PSU needs to be compatible with Ryzen?

Folktale

There's no harm in asking. But while I was looking for QVL on RAM, I came across the list for compatible devices and my Seasonic s12II 520W was not on the supported PSU list. 

Does it matter? I know it is a very noob question, but I was wondering if this isn't important, why do they provide compatible lists for such things like PSU, GPU, HDD, SSD and all?

Mobo: ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS.

No it does not

As long as the PSU was intended to use for a PC it should work not like some random OEM PSU with propriety connector that works only with specific motherboard designed in a prebuilt

Those list are for hardware that's been tested by them to work

3 minutes ago, Folktale said:

There's no harm in asking. But while I was looking for QVL on RAM, I came across the list for compatible devices and my Seasonic s12II 520W was not on the supported PSU list. 

Does it matter? I know it is a very noob question, but I was wondering if this isn't important, why do they provide compatible lists for such things like PSU, GPU, HDD, SSD and all?

Mobo: ASUS PRIME B350 PLUS.

No it doesn't

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No it does not

As long as the PSU was intended to use for a PC it should work not like some random OEM PSU with propriety connector that works only with specific motherboard designed in a prebuilt

You're back!

Yeah I agree as long as it's got standard ATX connectors and enough wattage for your built it will work. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No it does not

I keep seeing you and I thought you were gone!

5 minutes ago, Folktale said:

A PC power supply, so long as it's designed well, is going to output power just the same as the next one. They don't care what CPU you have. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

You're back!

Yeah I agree as long as it's got standard ATX connectors and enough wattage for your built it will work. 

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I keep seeing you and I thought you were gone!

A PC power supply, so long as it's designed well, is going to output power just the same as the next one. They don't care what CPU you have. 

does anybody read my status update

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

does anybody read my status update

My bad :) 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

The only difference between most power supplys as far as compatibility is going to be c6/c7 support.  The reason it might not be listed is because it doesnt fully support c6/c7.  if the computer has trouble waking from sleep or standby you may need to disable c6/c7.

45 minutes ago, intender said:

The only difference between most power supplys as far as compatibility is going to be c6/c7 support.  The reason it might not be listed is because it doesnt fully support c6/c7.  if the computer has trouble waking from sleep or standby you may need to disable c6/c7.

I rarely make my computer sleep.

It'll work fine but since the S12 is group-regulated and very, very old you should look for something newer if possible.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

It'll work fine but since the S12 is group-regulated and very, very old you should look for something newer if possible.

damn! Can you suggest me a good one in that price bracket?

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Why didn't you tell me this before?

8 hours ago, Folktale said:

damn! Can you suggest me a good one in that price bracket?

Corsair CXM Grey.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.