How do kids not know anything else other than WiFi ?

UglyDuckiling
3 minutes ago, samiscool51 said:

1. they don't give a s**t about tech, only that it allows them to do things (thats why so many teens have an iPhone, so many parents are prob broke because they bought one for their teen because they "need" one), it's sad to see kids not interested on how computers evolved, i wasn't like that as a child, i wanted to learn how computers worked and what were they like earlier...

2. school's are starting to use educational computers (raspberry pi) to teach kids how computers work, hopefully latter generations will appreciate technology and how it works

when i get (or have) a kid with sam, i will be teaching it how computers work at a early age so it sticks (and things like math and spelling so it can do better in school(so it doesn't turn out like me, unable to spell most words and unable to do some maths equations))

They can do this on a larger scale, honestly there is laziness on both ends, people with insight and knowledge on computers hold their knowledge with pride and sometimes hold an egotistical approach too, we could have programs aired on TV for this, an entire channel even dedicated to it, and those interested, those perplexed yet intrigued by it, will gain something from it.

But there is a whole lot of needing recognition for our own work that get's in the way of this, money is number 1.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

If anyone does what i said above, i want 25% of the shares and recognition, thank you, i do not give away entrepreneurial information for free :D

See my point?

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

Just now, UglyDuckiling said:

(bump)

the bigest problem with this is kids getting a mac

so many office's use windows as the main OS so they can control what the system remotely and stuff like that

because that gen has nevered used windows, they will be confused and will try their hardest to get a mac for their work

this is happening more and more, we just had about 12 new employees (teens), and they all went up to me and said:

Teens (imanage a hormonal teen voice): uhh sir? we want macs for our work computers...

(i turn around) me (annoyed): first off, i'm a girl. second, no you will not be getting macs, because 1 they don't work with our systems and thats something i don't want to work with, 2 i hate the damn things, so put up with your windows system, if you want help get windows 10 for dummies, that will teach you how to use a REAL computer. not a mac, because they aren't computers, just overpriced systems that doesn't work after 2 years because apple wants you to buy their hardware as much as you can.

was i harsh? yes, but i had a bad day that day and really didn't want to deal with something like that...

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

11 hours ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Oh, i never was shoved with it, i learnt it all off my own back from my teens upwards.

Only my father got me into gaming around age 5 in 90's.

I was never taught by anyone, but then again i find interest in a lot of areas other than technology.

Everyone else seems lazy is all... at least have some knowledge about what you are using.

fam it'was a joke referencing how we seem to be few and far between when it comes to NOT being retarded fuckwits with PCs because we grew up on that good ish. ;)

Hell IIRC my dad has either an early Pentium or later 486 machine at granny's house with like a 2GB hard drive which was a massive option back when he got it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

11 hours ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Watch that, now think about this, not long a go, PS3 and XBOX 360 were connected using either ethernet or the terrible WiFi (PS3 was terrible for WiFi)

PS3 was terrible for Wifi? Hmm never knew, had mine for years and had no issue playing uhm PS Home. It was fun.

91 kid here...

I think part of the reason is that while we (from early 90s generation) grew up with windows 95/98/2000 and this was just the "beginning" of common household PCs. As we started using and gained access to PCs back then, they were quite limited in what they could do. We had it much "easier" when it came to learning the OS and the basic functionality of the PC.

Fast forward 20 years and you have a multitude of different OS, different hardware, different settings and bluetooth/wifi/ethernet/fiber cell phones with built in gps... etc...

For a kid growing up now, there is A LOT more to learn regarding computers than when we (early 90s) were growing up.

This isn'tunsurprising at all. They have no idea because they were never forced to. If we wanted to host a LAN party we needed to actually know how to set everything up. And some grew up knowing how to do this and creating a way to idiot proof it to allow more people to play (services like battle.net and steam coming about instead of sticking to LAN parties).

The main point I'd like to make is that people inherently won't pursue something like learning this if they have no need or interest in it. And that's not necessarily bad. For example I am passionate about computers and tech while a friend of mine is into art. I can commission him to make fantastic art pieces and he can commission me to build and setup his new PC. It's making efficient use your skills and interests. I have no interest in spending countless hours learning art techniques, I would rather pour over my VMs and figure out how to setup an ubuntu router or home network and NAS for my living room for hours on end, so it just makes sense to pay others to do art and they can pay me for my computer knowledge.

Another way to look at it is since these people know virtually nothing about the tech they have, they will be willing to pay you for your expertise in the form of security or filling a need they may have that this tech is capable of (intrusion prevention, cloud computing, educating users, etc).