Removing Thermal Compound - The BEST Way?

Do not use acetone near the motherboard or CPU, as that shit will eat through the motherboard and socket, as it melts plastics and fibreglass.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

3 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

fucking PGA sockets, Thermal compound is stronger then the damn socket retention, did that twice myself when swapping out the stock cooler to a Hyper 212 on the work FX6300 CPU,

Don't just pull straight up.  You need to sheer the old thermal grease, either by twisting it back and forth slightly, or by pushing it sideways, then "peel" the cooler off by lifting up on one side of it while pushing down on the other.

Also doing it while things are still semi-warm helps a lot too.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Always stuck with ArctiClean - just a few drops is all that's needed, and since for stuff that you didn't assemble yourself, there's no way of knowing what type of TIM is on there anyhow.

Should have included a lemon in the test - literally cut a nice juicy one in half and squeeze a few drops onto the paste to see how it performs.

Best way is probably just to scrape what you can off with a quick swipe of a business card, and then just dilute the rest with alcohol. The largest problem is that thermal paste is really sticky, so getting it off without diluting it is a pain, and diluting it makes a huge mess.

55 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Best way is probably just to scrape what you can off with a quick swipe of a business card, and then just dilute the rest with alcohol. The largest problem is that thermal paste is really sticky, so getting it off without diluting it is a pain, and diluting it makes a huge mess.

Yup, scrape as much as you can while it's "dry" so it will come off in chunks, then dilute what you can using alcohol or Arcticlean.

I have a bunch of the 2 step Arcticlean because it ended up being cheaper to get the two bottles and a syringe of AS5 than it was to just buy thermal compound by itself.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

@EasonIDontKnowAnything your question has been answered

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I fell in love with LTT because of the knowledge it imparted into its viewers. I am about to tackle something harder than I have ever done in my tech world (a server!), and I'm even going to name it "Linus Server" because I wouldn't even be able to come close to building and operating something so complex if it wasn't for my computer newb self coming onto this tech channel and being inspired, taught, and entertained. So with that said, this video was kind of a sad sight to see, because it is deviating from the original nature of this channel. The recent posts have unfortunately not helped me out at all. I understand you still gotta do the computer review stuff, (and I have no issue with laptop, desktop, etc. reviews), but I honestly believe that sticking to the roots of who you guys are, you will continue to be successful. I would HATE to see LTT lose popularity. I honestly do appreciate this channel a lot. 

Thanks for all you guys do. Good luck. ***and perhaps some more server stuff?*** ;D

This is almost about as good as watching JayzTwoCents and his test for various grocery store products as coolant. Sure it's great for a video, but not exactly practical.

Alcohol is typically recommended for cleaning thermal compound as it evaporates quite easily in small quantities and won't damage circuit boards or metals, making cleanup easy. For example when you spilled a significant amount onto the CPU and mainboard. If you spill water, you have to wait a nominal amount of time for the water to evaporate after mopping up as much as you can. If you used tap water, you have to make sure to clean up any hard water spots with alcohol -- which is what you should've been using to begin with.

Depending on what else is in the hand sanitizer -- e.g. the emulsifiers and any perfumes -- you'd likely want to avoid using that on your CPU. The heatsink, however, will be perfectly fine provided you follow-up with distilled water. One thing that would've been valuable to know is how easily the thermal compound came off the heatsink. And it would've also been better trying this with a heatsink that'd seen some time -- like one of the systems in the editing den if those haven't seen any internal maintenance yet. It wouldn't surprise me if the hand sanitizer would actually be better than thinner liquids in that circumstance since it could sit in place easier and hold onto the thermal compound as it dissolved it without risking going everywhere as you wiped it away. I'll have to consider this next time I need to clean water blocks.

Acetone, as @ashypanda already mentioned, is one hell of a solvent. Don't get it anywhere near your circuit boards. Which means if any of it spills off the IHS and onto the edge of the CPU or the mainboard, you'd better be super quick about cleaning it up and rinsing it away with distilled water to avoid damage. By the way, that kind of damage isn't covered on your warranty.

Soda and orange juice sound like they'd work because both are acids. The problem is both also contain significant quantities of SUGAR! And soda is worse on that since it's a syrup with carbonated water.

Goo Gone and Windex aren't all that surprising. With Goo Gone, however, same applies as with the hand sanitizer: avoid using it on the CPU, but heatsinks and water blocks will likely be fine so long as you follow-up with distilled water to ensure the surface is clean. And it being a gel, it'd probably work very well for cleaning up an old CPU cooler.

With Windex, the concern is ammonium hydroxide, which is an oxidizer. You don't really want that anywhere near a circuit board, or metals period, so if you decide to try it, spray onto a paper towel first, then follow-up with distilled water to make sure the surface is clean and free of residue.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

Now re test all of them after the compound is baked on 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Hey Linus Media Group folks, just out of curiosity: Any word on what the issue was with the seemingly "dead pixel" in this video? I hope the fancy Red cameras aren't already giving you guys troubles...

why wasent gasoline used? its what i use to clean my chips. works really good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

why wasent gasoline used? its what i use to clean my chips. works really good

Do you really want to give Linus gasoline?

7 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Do you really want to give Linus gasoline?

yah? its about as flamable as isopropyle

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know what will happen if you don't remove old paste at all. Is it really that important to always use fresh thermal compound and not go with the rest already applied on CPU and/or cooler?

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X | MoBo MSI B550 Gaming Plus | RAM 32GB Teamgroup @3600/18 | GPU EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW | Case Enthoo Pro M SE
PSU bq! Straight Power 11 Plat. 750W CM | Cooling Scythe Fuma 2 & 5x Corsair ML140 | Sound SB Z Retail | Storage Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
Display(s) Iiyama GB3461WQSU, Dell 24", LG 34UM95 | Keyboard Kinesis Freestyle Edge | Mouse Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | OS Windows 11

this video was the most pointless thing i have seen come out of LTT in a long time.

Have you honestly ever had thermal paste in a state where you physically can't wipe it off the CPU ? and require a cleaning product in order to get it done ?

Just wipe harder for fuck sake, even the nastiest most ancient fag-ash consistency thermal paste wipes off with very little effort.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2017 at 10:05 PM, mrzoltowski said:

Isopropyl or Acetone works too 

could sent me link of sell isopropyl