Intel and Samsung Join the Anti-Trust Lawsuit against Qualcomm

In what was a high profile move earlier this year, Apple sued Qualcomm after Qualcomm held $1b in rebates back when Apple joined South Korea's lawsuit to testify against Qualcomm's patent abuse. 

Well now Samsung and Intel have joined the fray with Samsung claiming that Qualcomm is killing their ability to sell their own Exynos chips, and Intel is claiming that their licensing practices prohibit competitors to Qualcomm being cost effective. 

Souce: https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/15640498/samsung-intel-back-ftc-lawsuit-qualcomm

My take - good riddance. Yes, they own the patent, but they've been abusing the power associated with it and instead of charging royalties on the value of the license contribution, they have been charging royalties on the final value of the product sold... Even Intel's modems used in the iPhone earn Qualcomm royalties on the value of the iPhone when sold. 

That is BS. Royalties based on final value? Qualcomm sucks.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Intel being involved in an antitrust lawsuit but on the plaintiff side. Thats some high level hypocrisy right there.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yep was going to post exactly that, double agreed.

Agreed, Them and Nvidia so if nvidia joins, it would be max hypocrisy.

9 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Honestly speaking, if Apple & friends win the lawsuit, would you expect their phones to go down in price at all?

Think of the disparity in prices of current flagship Qualcomm devices. Does the iPhone and Galaxy really need to be $700+?

I'm all for crushing the bully. But ultimately its pointless if consumers are not affected.

I mean the HTC 11 is 600$ unlocked at launch. Pretty good

Good riddance. These are FRAND yet Qualcomm abuses their position and I have no remorse of them getting ganged up on. 

If nothing else, screwing with OEMs in forcing the use of CDMA modems. CDMA is dying, let it die. Qualcomm isn't even spearheading 5G, a lot of that actually comes from Samsung and Intel and the immense work they've put in on that front; Qualcomm is getting pissy that in a few years time they wont really be needed for much 

'14 rMBP

R3 13 w/AGA

3 hours ago, ResidentRad said:

Good riddance. These are FRAND yet Qualcomm abuses their position and I have no remorse of them getting ganged up on. 

If nothing else, screwing with OEMs in forcing the use of CDMA modems. CDMA is dying, let it die. Qualcomm isn't even spearheading 5G, a lot of that actually comes from Samsung and Intel and the immense work they've put in on that front; Qualcomm is getting pissy that in a few years time they wont really be needed for much 

Yeah, they're very aware that their only advantage is slipping out of their grasp. Their CDMA patents will be useless in a few years and other modems are reaching parity with theirs within a year or two as well. So before long, they'll actually have to compete in a very cut-throat business. It's no wonder they want to avoid that at all costs.

12 hours ago, Equlix said:

Intel being involved in an antitrust lawsuit but on the plaintiff side. Thats some high level hypocrisy right there.

Companies like that don't know morale. They only know where additional money might come from.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I'm thinking that this is a complicated and stupid lawsuit for all parties involved and can only hope that at the end of the day they are all out half a billion...  I mean, are Qualcomm's licensing fees too high? Probably, however the same can be said for all of the other parts used in electronics now...  Apple overvalues their phones and then when they begin supplementing Intel chips into their phones, they use software to degrade the Qualcomm chip phones to match Intel's performance. So IMO, a pox on all of their houses...  

The title of this thread is incorrect.  They only filed amicus briefs on the case being brought against qualcomm by the FTC, that doesn't at all mean they "joined" the case.  They're not plantiffs.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)