How do kids not know anything else other than WiFi ?

UglyDuckiling
13 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

I dont fucking know. I go to high school and I literally know only two kids who know how to build/use computers properly. Its astonishing really, as computers are becoming more and more a part of our daily lives.

Yeah me and my friend are the only kids in our grade that know how to build a PC and their is at least 200 of us and I fool around with the PC's at my school I try making them BSOD for fun (never works)

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

8 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

This is unfair, these are actual kids, the people i showed have grown up in the early 2000's where internet was still in it's infancy up until around 2006 i would say.

OMg this video is so cringe "wifi is electricity" -kid 

This is like those videos where they make fun of Americans for not knowing geography or history. Can you operate a WW2 era artillery computer? Even better can you operate a Napoleon era artillery computer? 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

This is like those videos where they make fun of Americans for not knowing geography or history. Can you operate a WW2 era artillery computer? Even better can you operate a Napoleon era artillery computer? 

Napoleon? computers?

WW2 did not have computers either, if you wished to operate a tank, a German tank at least you used valve handles.

British Artillery still use howitzers which is all manual labour.

So your point? moot at best.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Indeed, and this is evidence that in just 20 years we are far too reliant on computers, so much so we even do not need an education system.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

Just now, theninja35 said:

I would just like to say: everything that the current generation knows and does was because we were taught by our parents who were in the generation before us. I would not say that everything we do is 100% our own fault...

So people born in early 2000's to parents assumed to be born in early 80's - late 80's.. all have no clue about computers?

I taught my dad all about computers not the other way round, all i'm saying, my dad was born in 1960.

1 minute ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Indeed, and this is evidence that in just 20 years we are far too reliant on computers, so much so we even do not need an education system.

Computers do exist back then, just not the electronic circuit boards we see today. It's all mechanical.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, UglyDuckiling said:

I haven't watched the full hour episode and I'm sure you haven't either, but what makes you think computers have replaced the entire education system? You're just spewing crap now.

Just now, UglyDuckiling said:

So people born in early 2000's to parents assumed to be born in early 80's - late 80's.. all have no clue about computers?

I taught my dad all about computers not the other way round, all i'm saying, my dad was born in 1960.

That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that most of what we know is because our parents taught us something (or didn't) and then we developed it for ourselves. This is NOT something new to our generation, this has been going on since humans first roamed the Earth.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Computers do exist back then, just not the electronic circuit boards we see today. It's all mechanical.

Yeah but the point being valve handles are not computers.

Traditional sense is electronic.

I haven't watched the full hour episode and I'm sure you haven't either, but what makes you think computers have replaced the entire education system? You're just spewing crap now.

That's not what I said at all. I'm saying that most of what we know is because our parents taught us something (or didn't) and then we developed it for ourselves. This is NOT something new to our generation, this has been going on since humans first roamed the Earth.

Hmm being born on July 15th, sarcasm should be your forte even the slightest amount.

My dad is old school, he had astrology taught in school even... lol

My OP with the video shows people who should know... clearly knowing very little to nothing.

hence the sarcastic reply :D

Hmm being born on July 15th, sarcasm should be your forte even the slightest amount.

My dad is old school, he had astrology taught in school even... lol

My OP with the video shows people who should know... clearly knowing very little to nothing.

hence the sarcastic reply

Sarcasm doesn't transfer over text, but I'm sure you already knew that.

But I don't understand what you're saying anymore, it feels like you're trying to discuss three different topics with me.

4 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Yeah but the point being valve handles are not computers.

Traditional sense is electronic.

That's what the modern humans think.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Sarcasm doesn't transfer over text, but I'm sure you already knew that.

But I don't understand what you're saying anymore, it feels like you're trying to discuss three different topics with me.

Just remember what was posted in my OP, the rest is just discussion, it's not that hard to keep up with.

Like a person did point out we had computers before the modern computer, but to us traditionally a computer is an electronic device, the word computer is not stuck to those terms as a meaning quite obviously.

Just now, NumLock21 said:

That's what the modern humans think.

Well at least we know where to put our things in the right holes.. lol

11 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Napoleon? computers?

WW2 did not have computers either, if you wished to operate a tank, a German tank at least you used valve handles.

British Artillery still use howitzers which is all manual labour.

So your point? moot at best.

You should pay a visit to Wikipedia and learn about what a computer is 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_computer

if there were no computers in ww2 then why did one of relatives spend the entire war on mototapu island working in the computer room of the artillery placement? They did have machines called computers but they maybe above your level of comprehension because you needed a university degree in mathematics to operate. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

31 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

loool..was born in '87, shall I get the rocking chairs? We can sit next to old man Linus! :D

'86 here so NOPE :ph34r:

Let's agree to disagree

You should pay a visit to Wikipedia and learn about what a computer is 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_computer

if there were no computers in ww2 then why did one of relatives spend the entire war on mototapu island working in the computer room of the artillery placement? They did have machines called computers but they maybe above your level of comprehension because you needed a university degree in mathematics to operate. 

Wow so we have gone from a bit of fun and some low end digging about not knowing what an ethernet port or a modem is to a shit slinging match all because you seem to have an inferiority complex?

And i am the one lacking comprehension when all you did was use Wiki.

Calm down.

Always some who takes things too far and even personally.

36 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

THIS is one of my favorite articles. its talks about how despite kids growing up with computers and technology, they know literally nothing about it.

Nice Read!

Thanks for sharing.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Wow so we have gone from a bit of fun and some low end digging about not knowing what an ethernet port or a modem is to a shit slinging match all because you seem to have an inferiority complex?

And i am the one lacking comprehension when all you did was use Wiki.

Calm down.

I telling what I learnt during my undergraduate degree. Wikipedia just happens to have an article on it. You said my point was moot. My point is you can go back to any where in the last 300 years and kids will not be able to operate a computer. I'd hardly call that moot.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

5 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I telling what I learnt during my undergraduate degree. Wikipedia just happens to have an article on it. You said my point was moot. My point is you can go back to any where in the last 300 years and kids will not be able to operate a computer. I'd hardly call that moot.

Because in 1835, operating a computer was not only impossible since they didn't exist yet since like 99% of people couldn't access them / were not human computers (you said people needed a university degree in math to use them, so it wasn't a thing that normal people ever encountered), but also not neccecary for normal life.

today, where computers are literally needed for school, work, and leisure. (have you met anyone in the past year who didn't have a smartphone rhetorical question shut up), it's a basic human skill to know at least what wifi is, how to diagnose super-simple issues (try rebooting at least.... holy shit) and have at least a basic understanding of what wifi is, even if that understanding is just as basic as:

there's a router which outputs wifi, if you connect to that wifi, you can connect to the router. the router is connected to the internet, so by extension you are also connected to the internet. that's why when you are connected to wifi, you can browse the internet.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I have a masters degree in psychology, just because i have paper behind me recognising my merits, it does not mean i need to bring you down, because i could, i know a lot of the behind the scenes workings of people, through experience.

Just saying, don't use ego in a topic not asking for it.

The people in the OP should know more about what they use since it is such an integral part of their lives every day apparently by what they said.

But then again, it's human choice to do so, i do not think we should all do that, but it's beneficial to be taught or self taught on multiple things, keeps things very efficient when you can trouble shoot your own stuff even to a basic level.

Not after a war, opinions can and will clash though :)

1 hour ago, UglyDuckiling said:

How do these people have no sense of history with technology yet they are using it?

Are they never taught?

1. they don't give a s**t about tech, only that it allows them to do things (thats why so many teens have an iPhone, so many parents are prob broke because they bought one for their teen because they "need" one), it's sad to see kids not interested on how computers evolved, i wasn't like that as a child, i wanted to learn how computers worked and what were they like earlier...

2. school's are starting to use educational computers (raspberry pi) to teach kids how computers work, hopefully latter generations will appreciate technology and how it works

when i get (or have) a kid with sam, i will be teaching it how computers work at a early age so it sticks (and things like math and spelling so it can do better in school(so it doesn't turn out like me, unable to spell most words and unable to do some maths equations))

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!