What is the most extreme GTX 1080?

en1gMATIC
13 hours ago, Vellinious said:

So far off it's not even funny.  The cooler is EVERYTHING for Pascal, especially if you're wanting to overclock.  lol

If it's not reference it should be good enough... That's what I meant... :D

And even the reference cooler will allow you to OC the 1080 to its max, but it will sound like a jet engine

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

go for anything other than reference card that fit your build since there's not much room to overclock due to power limitation. 

54 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If it's not reference it should be good enough... That's what I meant... :D

And even the reference cooler will allow you to OC the 1080 to its max, but it will sound like a jet engine

No.  Air cooling isn't sufficient to take these up to their max potential.  

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

1 minute ago, Vellinious said:

No.  Air cooling isn't sufficient to take these up to their max potential.  

Will 20-50MHz make a big difference? You can get close to a 1080's max potential with an air cooler...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

23 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

RGB with red accents all over the card, not really useful IMO xD

Well if you're going for the black/red build it's awesome

The ones where their VRM's explode.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

Evga gtx 1080 classified but at $600 might as well wait vega or get 1080 ti

Maybe icx? Reason why I suggest evga is because they are very lenient with over locking and customer service is very good

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Will 20-50MHz make a big difference? You can get close to a 1080's max potential with an air cooler...

There's quite a difference in air and water cooling, and potential max temps under load.  Especially if you consider that what core clock may run on air at 1.093v and run "ok", will probably run perfect on water at 1.05v.  Once you start pushing above 2150, and headed toward 2300, every 10c makes a huge difference in the required voltage to keep that clock not only stable, but running well.

For instance....I've had several 1080FTW that would run between 2189 and 2214 on air, but during testing in Timespy, the frames and graphics score were worse than they ran with 2153 on water.  Just because you can reach that "top shelf", doesn't mean ya should.  So, does that extra 20-50mhz make much of a difference?  Well, 1, it's going to be more than that if you know what you're doing, and 2. the answer is yes.

GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Vellinious said:

There's quite a difference in air and water cooling, and potential max temps under load.  Especially if you consider that what core clock may run on air at 1.093v and run "ok", will probably run perfect on water at 1.05v.  Once you start pushing above 2150, and headed toward 2300, every 10c makes a huge difference in the required voltage to keep that clock not only stable, but running well.

For instance....I've had several 1080FTW that would run between 2189 and 2214 on air, but during testing in Timespy, the frames and graphics score were worse than they ran with 2153 on water.  Just because you can reach that "top shelf", doesn't mean ya should.  So, does that extra 20-50mhz make much of a difference?  Well, 1, it's going to be more than that if you know what you're doing, and 2. the answer is yes.

Water cool for 150mhz.. not even worth the price of admission.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

50 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Water cool for 150mhz.. not even worth the price of admission.

Like I said, it's going to be more if you know what you're doing.

JAK1te3.png

Just now, Vellinious said:

Like I said, it's going to be more if you know what you're doing.

JAK1te3.png

As i said, not worth it over a 3rd party air cooled 1080 at all.

11 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

lol, if you say so

On 5/15/2017 at 10:42 AM, en1gMATIC said:

the fanciest in terms of overclocking features, temps, voltage regulation, pretty much everything

all pascal chips have virtually no voltage regulation. its locked which holds back its ocing potential. fukn nvidia

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

On 5/16/2017 at 7:14 AM, Alpha_GTX said:

go for anything other than reference card that fit your build since there's not much room to overclock due to power limitation. 

i believe the aorus card has an unlocked power limit

16 hours ago, Nickathom said:

all pascal chips have virtually no voltage regulation. its locked which holds back its ocing potential. fukn nvidia

by voltage regulation i meant vrms

21 hours ago, UglyDuckiling said:

im watercooling no matter what card I get. therefore the cooler is irrelevent, and waterblock availablility is important