Port * cough cough* EA * cough *

System: CPU: 4670k | Mobo: Gigabyte Z87MX D3H | RAM: 8gb 1600Mhz | Case:Corsair 350D | PSU: Corsair CX430, to be upgraded soon | GPU: HD4600, to be upgraded soon

Dogecoin: D787N1VP3JaK3wmKehWhqGXBvspZpQ4YFV

i typed  deadly premonition gameplay

and all i read was how bad this game is .....

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i typed deadly premonition gameplay

and all i read was how bad this game is .....

Never mind, I was thinking of another game.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

6796034_700b_v1.jpg

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Then you get kicked by Punkbuster, or possibly banned by EA (Looking at you, BF3 blue tint)

Yea, I sold my BF3 to friend because my eyes were bleeding from that tint.

I wish the gaming community would stop making such a fuss about minor issues like this, and start making a fuss about companies releasing nerfed products. There is reason why the AMD 7970 should be preforming worse that a R9 280, or a GTX 670 should not be worse than a GTX 760. That's a bigger issue than locked down resolution. It could be argued that I am talking about two different topics, but day one dlc is an example of nerfed product releases. Locked resolutions, for the most part, insure smoother FPS. This does not justify locking res, but it is a reason why people would want to do it. Also 720p is a great middle ground for that. 

I wish the gaming community would stop making such a fuss about minor issues like this, and start making a fuss about companies releasing nerfed products. There is reason why the AMD 7970 should be preforming worse that a R9 280, or a GTX 670 should not be worse than a GTX 760. That's a bigger issue than locked down resolution. It could be argued that I am talking about two different topics, but day one dlc is an example of nerfed product releases. Locked resolutions, for the most part, insure smoother FPS. This does not justify locking res, but it is a reason why people would want to do it. Also 720p is a great middle ground for that. 

You do realize that a 670 will outperform a 760 right? It only looks that way because the 670 ships with an abysmally low 915MHz stock frequency. 

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

• 1 month later...

You do realize that a 670 will outperform a 760 right? It only looks that way because the 670 ships with an abysmally low 915MHz stock frequency. 

They are the same GPU...